Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #57
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
I really wish you would go away. A car company cannot afford to offer 6 engine choices for each model.
At last we agree on something! Too many engines is a bad idea.

So let's get rid of all the engines that the buyers don't choose if offered the choice. Telling them what they must choose is stupid.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #58
VenomInside
Just Grazing

Drives: 2003 EB Corvette Z06
I'll wait till the final product is at the autoshow.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert 6MT (Lemon-Sold)
2003 Sonic Blue Cobra 458rwhp/458rwtq (Sold)
1996 Mystic Cobra 455rwhp/400rwtq (sold)
1999 BGC T/A 377rwhp/360rwtq (sold)
2004 Silver Cobra 600rwhp/540rwtq (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
2012 zl1... the new 99 cobra?
VenomInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #59
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
The issue most people have is that they are being denied the ability to choose which type of engine they will be able to get because some pencil pushers in an office building decided they know what is best for everyone else.

The "everyone else" are left to choose between something that may not suit their needs, and something else that does suit their needs but is only available as a high end limited run model with a high price and limited production (to keep it from impacting the prescribed quotas the office masterminds "decided" upon.)

I suggest offering whatever engine that most people will choose. If they choose turbos then so be it. If not, then turbos are not what is needed at this time.
It would be interesting to see the preferences of v6 camaro/mustang owners and what they would choose if a turbo 4 was available. I also doubt that the ecoboost 4 will add much cost beyond the 3.7, especially if they plan to upgrade to DI on the v6 in the IRS mustang. Some yes, but I doubt it will be very much.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #60
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
It would be interesting to see the preferences of v6 camaro/mustang owners and what they would choose if a turbo 4 was available. I also doubt that the ecoboost 4 will add much cost beyond the 3.7, especially if they plan to upgrade to DI on the v6 in the IRS mustang. Some yes, but I doubt it will be very much.
A lot of the "choices" we get are distorted by the car manufacturers attemtping to encourage certain behaviors so their fleet mileage meets arbitrary standards. For example, how many people would buy a Camaro SS with an LS9 or LSA option if the engine was a standalone option with no hidden costs like any other engine choice. Right now to get such an engine, you must get a limited production model with all sorts of other performance addons and a massive price tag.

I believe that if one of these engines was a simple option that they would sell a massive percentage of Camaros with that engine.

But, since they bundle the engines with trim levels and other options these days you do not get a clear picture of who is buying which engine and why.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #61
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
Quote:
I can't disagree with the potential for costs down the road as turbochargers present an additional part of the system, but the turbocharged engines of 10 years ago are worlds behind the modern versions. Modern synthetic oils have also nearly eliminated some of the problems exhibited by earlier turbo cars which necessitated turbo timers. Personally, I never keep cars long enough to worry about 100K+ miles, but I can see where your concern is.
Well real world experiance here will offer up a difference of opinion. I know of three turboed VW owners that have shelled the turbos. I know its VW and not Ford, and VW makes large hunks of manure, but its still applicable. They were synthetic oil only, turbo makes and one shelled the impeller out at around 105k, and the other two were around the mileage Captain was talking about. I wouldnt personally wouldnt buy a turbo daily driver. Now a weekend only driver I would consider as a fast play toy for sure.
Hesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #62
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
If you haven't done so, check out the EcoBoost torture test episodes on YouTube! Also the EB turbos are water cooled which helps prevents coking the oil.

I have probably over a 100 passes at the track. Our flex is 11 months old and we have 41,000 miles!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #63
8cd03gro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesh View Post
Well real world experiance here will offer up a difference of opinion. I know of three turboed VW owners that have shelled the turbos. I know its VW and not Ford, and VW makes large hunks of manure, but its still applicable. They were synthetic oil only, turbo makes and one shelled the impeller out at around 105k, and the other two were around the mileage Captain was talking about. I wouldnt personally wouldnt buy a turbo daily driver. Now a weekend only driver I would consider as a fast play toy for sure.
I say synthetic oils have eliminated the need for a turbo timer because it is much harder to, "bake" robust synthetics in the housing by turning off the engine after some spirited driving. This used to be a big problem with turbo cars. That doesn't mean the turbo can't still lose a seal or exhibit other problems. Turbo cars require more regular maintenance than your typical N/A cars and they're unlikely to last 300k miles, but they'll do fine if you take care of them. I wouldn't drive VW anything for reliability.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #64
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
I say synthetic oils have eliminated the need for a turbo timer because it is much harder to, "bake" robust synthetics in the housing by turning off the engine after some spirited driving. This used to be a big problem with turbo cars. That doesn't mean the turbo can't still lose a seal or exhibit other problems. Turbo cars require more regular maintenance than your typical N/A cars and they're unlikely to last 300k miles, but they'll do fine if you take care of them. I wouldn't drive VW anything for reliability.
Actually the EB turbos are water cooled to help prevent the oil from "coking"...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #65
04svtsnke

Drives: '04 Cobra
Ford will have a EB I-4, DI 5.0, and special addition svo with the 3.5 EB a year after the first models come out. It's hard to say what the Shelby will have in it but I'm sure it'll have enough hp the camaro won't be able to catch. For those with the IRS concerns, the terminators weren't designed around a IRS, these next models will be so the inherent design flaw found in the terminators won't be there in the newer models. Of course you'll have to replace the bushings throughout but that's the name of the game with its equipped cars. Of course everyone is interested what the new mustangs are going to have but what is Chevy going to do to one-up ford?
04svtsnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #66
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04svtsnke View Post
Ford will have a EB I-4, DI 5.0, and special addition svo with the 3.5 EB a year after the first models come out. It's hard to say what the Shelby will have in it but I'm sure it'll have enough hp the camaro won't be able to catch. For those with the IRS concerns, the terminators weren't designed around a IRS, these next models will be so the inherent design flaw found in the terminators won't be there in the newer models. Of course you'll have to replace the bushings throughout but that's the name of the game with its equipped cars. Of course everyone is interested what the new mustangs are going to have but what is Chevy going to do to one-up ford?
I doubt they would put a v6 turbo in stang in fear of beating the 5.0 that would just be dumb on there part to that. I think they may offer a SVO version of the I4EB with more power then a stock one but not a 5.0 killing v6.

As for the chevy having to one up the mustang I think in terms of handling it already did and that's why ford has chosen to go back and try irs again to see if they can match not only the performance of the camaro but also the ride quality that comes along with it. Motor wise that's a toss up I like the simplicity of the ls platform but I'm not sure if I can still say that once they release the new di engines but the ls motor has proved itself worthy when it comes to making power,durability and easy to work on. One thing that I want to se is how ford and Chevy are trying to shave off a couple hundred pounds yet ford is doing it while also adding irs.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #67
8cd03gro

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Actually the EB turbos are water cooled to help prevent the oil from "coking"...
Most modern turbos are both water and oil-cooled. Still, if you were to run conventional oil in the car without letting the turbos run for a bit before shutting it off you may run into problems down the road. When the car is off, coolant stops flowing, as does the oil.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:38 AM   #68
eolson
eolson

Drives: 2006 premium Package Mustang GT cou
Only companies that have the permission to use the magnetic Ride Control technology are ahead of the "handling" game when it comes to performance/ride quality.

The real question is what has Ford or what will Ford, and everyone else, come up with to match or share in the Magnetic Ride control technology? Or are they going to steal it like the Chinese do, and simply show up with it next year?

This combined with Ford having actually taken it's time and spent some money on designing a compatible modern IRS, unlike last generation where no one took it seriously, is critical.

Ford has had a very long time with it's success with the 05 platform, and it's knowledge of GM's MR control, to design a modern chassis to incorporate IRS and a version of MR control, so let's hope they can pull it off, and give us a car with current handling technology. Please!!!

Engine wise it's anybody's guess. What would be the general gas milage stats on a 4 cylinder eco boost (non gay) turbo that was powerful to beat the current 6 cylinder, since turbo allows easy driving without activating the fuel drain?? Anyone?

We already know what a 6 cylinder turbo would get us. The GTR.

I doubt Ford will give up the Coyote for next generation. Erik
2006 Prem Pkg Mustang GT coupe. Saleen SC,10psi, 454rwhp,442rwtq, Complete Steeda/H&R, suspension change out, with weight loss, Techco Watts link, Stoptech big brakes, Race clutch, Alum. flywheel, Alum 1 pc driveshaft, 9x18,10x18 chrome bullit wheels, 285/40/18,255/45/18 nitto 555 tires. 3545 lbs currently. New car scent air freshener.
eolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #69
GrabberB5.Slow

Drives: 2011 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
The next couple of years are gonna be awesome for all of us. All we can do for the next few years is just sit back and .

Quote:
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
there is going to be an ecgayboost mustang.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #70
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Quote:
Personally, I never keep cars long enough to worry about 100K+ miles, but I can see where your concern is.
Reliability comes into the resale value of the car. Even if you only drive the car for two years, if it has poor reliability stats, you will get killed on trade-in.