Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
sixty4

Drives: corvettes
PLEASE NEED HONEST OPINION CAMARO VS MUSTANG

Thinking about pulling the trigger. My problem is a friend owns a 2ss and says its kind of boring? I drove it not all that bad. Says the performance is just not there? If he had to do it again said he would go with a Mustang.
So my problem is a Camaro SS or a Mustang GT? Honest opinions please!

NOT trying to start WWIII. Just if given a choice would you purchase a Camaro agian?
sixty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
NBC/CGM

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
Nothing against the mustang but, I love my camaro and would buy it again hands down.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...95717&page=141
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
Cristoff

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS in Red Jewel
I'd buy my Camaro again in a heartbeat. I drove both and it's not even a comparison. To me it boiled down to style more than raw power that I would never be able to use to its fullest potential anyway.

That's why I chose the 2LT/RS in the end. Don't regret a second either.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
Sarah

Drives: Camaro LLT ABM
Lol! You come to a Camaro forum to ask this question, you can guarantee what were all going to say...
Old 06-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
BATMANs

Drives: GTO & NSX
I like DOHC.

And the new 5.0 is the only Mustang I have any respect for.

Especially after I heard that taking the RPMS up to 8k yields 480hp.
2005 GTO Maggie, Forged engine, CAI, Kooks LTH, Magnaflow, Billet Pro shifter, LS7 clutch, 245/275 18" on Petrol Octane, Addco Sways, Koni Yellows, King Springs, Whiteline bushings, EBC Red, X-drilled/slotted rotors, SS brake lines, 55w HID, PLX gauges

1993 NSX Kenne Bell 2.1, Laminova IC, sway bars, NSX-R chassis bars, and non-compliance toe links, Tien EDFC, STMPO exhaust & brake ducts, RM Racing headers, K&N/Cantrall intake, Enkei RP03 17"18", APR GTC-300
BATMANs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty4 View Post
Thinking about pulling the trigger. My problem is a friend owns a 2ss and says its kind of boring? I drove it not all that bad. Says the performance is just not there? If he had to do it again said he would go with a Mustang.
So my problem is a Camaro SS or a Mustang GT? Honest opinions please!

NOT trying to start WWIII. Just if given a choice would you purchase a Camaro agian?
Had the 5.0 been out when I bought my Camaro, It would have definetly made my decision more complicated. I still think in the end I would have gone with the Camaro. In my opinion I like the looks of both, but I think the Camaro still has the edge on styling. I have owned several stangs and really like them. This was actually my first Camaro. I hear a lot of complaining on the interior in the camaro, but after riding in my buddies 2011 california special... I did not think it had any thing on ours. As for the powertrain in the new GT... I do like that a lot. The 5.0 is really a throw back for me because that what my first car was (1986 Mustang GT).

Drive both and get what makes you happy. I can only tell you that I am completely satisfied with mine. The rest is up to you. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
Dr.Pat

Drives: Mercedes C300 Sport
I'm making the same decision...mustang gt vert vs camaro ss vert. I've always been a mustang guy but chevy finally came up with a good looking camaro. While I like the camaro's exterior a little better I think the mustang's interior is MUCH nicer. In terms of performance, on paper the camaro wins but the mustang has won almost every comparison (I know those comparos don't mean much but they can't ALL be wrong and biased).

For me I'm torn...do I go for the mustang and make some cosmetic exterior changes (grill, front bumper, spoiler, etc) and have an interior that I like...or go with the camaro which wouldn't need much on the outside (maybe rims, tint and exhaust) but id be pretty much stuck with the interior (unless I paid $$$$$ to have a custom radio/center console made)

I'd say drive both...come up with pros and cons of each and see which cons could realistically be changed.
Dr.Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Dude, you're on a Camaro site. What do you think everyone is going to say? Drive them both and make your decision.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
PM Designs

Drives: 2011 Camaro, 99 Silverado , 69 C-10
I'm not a ford guy so the decision for me was easy. But as others said drive both and compare and purchase whichever car you prefer.
PM Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
BigDan

Drives: bug
General advise

You can turn both cars from boring to exciting with a few mods so I think your decision should come down to looks, and how you feel behind the wheel. I also think the SS and GT are boring in comparison my GT500 and the future ZL1. So it looks like your going to be modding so you should consider what is a better platform for you to start working with based on your goals since the GT and SS are two very different chassis each with pro's and con's.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal opinion

I like how Ford keeps things exciting and improving its product like the new 5.0L, Boss 302, 2011+ GT500 PP, lighter chassis on the way for 2014, and new speculated GT500 power plant. Their FRPP catalog can turn a stock GT into a Boss or GT500 killer with the huge selection of stock and modified parts that wont void your warranty on the new 5.0's.

I'm really envious of the new 5.0L in the Boss 302. I would love to get one and put a cog drive Procharger @ 15psi on it. That would be EXCITING as heck especially making 700whp+ at 8,200rpm in a 3,500lb car!!! Heck the 444hp Boss is running 11.4 in the 1/4 stock powered, imagine almost doubling the hp and all for $6k.

I like the SS more for looks and cruising kind of like the Challenger is (mainly due to its size, weight and IRS) Sure it can be made to out perform the new GT but I feel like its more comfortable being a relaxed torquey cruiser then a competitive racer.

PM me if you'd like more info, as I'd also like to avoid WWIII

Last edited by BigDan; 06-09-2011 at 07:40 PM.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
sixty4

Drives: corvettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post
Dude, you're on a Camaro site. What do you think everyone is going to say? Drive them both and make your decision.
Yeah but most people will give you an honest opinion? Good Bad or ugly I would hope? Even on a Camaro site as you put it! A test drive is not all that long of a time frame to determine if a car is right for me, so I ask.
sixty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #13
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
mustang is better performer. my friend did some mods, and his gains were greater than mine. so the engine is nice for modding. but my friend did say that if the camaro had his performance he would get a camaro because its a better looking car.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #14
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, CGM w/ Silver Stripes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Lol! You come to a Camaro forum to ask this question, you can guarantee what were all going to say...
Are you kidding me? Have you seen how many Mustang, Challenger and other owners are allowed to troll on this board? ALREADY 20% of the commenters on this thread are Mustang owners.

Momma didn't bronze my shoes, but when I turned 16 I inherited a lead foot.
Devryn17 is offline   Reply With Quote