Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
matar123

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Ls3 Cammed/Blown
650 to the wheels broke an axle

Broke an axle last night dropped the clutch spun shifted to second and boom it broke I’m surprised the stock axles lasted as long as they did. My question is. Is there any chance that the rear end was damaged from this? I jacked the car up and the wheel with a good axle spins freely so I think I’m okay.

Thanks for the help in advance and does anyone have some aftermarket axles for a good deal?
Attached Images

matar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
A good drain and refill/inspection of the rear gears would be in order with the anti-slip additive if stock gear set and such..... Also a set of BMR trailing arms and toes also with their poly bushings and stiffness to absorb things related to wheel hop that usually is the cause of thrashed axles..... Its the catching of traction from lack of traction over and over that breaks the stock axles usually. I would recommend upgrading to zl1 axles if not doing more for the stock set up suspension like BMR toes trailing arms and say eventually a LPW pumpkin cover...to stiffen the pumpkin even....and learn to feather it a little more the stock axles are rated more into 450 rwhp area..... And avoid a hard launch with sticky tires...like stay stock tires and more in the 3500 range unless you want to burn rubber and then you have to limit wheel hop....
Old 08-26-2018, 02:57 PM   #3
matar123

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
A good drain and refill/inspection of the rear gears would be in order with the anti-slip additive if stock gear set and such..... Also a set of BMR trailing arms and toes also with their poly bushings and stiffness to absorb things related to wheel hop that usually is the cause of thrashed axles..... Its the catching of traction from lack of traction over and over that breaks the stock axles usually. I would recommend upgrading to zl1 axles if not doing more for the stock set up suspension like BMR toes trailing arms and say eventually a LPW pumpkin cover...to stiffen the pumpkin even....and learn to feather it a little more the stock axles are rated more into 450 rwhp area..... And avoid a hard launch with sticky tires...like stay stock tires and more in the 3500 range unless you want to burn rubber and then you have to limit wheel hop....

I actually do have bmr trailing arms and I’m planing on eventually getting the toe rods LCA’s and some bushings and I’m going to be upgrading the axles this time to DSS 1000Hp so that I don’t have to worry about that any more. Thanks for the response.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #4
matar123

I’m gonna be installing the new axles myself anyone have some tips?
Old 08-26-2018, 03:21 PM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by matar123 View Post
I’m gonna be installing the new axles myself anyone have some tips?
With aftermarket axles, be very careful in handling them out of the car. Keep them straight. Many aftermarket ones if they flex too far, the joints pop apart. Then you'll me messing around looking for new band clamps and half a day trying to figure out how they go back together. Been there done that. Went to install a set once and they were both bound up. Both axles had cv joints that had popped apart in shipping.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:17 PM   #6
matar123

Does anyone know if stock axle nuts will fit on the DSS axles?
Old 08-26-2018, 11:50 PM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
If I remember correctly, they come with new axle nuts...

My memory isn’t the best but I believe that’s the case... call them and ask... if nothing else they will probably toss a pair in...

I’m on DSS axle set number 4... (I have three useable sets for race events) never an issue... 1400 hp rated axles... I’ll just say I abuse them... severely... love em...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:05 AM   #8
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
DSS comes with their own reusable axle nuts...

Torqued to 199 ft lbs last time I did mine ;o)

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:24 AM   #9
matar123

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
DSS comes with their own reusable axle nuts...

Torqued to 199 ft lbs last time I did mine ;o)

-Don
I’m buying the axles used with nuts but I thought that they were only one time use are you sure they are reusable?
Old 08-27-2018, 06:19 PM   #10
matar123

Here’s another question the axle broke at the shaft that goes into the diff is it going to be difficult to get it out?
Old 08-27-2018, 09:41 PM   #11
mmaattppllaayy

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by matar123 View Post
Here’s another question the axle broke at the shaft that goes into the diff is it going to be difficult to get it out?
Nope the inner part of the cv is still attached which is what you pry against to get the shaft out of the diff. Probably easier for you get out since it’s in 2 pcs.
mmaattppllaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:37 AM   #12
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Something to clarify here: the ZL1 axles don’t work with an SS differential
Old 10-02-2018, 11:23 PM   #13
Js2fst
2010 transformer

Drives: 2010 ss camaro
I am done with the 1400 hp dss half shafts and driveshafts. Beside sending miss matched ones. Stock ones seem stronger and I am looking at gforce ones.
2010 transformer, vertical doors, 315nt05 rears, pedders supercar coilovers, hotchkis sway bars, links, adjustable, toe bars, bmr poly cradle bushings, 1le control arms, bmr tunnel brace, bmr subframe connectors. Cam 227/239-623-620@114 Mast medium bore heads, sw 1 7/8 headers, cat delete, x pipe, 3" dynomax true duals, fuel rails, fast 102 intake and NW 102 throttle body, catch can, rotofab cai, shifter, raptor custom shift light. Dss drive shaft, 3.91 gears. 492 rwhp
Js2fst is offline   Reply With Quote