Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 02-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #729
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
a package came in today

67mm
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #730
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
someone feel free to buy some of my old parts and pieces.... haha. discount if you know my middle name.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200565

- Full Kooks Exhaust - ($1800, includes shipping)
Kooks 1 7/8s inch Stainless Steel LT Headers
Kooks High Flow Cats
Kooks 3in exhaust
Kooks Mufflers and Tips

- Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - ($180, includes shipping)

- Livernois Dual Fuel Pump - ($750, Includes shipping)

- Stock Camaro 6060 6sp Manual Transmission ($2800, will discuss shipping)

- Monster Stage 5 Single disk Clutch (Monster parts are all brand new, never installed)

- MTI Short Throw Shifter ($250, Includes shipping)
Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #731
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

ELECTRICAL HELP

Hey Guys..

how would one go about finding an electrical drain?

for the last 6 months my car has been dying if it sits for more than 4-5 days.
I have a battery tender on it all the time now, but how would i go about tracking down there the short is coming from?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #732
JusticePete

Quote:
Hey Guys..

how would one go about finding an electrical drain?

for the last 6 months my car has been dying if it sits for more than 4-5 days.
I have a battery tender on it all the time now, but how would i go about tracking down there the short is coming from?
There are more sophisticated methods, but I would start with the circuits that have been wired into. i.e. a meth pump and just pull that fuse and see if the battery still drains. Work your way through the custom wiring as that is the most likely place.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #733
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
There are more sophisticated methods, but I would start with the circuits that have been wired into. i.e. a meth pump and just pull that fuse and see if the battery still drains. Work your way through the custom wiring as that is the most likely place.
thanks JP...

do i have to wait a few days to tell if the battery is draining or can I hook a volt meter up to it and see it drain real time?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #734
JusticePete

Quote:
thanks JP...

do i have to wait a few days to tell if the battery is draining or can I hook a volt meter up to it and see it drain real time?
That is exactly the idea. Sooner or later you'll pull the fuse that shows a drop on the meter.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #735
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

CV joints spraying grease

Has anyone else ran into this.

CV joints end up spraying grease? The first set of DSS halfshafts did this as well. The boots were actually torn.
this is my second set from DSS and they are spraying grease again, but the boots are not ripped. (both axels) (less than 1000k miles on them)

I spoke with another shop this weekend that said they have had the same issue with the stock halfshafts. They figure out it has to do with lowering the car and the way the car squats coming out of the hole, even if just a 1/4 inch, they can pull the boots a part from the rest of the unit.

They fixed this on their shop car by bumping up the coilovers a little bit.
I only have 1in drop springs in the rear, I wonder how I can fix this issue?

Now I have to pull the axels out again to get repacked, but I know it will do it again without a remedy.
They told me I would not have this issue with the either the DSS 9in, 12 bolt, or the lingenfelter rear end, but I will not be installing this till later in the summer.

Any one else notice this in their cars? Unless you recently had your car up on the rack, you may have to go look for grease.

(ROBERT)... did you see this when you tore out the stock rear end?)

thanks
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #736
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
tkrupinski had something like this happen where the driveshaft meets the transmission.

Are hose DSS axles that are doing that? I'd ask Frank about it if they are.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #737
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Kyle - my stock axles did the exact same thing after I put 1" coil overs on. I now have the GForce 9" kit and axles along with the Santhuff coilovers and have zero issues with grease. I figured when my stock ones started leaking it had to do with the angle change with drop springs. Just put the 9" kit in it and be done. You need it anyways.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #738
JusticePete

Quote:

CV joints end up spraying grease? The first set of DSS halfshafts did this as well. The boots were actually torn.
this is my second set from DSS and they are spraying grease again, but the boots are not ripped. (both axels) (less than 1000k miles on them)

I spoke with another shop this weekend that said they have had the same issue with the stock halfshafts. They figure out it has to do with lowering the car and the way the car squats coming out of the hole, even if just a 1/4 inch, they can pull the boots a part from the rest of the unit.

Now I have to pull the axels out again to get repacked, but I know it will do it again without a remedy.
They told me I would not have this issue with the either the DSS 9in, 12 bolt, or the lingenfelter rear end, but I will not be installing this till later in the summer.

Any one else notice this in their cars? Unless you recently had your car up on the rack, you may have to go look for grease.

thanks
The grease in the OE half-shaft and some aftermarket shafts is too low a temperature for lowered vehicles. The seal is designed only to keep things out as the grease is supposed to maintain viscosity. Ina lowered car, the CV joint develops more heat. The heat liquefies the grease and it is thrown out of the boot.

The solution is to repack the CV joint with a high temp synthetic lube.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #739
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
tkrupinski had something like this happen where the driveshaft meets the transmission.

Are hose DSS axles that are doing that? I'd ask Frank about it if they are.
yes, they are DSS, ARD already told Frank the first time this happened.
This other shop was working with Frank trying to determine the issue, they ended up deciding it was the extra angle the axels have under load.... at lift off. haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
Kyle - my stock axles did the exact same thing after I put 1" coil overs on. I now have the GForce 9" kit and axles along with the Santhuff coilovers and have zero issues with grease. I figured when my stock ones started leaking it had to do with the angle change with drop springs. Just put the 9" kit in it and be done. You need it anyways.
yes... it was more than likely the angle change. shouldnt there be a warning when getting drop springs that this might happen? and is it happening to everyone?

I will be getting either the 12 bolt hammerhead or the 9in from DSS, but until then... i dont want to keep slinging grease. I think if I take these out, get them repacked, that it will happen again rather quickly.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #740
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The grease in the OE half-shaft and some aftermarket shafts is too low a temperature for lowered vehicles. The seal is designed only to keep things out as the grease is supposed to maintain viscosity. Ina lowered car, the CV joint develops more heat. The heat liquefies the grease and it is thrown out of the boot.

The solution is to repack the CV joint with a high temp synthetic lube.
interesting... that would be why it is coming out without an actual tear this time... it is more of a liquid form, it must solidfy fairly quickly as it is kind of chunky where it is being slung.

do you have a recommended brand of high temp lube? Or a temp that it must be suitable to?
Old 02-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #741
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
interesting... that would be why it is coming out without an actual tear this time... it is more of a liquid form, it must solidfy fairly quickly as it is kind of chunky where it is being slung.

do you have a recommended brand of high temp lube? Or a temp that it must be suitable to?
As cold as it gets there it's probably freezing in the air!
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #742
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:

thanks
Not at all, and my car is lowered as well...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
427, camaro of the week, detroit, gilmour, texigan, the circle, the mother of all twins