Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Could GM be cool again?

I liked this article. It makes sense to me and seems like the Camaro could be at the forefront of this for the time being. Pretty much everyone loves this car. Doesn't get more cool than this.
Quote:
There’s an almost palpable lack of confidence that General Motors will exit bankruptcy as a leaner, meaner, stronger company. However, the game plan is basically to envision the New General as a sort of American Toyota, with a tidy lineup of brands to manage and an appealing fleet of economical, fuel-efficient vehicles to sell. Sedans and small, gas-sipping cars will be the future, not the fuel-chugging trucks and SUVs that got GM in trouble.

This is simply not going to happen, and it’s ultimately a good thing, because we don’t want the New GM to be a feeble imitation of Toyota. We want the new GM to be its own thing, as well as a more dynamic player in both the U.S. and international car market.

GM will need to dig deep into its industrial DNA to make this happen. The bankruptcy process will make it much easier. Freed from the burden of having to sustain underperforming nameplates, such as Saab and Hummer, and service heavy debt, GM should become lighter on its feet.

It could also become … well, kind of chic. It’s now officially an underdog for the first time in more than 70 years, and the company has the mayor of Warren, Mich., agitating for a move out of its current HQ, the widely loathed Renaissance Center in Downtown Detroit, and into the beloved Technical Center. There’s a whiff of startup culture around GM now — an astonishing development, given the overall sense of irresistible mightiness that has clung to the company since the 1950s.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31070110/
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
Nice article! I think GM will emerge as a stronger company and be well prepared for the next time the economy takes a dump!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I definitely agree with that mentality. Sure, a few loud busybodies think everyone should be exactly like Toyota, just like some loud business-school students and grads think that every business problem could be solved if everyone was just like [insert hot, Gen-Y friendly Silicon Valley business of the moment here]. That's a very limited view on things and what they don't realize is that companies thrive by tapping into what they do well, and popular favorable perceptions on the company, and leverage those for full effect. A great number of people that really do care about cars, and even some who aren't as passionate, have a great nostalgic view of GM. So many news stories about the bankruptcy keep highlighting footage of vehicles from the glory days. GM made passionate, aspirational cars. They were never just appliances. And as much as people say they just want a car to get them from point A to point B, there are many people out there who do want a bit of pizazz to go with it. Part of Apple's success has been that they made the personal computer and other tech gadgets as something to be seen as stylish, lifestyle oriented, different, and innovative. (I say that and I'm not even an Apple fan, though I do like my ipod touch.) So GM's task is to not only make the transportation appliances people need, but to make them in such a way that they feel very romantic, very special. Let Toyota be soulless. Its tough, but that's what success will take.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
The Dark Knight
Batmobile in Disguise

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
They started great with the Camaro...
Old 06-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
stovt001

Oh and a quick question: why is the Renaissance Center "loathed" and the Technical Center "beloved"? I'm curious about that statement.

Just a dream away
Old 06-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
I think this model IS more like the successful Silicon Valley startups. Instead of being mired in bureaucracy, you cut the crap and just do what you do best. The corporate crap is what kills productivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Oh and a quick question: why is the Renaissance Center "loathed" and the Technical Center "beloved"? I'm curious about that statement.
I was wondering the same... maybe it's seen as extravagant?
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
great article....
Old 06-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
vm1971

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
I liked this article. It makes sense to me and seems like the Camaro could be at the forefront of this for the time being. Pretty much everyone loves this car. Doesn't get more cool than this.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31070110/
if they plug away and keep it up.. yes,
they will be fine. its GM. home to chevy.

and after disasters like the caddy cimarron, chevette, low powered olds with a "442" badge slapped on it in the 80's... they can bounce back.

they already have....
CTS success, Buick surpassing lexus in quality, the ENDLESS success of Impala, the new MALIBU, and of course - CAMARO.

if CRUZE and VOLT live up to the promises and the gleaming first-drives/tests.... well.... im confident. and forever an optimist about the things i love. they know they screwed up and now EVERYONE pays. but when the smoke clears... im excited for a NEW GM!!!

Old 06-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #9
stovt001

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
I think this model IS more like the successful Silicon Valley startups. Instead of being mired in bureaucracy, you cut the crap and just do what you do best. The corporate crap is what kills productivity.
True. My point was more along the lines of the idea that one single business model is the cure for every business problem out there. Any time a company is in trouble, one of the first things you hear is "If they were more like [Google, Apple, Toyota] then they'd be just fine. They don't need to be just like them. Yes they need to move away from the command-and-control old industry model and running things by committee and move towards the newer business models, but still do it their own way.

Just a dream away
Old 06-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
They need to let car guys run the place, hire folks with passion and let them surprise everyone. While everyone is having a good laugh at GM's expense let's hope GM creates a sort of "SKUNK WORKS" like Lockheed did and spring a bunch of innovative, fun, technology advanced cars on the unsuspecting.

But they must address their abysmal customer service. I hate to say this but I’d review everyone’s resume/performance reports and replace non-performers with hungry car crazy enthusiasts that will treat buyers with respect and maybe some good old fashioned FUN.

GM has a golden opportunity to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #11
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek

Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
Honestly I'd rather GM be a huge underdog to Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc. than the titan they once were, as long as the cars are better and the PASSION comes back. Some of GM's more recent designs and cars lacked any kind of creativity or passion, they were just there to be "bread and butter sales" (Aztek, G3, etc). The cars of the 50s and 60s weren't like that. Sure, they appealed to the "bread and butter" CROWD, but they were elegantly styled, passionate cars, made for the masses.

How many of you would turn down a 1957 BelAir? I sure as hell wouldn't.
How about a 1966 Toyota Corolla? I don't know about you guys, but I'd pass.

2SS RJT with black rally stripes, RS package, sunroof, painted engine block cover. It's either that or a damned similar 'vert in a few years.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
vm1971

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
They need to let car guys run the place, hire folks with passion and let them surprise everyone. While everyone is having a good laugh at GM's expense let's hope GM creates a sort of "SKUNK WORKS" like Lockheed did and spring a bunch of innovative, fun, technology advanced cars on the unsuspecting.

But they must address their abysmal customer service. I hate to say this but I’d review everyone’s resume/performance reports and replace non-performers with hungry car crazy enthusiasts that will treat buyers with respect and maybe some good old fashioned FUN.

GM has a golden opportunity to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
WELL said!!!
i would love a stable, solid job in the auto industry.
aahhhh......... that smelll................
Old 06-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #13
stovt001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Honestly I'd rather GM be a huge underdog to Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc. than the titan they once were, as long as the cars are better and the PASSION comes back. Some of GM's more recent designs and cars lacked any kind of creativity or passion, they were just there to be "bread and butter sales" (Aztek, G3, etc). The cars of the 50s and 60s weren't like that. Sure, they appealed to the "bread and butter" CROWD, but they were elegantly styled, passionate cars, made for the masses.

How many of you would turn down a 1957 BelAir? I sure as hell wouldn't.
How about a 1966 Toyota Corolla? I don't know about you guys, but I'd pass.
Agreed. I tend to root for the underdogs, and I prefer niche, individualized, and unique to one-size-fits-all, blend into the crowd.

Just a dream away