Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-11-2016, 11:19 PM   #1
genuineduke

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS
MRT V2 Exhaust Issues

So I got my MRT V2 Exhaust installed today, but I have 3 questions for you guys(Sorry I'm a rookie for mod).

1. Seems that the exhaust is not long enough to stick out(or the muffler shop cut the pipe short), and the plastic above the tip gets extremely hot after driving. Will this be an issue? Will the plastic material become out of shape?

2. The drone at 1800~2500rpm is like crazy, muffler shop says it will get better several days later, is that true?

3. The exhaust get misaligned after driving, muffler shop says this is normal, and I need to re-align one week later, is that true?

Thank you for your answers!

genuineduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:29 PM   #2
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
No reason to be too short, unless they screwed up. If it dosent stick out of the diffuser by at least an 3/4 inch, take it back and make them fix it. Might find your rear end on fire while cruising down the interstate.

The drone will improve after break-in, but will still be prominent in that rpm range. A good way to reduce that would be with a MagnaFlow X pipe in place of your OEM "H" pipe. A CAI also helps with overall sound enjoyment.

Was it welded? It shouldn't be moving around if it was welded.

Sounds like you need to take it back and have them install it correctly.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:33 PM   #3
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Not sure about #1, but question their answers to #2 & #3. Have had several exhaust systems installed on vehicles over the years. Have never noticed any significant change in sound/drone after a 'break in period.' Also, have never had to 'realign' them, sounds like something wasn't tightened/secured properly.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:36 PM   #4
genuineduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
No reason to be too short, unless they screwed up. If it dosent stick out of the diffuser by at least an 3/4 inch, take it back and make them fix it. Might find your rear end on fire while cruising down the interstate.

The drone will improve after break-in, but will still be prominent in that rpm range. A good way to reduce that would be with a MagnaFlow X pipe in place of your OEM "H" pipe. A CAI also helps with overall sound enjoyment.

Thank you for your answer, it's actually a 5 star muffler shop on yelp, not sure why they did such a bad job, it's not welded, will take it back to see what they can do...
Old 03-11-2016, 11:39 PM   #5
genuineduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Not sure about #1, but question their answers to #2 & #3. Have had several exhaust systems installed on vehicles over the years. Have never noticed any significant change in sound/drone after a 'break in period.' Also, have never had to 'realign' them, sounds like something wasn't tightened/secured properly.
Thank you! Have to take it back to the muffler shop, ugh!
Old 03-11-2016, 11:44 PM   #6
genuineduke

Quote:

Other questions, if they screwed up and cut the pipe short, it there still a way to make the tip stick out?

Also, if it's welded do I need to cut the pipe again if I want to install the magflow x-pipe?

THanks!
Old 03-12-2016, 01:12 AM   #7
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuineduke View Post
Other questions, if they screwed up and cut the pipe short, it there still a way to make the tip stick out?

Also, if it's welded do I need to cut the pipe again if I want to install the magflow x-pipe?

THanks!
Not sure, I mean I know it can be done, just not sure if they are willing to do it right. Might need an extension now, which isn't cheap or ideal. But better than it being too short.

Sounds like they value their public image, so point them to this forum as an opportunity to do (or show) quality work.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:14 AM   #8
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

I would hold off on the X pipe for a month or so. Especially if you have a good CAI. JMHO
Old 03-12-2016, 01:20 AM   #9
genuineduke

Quote:
Not sure, I mean I know it can be done, just not sure if they are willing to do it right. Might need an extension now, which isn't cheap or ideal. But better than it being too short.

Sounds like they value their public image, so point them to this forum as an opportunity to do (or show) quality work.
Thank you! I'll see what I can do tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:30 AM   #10
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

If they hesitate, you might point out that if the exhaust doesn't clear the diffuser, then it could seep into the trunk, and from there, into the passenger compartment. Last thing you want is an undetectable, deadly gas in the cabin!
Old 03-12-2016, 01:34 AM   #11
genuineduke

Quote:
If they hesitate, you might point out that if the exhaust doesn't clear the diffuser, then it could seep into the trunk, and from there, into the passenger compartment. Last thing you want is an undetectable, deadly gas in the cabin!
Good point!

Last edited by genuineduke; 03-12-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:36 AM   #12
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuineduke View Post
Good point! If they refuse, I will do a dispute for my credit card and take my car to another muffler shop
Power to the people!

Actually, I would think they will take care of you given the chance. I mean really, most small business value their reputation.

If not, you have resources.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:41 AM   #13
Hetfield03

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black/IOM
They either cut it too short or pushed the new pipes too much. Yes its natural to need to fix the "centering." What I mean is, one pipe did slip a little and it needed to go back up into place. I watched him do it with an impact wrench both times on the lift. Just the force of the wrench made it tricky to get right. I kinda thought, maybe tighten by hand? I don't mind the sound. Thats why I got them.
ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Hetfield03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:54 AM   #14
Hetfield03

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black/IOM
Also, got a picture? Heres mine.
Attached Images

ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Hetfield03 is offline   Reply With Quote