Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-29-2011, 10:39 PM   #169
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
Then why even offer a V8 option? There is really no difference between the looks of the base and SS versions of the car. With CAFE being the biggest issue facing pony/muscle cars in the future, why decrease GM's CAFE rating by producing a SS versionl? I would suggest your opinion does not speak for the majority of Camaro owners who do consider function before form. Otherwise, how would you account for GM selling any GenIV Camaro's?
Well, you're retarded! After looks of course there are other preferences to consider, but anyone here with a brain (i.e. not you), knows this gen Camaro would not have sold nearly as well had it had the looks of...well...the new Stang.

The almost 50/50 ratio of V6 to V8s sold is all the evidence I need to prove my point. Looks are more important.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:18 AM   #170
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno2SS View Post
I am right with you there, that is why I have decided to put off doing the mods I want. It makes more sense to get a ZL1 and have a warranty.
You will always be slow then, when and if you ever take the car to the track. Why have a ZL1 or a GT500 if you don`t go to the track? Its against the law to street race, so the only place to use that much power is the track. I mean if you just want to drive around and feel "sporty" the v6 version of both cars is plenty peppy. So using that line of thinking, you leave it stock that Zl1 and GT500 are gong to be spanked by people like me in their SS or modded 5.0. Heck when I just had headers, CAI and a tune I was running faster than both the CTS-V and GT-500 in that vid. Sure you have a warranty but you do realize racing or abusing the vehicle can possibly lead to denial of warranty coverage? So there again why not just get a v6 if your not going to mod or race it?

Just saying, I see this argument all the time, and I just don`t get it. No disrespect, it just seems crazy that you would spend that much money on a car, w/ that much power and never race it, again save the 25k and buy the v6 if thats what your going to do, and you have a warranty..
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #171
ironpeddler

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
All these people saying they want warranties/etc. I won't do any mods bull crap when they are spending $55k+ on a new car?!?! Just wait till your brand new $55k+ ZL1 with all the looks in the world supposedly, gets blown out of the water by some crappy looking fox-body that weighs at least at least 1000 lbs. less than you do and completely looks like sh!t. Or some ricer car where each body panel is a different color and the fart cannon sounds like crap, walks you and he is laughing the whole time, thinking to himself what kind of idiot spends all that money on a car that isn't even fast. Believe me you will be wanting to do some mods after that.

The ZL1 will be north of 4000 lbs., at least a couple hundred pounds heavier than the mustang. WHat you think it's easy to get 4000 lbs. moving? You people will be modding, just wait.

Kind of agreeing with what GMrulz stated above me.
ironpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #172
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I have an SS and had a chance to drive the GT one lap at Barret Jackson show this spring. In my opinion you can feel the GT is lighter in the corners but it seems to me to have a little more body roll. However, it has been awhile since I drove an SS with stock suspension but I don't remeber having as much, the SS seems to sit lower, IMO. The Camaro feels more comfortable cornering for me because of the live axle. The GT has better weight to power ratio, but not by much. For me a few bolt-ons is all I needed to take care of that gap. As for the looks, I love the looks of the Camaro much better.

Some people like to point out that the GT is better if you race all the time because it is lighter. But for those of us who like to race, who stays stock? Really, a few cheap suspension components or bolt-ons and your SS is handling better than a GT...plus you have a live axle for free, something the GT will NEVER have without major money to replace it.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #173
Inferno2SS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
All these people saying they want warranties/etc. I won't do any mods bull crap when they are spending $55k+ on a new car?!?! Just wait till your brand new $55k+ ZL1 with all the looks in the world supposedly, gets blown out of the water by some crappy looking fox-body that weighs at least at least 1000 lbs. less than you do and completely looks like sh!t. Or some ricer car where each body panel is a different color and the fart cannon sounds like crap, walks you and he is laughing the whole time, thinking to himself what kind of idiot spends all that money on a car that isn't even fast. Believe me you will be wanting to do some mods after that.

The ZL1 will be north of 4000 lbs., at least a couple hundred pounds heavier than the mustang. WHat you think it's easy to get 4000 lbs. moving? You people will be modding, just wait.

There is always going to be some one out there who is faster no matter what you do. For me it is more then just the engine and sc, it is about the handling and appearance upgrades as well.

I may get the itch to add some additional mods, but it wont be until after the warranty is out. I am not one of those people who are constantly obsessed with going faster and faster, I just want something a bit faster then my SS and the idea of having a warranty on a Super Charged Camaro is hard to pass up. I live in high altitude (5500 feet ) so a high 12 second car in the real world is a low 14 second car up here, I just want something with a bit more kick to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post
You will always be slow then, when and if you ever take the car to the track. Why have a ZL1 or a GT500 if you don`t go to the track? Its against the law to street race, so the only place to use that much power is the track. I mean if you just want to drive around and feel "sporty" the v6 version of both cars is plenty peppy. So using that line of thinking, you leave it stock that Zl1 and GT500 are gong to be spanked by people like me in their SS or modded 5.0. Heck when I just had headers, CAI and a tune I was running faster than both the CTS-V and GT-500 in that vid. Sure you have a warranty but you do realize racing or abusing the vehicle can possibly lead to denial of warranty coverage? So there again why not just get a v6 if your not going to mod or race it?

Just saying, I see this argument all the time, and I just don`t get it. No disrespect, it just seems crazy that you would spend that much money on a car, w/ that much power and never race it, again save the 25k and buy the v6 if thats what your going to do, and you have a warranty..
There is one then one type of racing, you do know that right? Not everyone is about just straight line speed. The track I go to is in Wyoming (High Plains Raceway) and I live in Colorado, it is not something I can do more then 3 or 4 times a year. I go to Bandimere maybe twice a year to run a 1/4 mile. The SC, handling and other upgrades on the ZL1 will give me that little something extra that my SS is missing. I could spend $12k to add most of those things to my SS, or I can enjoy my car the way it is for another 12 to 18 months and trade it in on something a little better and have a warranty. Spend $49k on my SS or spend $52k on a ZL1 and have a warranty, seems like an easy decision to me.

Sorry but no way is a SS with LT, CAI and a tune going to beat the ZL1.

Last edited by Inferno2SS; 06-30-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Inferno2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #174
GMRULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno2SS View Post

Sorry but no way is a SS with LT, CAI and a tune going to beat the ZL1.
Well, at least in the 1/4 it wold be very close... Plus if the drivers not that good in the zl1, game over. I went 12.22 the ctsv went 12.3 in that vid. Looks like it would be pretty close to me... That is if my maths not wrong..

I also agree on the road course, the ZL1 would have an advantage against my car w/ its current setup in the corners, and I would kill it on the straights. I still might turn a quicker time unless the track was almost all turns. Pedders and BMR have things to fix that though. Make it handle better than the zl1 does stock.

However, for me personally I won`t be adding suspension mods as I also have a z51 equiped LS3 Vette that I use for road course racing. ZL1 won`t touch that car. My 2 cars are modded to do 2 different things. 1 to run great in a straight line the other to run great in the corners.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
Old 06-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #175
BigDan

Drives: bug
If your vette is stock it might have a problem with a ZL1 on a road course considering the 2011 GT500 beat the GS at VIR and everyone is saying how the new ZL1 will beat the GT500.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #176
GMRULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
If you vette is stock it might have a problem with a ZL1 on a road course considering the 2011 GT500 beat the GS at VIR and everyone is saying how the new ZL1 will beat the GT500.

Very true, its not stock anymore.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #177
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post

Here, here.
I agree 100%
But, sssshhhhhh......... don't say anything.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #178
GMRULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasKL View Post
On stock tires? Didn't think so. Put tires on a GT500 and you're way into the 11s.
Yep, stock Pirelli`s take a look at the 1/4 mile bolt-on fast list, it has my mods and link to slip. You shouldn`t say didn`t think so until you either know it to be true or have done the research to verify. Matter of fact its in my sig as well, that my bolton times were on the stock pirelli`s.

2010 and below bonestock GT-500`s I`ve seen on drag radials are high 11`s, but 11`s nonetheless, not deep 11`s, I assume you have more knowledge on the subject, as I assume you have one or at least frequent GT-500 boards.
2011`s I have no idea.

I just went to the svt board seems there is a hero run stock on slicks of 11.36@123, seems kinda funny his mph was 123 as slicks don`t make more hp and the next closest stock car had 118 mph... Doubt he was stock w/ that mph is all I`m sayin.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #179
SirMike
Inland Empire Camaro Club

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS, 2015 Challenger
I would love to have a ZL1 and a GT500.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #180
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post
I just went to the svt board seems there is a hero run stock on slicks of 11.36@123, seems kinda funny his mph was 123 as slicks don`t make more hp and the next closest stock car had 118 mph... Doubt he was stock w/ that mph is all I`m sayin.
Its stock besides the wheels and tires. MM&FF has gotten similar mph's from their "hero" runs.

If its the same guy then his "hero run" is an 11.11@124. He is now no longer stock powered since adding a pulley and is now running 10.8@126

BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:05 PM   #181
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
on the road, you will not get noticed...mustangs = meh
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #182
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
If your vette is stock it might have a problem with a ZL1 on a road course considering the 2011 GT500 beat the GS at VIR and everyone is saying how the new ZL1 will beat the GT500.
Can you direct me to the GT500 and GS VIR lap times.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote