Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 12-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #29
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTOKED View Post
He's in good hands now and that is all I can say.
I may be as happy as Dave to hear that........ok, maybe not that happy
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #30
angrykiller1

Drives: 2011 2ss inferno orange convertible
made the two year mark. top number five looks pretty good. still leaks, but on the other side now. floods the back floor. other problems that i dont even complain about any more.

and when did g.m. get to decide that they like you or not? should be about the car, not the person. i know i been an ass, but they should expect no less. i'm ok with being the enemy, just let me know there is no help coming and dont string me out for two years. that's all i want. i aint kissing thier butts over it. they truely dont deserve it. they take your money and then want to be begged? not this time.
angrykiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #31
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
I said it in another thread - if dealership mechanics were PROPERLY TRAINED on how to fix & adjust the tops, these issues wouldn't come up.

My biggest question is: what causes the tops to eventually start contacting the frame of the storage well (when the top is down) over time? My first top had an area on the passenger side that eventually kept flapping against the storage well frame & made a weird "L" shaped rub mark. 8 months after my 2d top was installed, the drivers side of the top started flapping against the storage well frame & began making a hole in the roof fabric. What makes some of these tops slip backward over time? is their a periodic "tune up" we can have done to the top to keep this from happening?

I just had a dealer install the 3rd fabric top & proceed to tell me that it was their 1st time working on a top & how they won't work on one again. They also told me that when raising or lowering the top I had to "manually adjust" some of the straps to keep them from getting caught between different support arms. The next day i went to a different dealer; they looked at it & said that the previous dealer had installed some of the straps incorrectly & that the interior liner needed replaced also because it was getting stretched out unneccessarily on the driver & passenger side right above the windows.

This proved to me that some dealers know what to do & some don't. Some care about our issues & some don't. It's a matter of finding one that really does care & being patient when possible.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #32
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
I said it in another thread - if dealership mechanics were PROPERLY TRAINED on how to fix & adjust the tops, these issues wouldn't come up.

My biggest question is: what causes the tops to eventually start contacting the frame of the storage well (when the top is down) over time? My first top had an area on the passenger side that eventually kept flapping against the storage well frame & made a weird "L" shaped rub mark. 8 months after my 2d top was installed, the drivers side of the top started flapping against the storage well frame & began making a hole in the roof fabric. What makes some of these tops slip backward over time? is their a periodic "tune up" we can have done to the top to keep this from happening?

I just had a dealer install the 3rd fabric top & proceed to tell me that it was their 1st time working on a top & how they won't work on one again. They also told me that when raising or lowering the top I had to "manually adjust" some of the straps to keep them from getting caught between different support arms. The next day i went to a different dealer; they looked at it & said that the previous dealer had installed some of the straps incorrectly & that the interior liner needed replaced also because it was getting stretched out unneccessarily on the driver & passenger side right above the windows.

This proved to me that some dealers know what to do & some don't. Some care about our issues & some don't. It's a matter of finding one that really does care & being patient when possible.
Back when I had my 2011 Vert, I had some of the common rub marks above the doors, took it to the dealer, showed him the marks, and also pointed out what I had heard on this forum regarding the rub marks and a TSB.
Service manager took a look at the marks, looked up the TSB and said no problem, we'll get you a new top,
Now, it does help that I live in a suburb of Detroit, but the service manager talked to one of the retired GM engineers that worked on the tops, and hired him to come in on his own time to help show the dealer's techs, how to replace a top. Yes it cost the service manager quite a bit to hire the guy to come in and teach, but, he said it was well worth the cost in the long run.
From then on, he could have his own techs service th etops without having to farm the job out, and more importantly, they learn from one of the engineers.

The replaced the top, got it right the first time around and I never had another problem.
I did end up getting rid of the Vert, but only because I traded it in on a ZL1 Vert.

It's just an example of a dealer going the extra mile to train his techs how to do it the right way no matter the short term cost.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote