Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
BlakeH827

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Choosing the right supercharger

So I can't decide on the right supercharger.. I really dont want to go the turbo route. I see a lot of people talk good about procharger and maggies. Which is better for me? Pretty much I don't go to the 1/4 mile that often and don't really care to much about that cuz it's a street car on 20s not a drag car. I want a fun fast car to drive. Pretty much I want a good supercharger for a street car. Daily driven, gas mileage is great but I'm not gonna ask for a street terror to get 20 mpg city lol I know there are trade offs. I'm keeping it on 20s with a good set of nittos. Lingenfelter gt9 cam swap and full exhaust. Procharger or Maggie?
BlakeH827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
maxdmax

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Maggie has more torque and is more reliable.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
BlakeH827

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdmax View Post
Maggie has more torque and is more reliable.
How about on the top end? 5500-6000 rpm?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
If it's your first blower car it won't matter. You'll be smiling either way. :beer:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
When I was searching around and asking the same kinds of questions, I quickly learned that everyone likes what they have. This lead me to believe that there is probably no wrong choice.

If you're not doing the work yourself, I'd say talk to a reputable shop and explain what you want and expect and do what they recommend.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
Vinz68

Drives: 68,69,72&10 Camaro's 12 CTS-V
I like the Maggie a lot. Very happy with my car. I think it pulls really good up top as well..
Old 01-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
RRTX-SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
I purchased mine as is.....kenne bell is awesome but not putting it in front of others because i havent driven any other. I dont think u can go wrong with any of the top manufacturers, agree with previous post find some shop u can trust and let them help u narrow down ur decision
416 CI M6-LS3 Kenne Bell 3.6, Livernois Dual Fuel Pump Kit w/KB BAP, Futral Motorsports Blower Cam, SW 2"Headers, Zl1 Dual Mode Exhaust, Street Slayer Billet Twin-Disc Clutch,PFADT lowering springs and sway bars, Iforged Classic Wheels, AI Meth Injection, rx dual checkvalve catchcan, Innovators West 8-Rib pulley setup....690RWHP/701RWTQ @ 10 PSI-CALIBRATED BY KARGER @ SNL PERFORMANCE

1995 Camaro Z28 LT1 M6
383 Fully Forged shortblock
RRTX-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Here is a good graph of the ECS Centri System featuring the Paxton Novi 1500 Self-Contained head unit (Unlike other Centri systems a lot more down-low torque) vs. a Maggie car... The nice part is the ECS system has great amounts of torque, but is not a tire shredder down low, also have nice linear power so you are pulling hard upstairs.

Here is a quick comparison, now our kit was running 1psi more up over 6000RPM's than the Magnacharger did.

2010 Camaro SS - 6-Speed Manual

ECS Supercharger Kit - 9PSI (Standard boost pulley with restrictor plate for non-methanol)
- Factory Exhaust Manifolds w/ Resonator Delete
- 160* Tstat (Included with ECS Kit)
- NGK TR6 Plugs (Included with ECS Kit)

-------------------------------------------

2010 Camaro SS - 6-Speed Manual

Magnacharger TVS 2300 - 8PSI (One size lower on boost pulley)
- Factory Exhaust Manifolds w/ SLP LM II
- 160* TStat
- NGK TR6 Plugs

----------------------------------------------------------------

I have some great deals on the ECS kits right now you can PM me for pricing
Attached Images

Last edited by Matt @ FSP; 01-15-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
BlakeH827

Seems like one thing I notice with the maggies is it seems to need more boost to make equal hp of say a procharger. The guys that would help me w my install all use turbos. A lot of people really talk good about magnacharger. And I really don't hear that much about procharger.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
Matt @ FSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeH827 View Post
Seems like one thing I notice with the maggies is it seems to need more boost to make equal hp of say a procharger. The guys that would help me w my install all use turbos. A lot of people really talk good about magnacharger. And I really don't hear that much about procharger.
Check out that dyno graph that is the ECS Supercharger kit featuring the Paxton NOvi 1500 Self-Contained head unit (Same as a Vortech V3 T-Trim). The Paxton/Vortech units are quieter.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
BlakeH827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP View Post
Check out that dyno graph that is the ECS Supercharger kit featuring the Paxton NOvi 1500 Self-Contained head unit (Same as a Vortech V3 T-Trim). The Paxton/Vortech units are quieter.
That deff made more power.. Quite a bit more really
Old 01-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
For your needs, you want a positive displacement supercharger plain and simple. You get all the boost you pay for at any rpm you choose to use it. On a street level boost setup, why the hell anyone would want peak boost only at high rpm is beyond me. Why not have the same boost at 2500 rpm that's usuable any time you press the go pedal? It makes your engine feel twice as big as it is......and your 4K lb Camaro feel 2K lb lighter.

Abso-fuquein-lutely use a centri if you're after high boost on a built engine and want to fool with meth on an all out rig. Only way to go there. Not the way to go on a milder street rig though
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
BlakeH827

Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
For your needs, you want a positive displacement supercharger plain and simple. You get all the boost you pay for at any rpm you choose to use it. On a street level boost setup, why the hell anyone would want peak boost only at high rpm is beyond me. Why not have the same boost at 2500 rpm that's usuable any time you press the go pedal? It makes your engine feel twice as big as it is......and your 4K lb Camaro feel 2K lb lighter.

Abso-fuquein-lutely use a centri if you're after high boost on a built engine and want to fool with meth on an all out rig. Only way to go there. Not the way to go on a milder street rig though
Well from a roll you won't even put it to the floor until almost 3k so I wouldn't really need it that much at low rpm but I see what ur saying. I want to be able to grow into it though. If I get a Maggie what are the limits on it? In time I want to put forged internals in it and get hi hp numbers.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
Matt @ FSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeH827 View Post
Well from a roll you won't even put it to the floor until almost 3k so I wouldn't really need it that much at low rpm but I see what ur saying. I want to be able to grow into it though. If I get a Maggie what are the limits on it? In time I want to put forged internals in it and get hi hp numbers.
High HP numbers you'll be in Centri..

The ECS build can start off at your modest 600rwhp, add meth 700rwhp, add cam 750rwhp, pull restrictor 800rwhp+ on Dynojet. Stock bottom end.

Then put in the big forged motor and sky is the limit. We made 1028rwhp on a 2011 Camaro with a RHS 427, base ECS kit upgraded with YSi blower when I was up that way.