Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-03-2023, 10:09 AM   #71
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Fellas Fellas, we all adults here, there is a shit ton of knowledge on this Board.
And I'm for one using it, I got lot's to learn and this is the place.
Old 12-04-2023, 11:41 AM   #72
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
I don’t even know why this tread is still going. It’s annoying as hell to read thru… apparently one guy has all the “answers” just like his spoiler, he don’t listen to no body else…
Not to mention that he really sounds like the "seth21" we had to deal with a while back, that is now gone as well. Where do they come from? I don't even think he was an EMT, the ones I know and work with would NEVER act like this, or even have the attitude!! Wow, glad this one is gone too!! Thanks mods..
Old 12-04-2023, 01:05 PM   #73
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Not to mention that he really sounds like the "seth21" we had to deal with a while back, that is now gone as well. Where do they come from? I don't even think he was an EMT, the ones I know and work with would NEVER act like this, or even have the attitude!! Wow, glad this one is gone too!! Thanks mods..
Me and someone else in our “circle” have the same exact thoughts
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 01:14 PM   #74
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Me and someone else in our “circle” have the same exact thoughts
Yes, I feel ya my brother!! I just got caught up on all the activity from the last two days in all the sections, and man I have to say, he was MOST certainly gettin out of hand!! Wow. Well now I guess we have to be on the lookout for the next one to show up. It's cool that folks come here for help and advice, but why do they feel the need to OWN the forum? That's what blows my mind. And we are just little spring chickens.. haha...
Old 12-04-2023, 05:15 PM   #75
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Yes there was something very similar there. Lets hope the OP gets this fixed without any other distractions. I have learned a lot from his approach.
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 10:45 AM   #76
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
Yes there was something very similar there. Lets hope the OP gets this fixed without any other distractions. I have learned a lot from his approach.
Yes sir, wish him well in his problem solving endeavor.
Old 12-20-2023, 08:31 PM   #77
Gunn
2011 Camaro LT V6

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro LT (V6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Yes sir, wish him well in his problem solving endeavor.
Thanks ladies(?!) and gentlemen, and I'm back with an update! Wish it were better news, but I'm making progress and hopefully by tomorrow will be over and done with this fiasco. Boy have I a story for you!

Before I begin, one PSA: Do NOT do business with Flagship One !! It's a total scam and I fell for it. Their ECM's will not work on a 2011 Camaro and I would assume other models years as well.

Now, let's backtrack to my last previous post on 11/29. At that time Flagship One was going to RMA the refurbished ECM they gave, me for a replacement. Their RMA process is a gauntlet. A couple of emails traded back and forth with tech support that didn't get anywhere, only wasting time. Then have to fill out a two page request form to get authorization. More time. They dragged their feet and were harder to contact than before the original sale, but I got the ECM returned. THEN, they started working on the replacement. More time wasted. Then they sent it to me. More days ticked. I finally received the replacement on the evening of 12/14/2023. This time wasted will be important...

Installed it in the car on 12/15 and followed the key re-learn process. No luck. After 10 minutes, security light would NOT go off. Same as before.

I had previously talked to a local locksmith who thought he might be able to program it. $75 if he can't fix it, $175.00 if he could. He came out on 12/18 and messed with it for a 1/2 hour or so. To my surprise the car cranked and started! First time in over two months. Validated my diagnosis! However, all was not good. The security light flashed constantly at about 2Hz on the RPM gauge. Everything else seemed fine. Since I was happy at that point just to make progress I paid the $175. Though in retrospect I should have negotiated with him as he didn't fix it 100%.

I plugged in my OBDII scanner and downloaded a bunch of engine codes, all pertaining to "P0633 - Immobilizer key not programmed", "B3031 - Key Decoder Device in Assem Learn Mode", "B3060 - Security System Sensor Data Incorrect but Valid", etc. 10 in total. Searched online but couldn't find any solution to the blinking security light. Tried the key re-learn procedure, but no luck. Drove the car a few times without any issues but the check engine light would come on, then go off, then on again, then off every 10-15 minutes or so. All not good. Felt a little Frankensteinish.

So I emailed the local GM/Chevrolet dealer and had a very (VERY) helpful service department person help me out. I usually steer clear of dealers and repair shops, so this was foreign territory for me. None of my cars, from my 1966 Chevelle, to my '04 Silverado 2500HD, to my '14 Malibu to this '11 Camaro have ever been in a shop. Which is part of the problem that led me astray on this resolution. Anyway, she was awesome; quick to respond and super helpful. I asked for and she gave me two options: They would attempt to program the refurb ECM, but no guarantee it would work. ~$180.00. Or, they could install new ECM and program, with two year warranty, ~$1,300.00. I thought about it long and hard and decided to get rid of this junk old ECM (which even if fixed could go belly up tomorrow) and purchase a brand-new one. They had one in stock. They could take my car as soon as I could get it there.

I got an RMA from Flagship One but they said I only had until December 25th to get it into their hands, otherwise it was ineligible for a refund. Why I asked? Answer: They have a limit of 40 days from date of original order to accept refunds. So even though they RMA'd and sent me a replacement on the 14th, I had to have this one back by the 25th. And lets not forget about them dragging their feet for days and days all throughout this process (case in point, when I asked for a refund on the 15th, they didn't reply until the 19th after I sent a 2nd email. Part of their plan? Why yes, of course!

So I got in the Camaro and drove it to the dealer. They told me right where to park it so I could remove the defective ECM myself, understanding my time crunch. After leaving the dealer, I promptly drove to a shipping store and paid for 2nd day UPS Air, where the package is guaranteed to arrive by Friday, 12/22 at 10:30AM. In fact, current tracking info says it will be there tomorrow evening, so there!

Car should be finished up tomorrow. Fingers crossed it all works out, though I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be. I've spent close to $400 in wasted fees: $20 shipping fee to Module Experts to have it repaired. $99 non-refundable diagnosis at ModuleExperts (they couldn't repair it), $175 locksmith fee, and $74.00 20% restocking fee from Flagship One. But all will be fixed and brand-new. I'll just be happy to move onward!

Thanks everyone here for your suggestions and thoughts and I'll keep you updated on a final resolution, hopefully tomorrow!

Tom
Old 12-20-2023, 11:35 PM   #78
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunn View Post
Thanks ladies(?!) and gentlemen, and I'm back with an update! Wish it were better news, but I'm making progress and hopefully by tomorrow will be over and done with this fiasco. Boy have I a story for you!

Before I begin, one PSA: Do NOT do business with Flagship One !! It's a total scam and I fell for it. Their ECM's will not work on a 2011 Camaro and I would assume other models years as well.

Now, let's backtrack to my last previous post on 11/29. At that time Flagship One was going to RMA the refurbished ECM they gave, me for a replacement. Their RMA process is a gauntlet. A couple of emails traded back and forth with tech support that didn't get anywhere, only wasting time. Then have to fill out a two page request form to get authorization. More time. They dragged their feet and were harder to contact than before the original sale, but I got the ECM returned. THEN, they started working on the replacement. More time wasted. Then they sent it to me. More days ticked. I finally received the replacement on the evening of 12/14/2023. This time wasted will be important...

Installed it in the car on 12/15 and followed the key re-learn process. No luck. After 10 minutes, security light would NOT go off. Same as before.

I had previously talked to a local locksmith who thought he might be able to program it. $75 if he can't fix it, $175.00 if he could. He came out on 12/18 and messed with it for a 1/2 hour or so. To my surprise the car cranked and started! First time in over two months. Validated my diagnosis! However, all was not good. The security light flashed constantly at about 2Hz on the RPM gauge. Everything else seemed fine. Since I was happy at that point just to make progress I paid the $175. Though in retrospect I should have negotiated with him as he didn't fix it 100%.

I plugged in my OBDII scanner and downloaded a bunch of engine codes, all pertaining to "P0633 - Immobilizer key not programmed", "B3031 - Key Decoder Device in Assem Learn Mode", "B3060 - Security System Sensor Data Incorrect but Valid", etc. 10 in total. Searched online but couldn't find any solution to the blinking security light. Tried the key re-learn procedure, but no luck. Drove the car a few times without any issues but the check engine light would come on, then go off, then on again, then off every 10-15 minutes or so. All not good. Felt a little Frankensteinish.

So I emailed the local GM/Chevrolet dealer and had a very (VERY) helpful service department person help me out. I usually steer clear of dealers and repair shops, so this was foreign territory for me. None of my cars, from my 1966 Chevelle, to my '04 Silverado 2500HD, to my '14 Malibu to this '11 Camaro have ever been in a shop. Which is part of the problem that led me astray on this resolution. Anyway, she was awesome; quick to respond and super helpful. I asked for and she gave me two options: They would attempt to program the refurb ECM, but no guarantee it would work. ~$180.00. Or, they could install new ECM and program, with two year warranty, ~$1,300.00. I thought about it long and hard and decided to get rid of this junk old ECM (which even if fixed could go belly up tomorrow) and purchase a brand-new one. They had one in stock. They could take my car as soon as I could get it there.

I got an RMA from Flagship One but they said I only had until December 25th to get it into their hands, otherwise it was ineligible for a refund. Why I asked? Answer: They have a limit of 40 days from date of original order to accept refunds. So even though they RMA'd and sent me a replacement on the 14th, I had to have this one back by the 25th. And lets not forget about them dragging their feet for days and days all throughout this process (case in point, when I asked for a refund on the 15th, they didn't reply until the 19th after I sent a 2nd email. Part of their plan? Why yes, of course!

So I got in the Camaro and drove it to the dealer. They told me right where to park it so I could remove the defective ECM myself, understanding my time crunch. After leaving the dealer, I promptly drove to a shipping store and paid for 2nd day UPS Air, where the package is guaranteed to arrive by Friday, 12/22 at 10:30AM. In fact, current tracking info says it will be there tomorrow evening, so there!

Car should be finished up tomorrow. Fingers crossed it all works out, though I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be. I've spent close to $400 in wasted fees: $20 shipping fee to Module Experts to have it repaired. $99 non-refundable diagnosis at ModuleExperts (they couldn't repair it), $175 locksmith fee, and $74.00 20% restocking fee from Flagship One. But all will be fixed and brand-new. I'll just be happy to move onward!

Thanks everyone here for your suggestions and thoughts and I'll keep you updated on a final resolution, hopefully tomorrow!

Tom
Well I'll be damned, that even pisses me Off.
I would like to take that comment and spread it around a bit.
Old 12-21-2023, 05:40 AM   #79
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Thank you for the update. It really sucks that you had to go through that mess.
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 08:04 AM   #80
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Not sure I would place all of the blame on FS1. It probably needed the OEM immobilizer relearn. Maybe they should have known that, but it hard to get a good handle on whether any particular car needs it.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 08:59 AM   #81
1JEWLDSSRS

Thanks for getting back with us with an update. I really hope this is the final leg in this aweful journey you have been on, and it get fixed this time! I would be beside myself if it were me. Sorry about all the money you spent getting it resolved. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2024, 04:44 AM   #82
Cagle

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunn View Post

Tom

Tom,
Did this fix your issues? Just checking on a final update because we're dealing with a similar situation.
Cagle is offline   Reply With Quote