Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 11-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #855
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Haven't had to much time to work on the '38 but did manage to get all the glass in. It all fits nicely with the exception of the windshield. I've been driving it here and there around town, dying to tear into it. I've been thinking about it and I may use the 6l80E out of the Camaro as well as the engine.

On another note, haven't sold the Camaro yet so if anyone is interested in it or any of the parts off of it I may break it up. Looks like the sale of my shop is going through so I need to have this gone. Such a deal I have for someone.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:22 PM   #856
CFD

Instead of working on the '38 I've been driving it around town because we've had a couple of very mild days. Everywhere I go people keep waving at me and I didn't understand why at first, then I realized they are not waving at me, they are waving back at me. I find it quite humorous because I'm not waving at people I'M USING HAND SIGNALS. LOL. No electronic turn signals.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:31 PM   #857
CFD

Haven't done much else but a little wiring. One thing I did change my mind on was going with the 4L80E, I've decided to go with the 6L80E out of my Camaro. This will allow me to retain Tapshift. I'll design a custom shifter for it when the time comes, something nostalgic most likely.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:43 PM   #858
CFD

Hi all.

Getting close to moving my shop. Should be by the 2nd week in January if there are no delays.

I'm looking forward to it so I can tear into the Buick. It's pretty much been my DD. Got a lot of little things done that will save time later. Got wipers installed although I'm not happy with the way it works so may go a different route. It now has heat, got all the window regulators, door and trunk latches, the cowl vent and tank filler all freed up and working smoothly. I programmed the glove box lid and dash panel for the gauges and have all the needed switches mounted. These things won't be affected during the reformation so it's not wasted work.

Now for the good stuff. During a ride this weekend I stopped at a local recycle yard and put the car on the scales. As it sits now it's got a 123" wheel base and weighs in at 3020 lbs. There will be a lot of work done that will have an effect on the weight but the components that will add weight are not that much, mostly some tubing for the frame and interior components. On the other hand the getting rid of the Oldsmoblie front frame clip and swapping the 350 olds. motor with the much liter LS motor I would think will keep this thing around 3200 lbs or so. Should be fun.

While cleaning out my shop I took all the partially used cans of various flat, matte and satin black paint and went to town on the car. Looks better and is better protected until I tear it down.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2017, 12:16 PM   #859
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Nice! That is going to be a beauty when she’s done..fast too!

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #860
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Nice! That is going to be a beauty when she’s done..fast too!

-Don
It should be fun, the Camaro was no slouch so with this wheel base and significant weight savings with the chassis set up right this thing should be fun for sure.. As it is with a late seventy's Olds 350 and rear end, it's probably what around 245 hp. and highway gears as we used to call them, lol , it still lights up the tires with a tickle of the gas pedal and it motivates pretty good.

This is the beginning of it's resurrection.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #861
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Oh WoW... what a badass project!!!

Love it...
Old 12-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #862
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Oh WoW... what a badass project!!!

Love it...
It's the best of both worlds for me. The Camaro was the first modern muscle car for me, I've always built old school cars, nothing newer than 70's. When I decided to get the Camaro I sold my '31 chevy 2dr sedan big block. Now that the Camaro is gone I couldn't part with the engine as I finally got all the bugs out and it was running fantastic so decided to combine old and new and this is what I came up with.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #863
casty

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
hey CFD, why did you add an additional bung on the side on the intake? I know the one on the front bottom was for a catch can but couldn't figure out what the one on the driver side was for. just got one of these intakes and love the way you modded yours. will be having mine done also. thanks for any input
casty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #864
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by casty View Post
hey CFD, why did you add an additional bung on the side on the intake? I know the one on the front bottom was for a catch can but couldn't figure out what the one on the driver side was for. just got one of these intakes and love the way you modded yours. will be having mine done also. thanks for any input
If I remember correctly it was for the evap hose.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:45 PM   #865
CFD

Hi All

Haven't been posting much as I have been super busy trying to get my shop finished while maintaining my business but I have been working on the '38 Buick. I didn't have the time or space to take the body off to work on the frame so it has pretty much become my DD so I decided to work on the things that will be used for the final build. I finished the gauge cluster, made a new center section for the dash because who ever did the work before me was a typical hacker. Installed a Pioneer unit with Nav and a back up camera. Got the dash cams mounted and all the switches in their final location so everything is functional for daily use.

The frame on the car is pretty much useless to me. At some point some one cut the front frame section and rear end out of a '78 Cutlass and married them to the frame
of the Buick, the work is the same quality as the dash was. lol. It has also been cracked, welded and has a bent side rail, because of this I decided to build a new frame. I started on it the beginning of the week and have quite a bit done to the main structure. By the end of tomorrow I should have the front horns boxed and I will then start on the suspension. I'm trying to go as far as I can without having the body for fitment, as it is I'm relying on measurements from a hacked up frame and a pencil sketch blueprint I found on the internet. Most of the info is useless but it gives me two or three important dimensions. I still have the original block out of the Camaro for setting up the mounts etc so I don't have to deal with the built motor's weight, I also have a 4l80e case I can use for fitment purposes,

I'll post up some pictures of the chassis tomorrow as well as one with the dash in the car. Here's a few of the dash during reconstruction.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #866
CFD

Got quite a bit done on the new frame today. Most of the rails are boxed except for a small section left open for access. Laid out the center line for the front axle so I can start working on suspension parts. Got lots of welding to do. lol
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2018, 07:40 PM   #867
CFD

Playing with the Buick again. A buddy of mine hooked me up with a rearend for the car. It's a Hemi Dana 60. It has been shortened, has a Srange Pro Spool with 410 gears, Strange 35 spline axels, stud girdle rear cover u-joint blow shield, ladder bars and Wilwood 4 piston calipers. This thing is bullet proof.

I started to mock up location for the motor so I can get the cross member welded in. Tomorrow I have the front end components coming in, going with a gasser style straight axle.

By the weekend I should have the front suspension tacked in and the rearend mounted.
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #868
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Cooking with gas now!

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote