Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: mandatory high performance driving course for sports car owners ,& drivers
No anyone can drive any car without training 114 69.94%
Yes All drivers should have to take a high performance driving class to drive 18 11.04%
yes but only the owners at time of purchase 6 3.68%
It should just be offered,but the cost is still figured into the cost of the car. 25 15.34%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #15
DrDJ

Drives: 2013 ZL1 White A6
I totally get what the OP is saying but requiring a driving class wont solve the problem. There are just too many issues with that. Who takes the class, the parent, children, children below driving age, etc, etc. For whatever ideas can be thought up to try to correct the problem there are situations that make such a class impossible to manage.

Additionally I work in the military. Whenever there is an accident there are always significant efforts put into preventing the accident again. Which in theory is good and works sometimes but there is one piece of the puzzle that can never be corrected...You cannot preempt stupidity! People do stupid stuff, and drive like morons, and make idiotic choices and there is no way to prevent this entirely.

So while I agree with the OP that a high HP car can be very dangerous I don't see a formal class as the way to address it. From my perspective it comes from parents teaching their children how not to be morons, and parents not trusting their children with a car that is beyond their ability to manage. My children will never drive the ZL1 without me in the car. No dates, no friends, nothing. Keys will be hidden when wife and I are gone. Its too much risk for an inexperienced driver to handle and that is my parental way to manage my children. Its my responsibility for now, not for a class to attempt to teach.
DrDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #16
mr_honez
Wifey Lover

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by white 2SS/RS View Post
Seriously?
What ever happened to personal responsibility?
Or hell, how about this novel idea....PARENT YOUR KIDS!

Take your new law and, ah well....you get it...

And there is no poll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinjc View Post
Sounds like natural selection to me. The stupid MUST die off!
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I concur. We should kill and eat all of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
Sounds just like Obamacare to me...
Having the government making choices for me again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinjc View Post
There are not enough poll options ,where is the option "tell the Nanny state to F$@k off!?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX SS RACERX View Post
Do the math. Stupid is stupid! Unfortunately 'kids' (and adults by the way) do dumb things in vehicles. Most happen in every day drivers, ie) Cobalts, Neons, Tauruses, etc. Like said-PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY AND PARENTING! When will the 'EXCUSES' stop? Just what we need, another Big Brother program to protect us from our self. Probably not a good analogy but did you happen to see Brad Keslowski on pit road-he should of took a driving class! Maybe he wouldn't of plowed Kasey??? Sorry for the rant-just sick and tired of PC BS. I may take a class in English/Grammar but NOT driving:-/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
and you think its the cars fault because? A moron is going to be a moron regardless of the car they drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDJ View Post
I totally get what the OP is saying but requiring a driving class wont solve the problem. There are just too many issues with that. Who takes the class, the parent, children, children below driving age, etc, etc. For whatever ideas can be thought up to try to correct the problem there are situations that make such a class impossible to manage.

Additionally I work in the military. Whenever there is an accident there are always significant efforts put into preventing the accident again. Which in theory is good and works sometimes but there is one piece of the puzzle that can never be corrected...You cannot preempt stupidity! People do stupid stuff, and drive like morons, and make idiotic choices and there is no way to prevent this entirely.

So while I agree with the OP that a high HP car can be very dangerous I don't see a formal class as the way to address it. From my perspective it comes from parents teaching their children how not to be morons, and parents not trusting their children with a car that is beyond their ability to manage. My children will never drive the ZL1 without me in the car. No dates, no friends, nothing. Keys will be hidden when wife and I are gone. Its too much risk for an inexperienced driver to handle and that is my parental way to manage my children. Its my responsibility for now, not for a class to attempt to teach.

All the above and then some. We are too much of a nanny nation as it is. Leave the nanny laws in Europe where they belong.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #17
RX SS RACERX

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen=5 View Post
a lot of the topics on this fourm are unnecessary and the same topic over and over and over....I understand there are kids that can be trusted,(it not just kids)I understand having it and not using it...It was the same reason I purchased and paid for a ZL1750 after being disabled knowing full well I would never race competitively again,or race around in it either,I just enjoy having it..
I do not disagree with some of the comments,as we all have the right to our opinion,and it was the reason for the poll, I just dont see what is wrong with teaching people to drive,and yes you can still drive like a fool in a civic ,for that much a state board

If they had a program to just offer the course to owners, maybe that would be the best way to do it....But this is better than talking about the next color for the 10,000th time....
I agree your premise of a 'class' has merit, but only for those purchasers who desire the option. Problem is that 99% of those choosing to take advantage of a driving class are probably 'safe' drivers anyway. SPEEDRACER'S wouldn't dare to get some instruction-just human nature. Guess that's where the 'Natural Selection' theory applies,IDK
Old 04-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #18
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen=5 View Post
Well thats what the poll is for,its not just about kids...When you buy a motorcycle they offer a free class to teach people to drive the type of bike they have purchased,street or dirt bike...
What is wrong with teaching people to learn to drive the type of car they have purchased...Most people that own a vett or a high end car have no clue how to drive it at speed,or how to handle it when it gets out of control....But like i said its just a poll,and if you think that teaching people to drive is a bad idea then vote that way....

We all have to take drivers Ed dont we ?,so what is wrong with teaching people to drive fast safely...
Are you nuts? There have been high performance schools around for better than 40 years. If you lack the expierece to fully utilized a high performance vehicle then either dont attempt to use it at its full potential or get some training. You can buy a gun and shoot yourself or not. You can get a pilots license and decide to do aerobatics or not. This is what makes this country great, is the power of choice. Quite contrary to your beliefs, must people,still choose very wisely. And for those that don't have it can easily get training. Don't believe the hype, not all people are created equal, some are just stupid...
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:42 PM   #19
Brownster

Drives: 1966 GTO Convertible/ZL1 Vert
Fast cars have been around for a long time.
There is a learning process that everyone goes through with any car they may drive.
In my opinion,modern cars have made it easier to drive them faster with more control.
The problem comes with more people on the roads and therefore more unpredictability with their behavior.
IMO, a person with ANY car should find a desolate road to learn it's characteristics.
Brownster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:42 PM   #20
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
While we at it , let's make a law/test to find out who can be a parent !
I have to leave it
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #21
Kevlar382

Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
You having your racing license doesn't mean you are above having a wreck on the street. Just how many 200 mph cars do you think are out there, but I get your point.
I was given a new 1971 Z/28 for my 16th birthday and my brother was given a new 427 Corvette for his. We never hurt or killed anyone. I still have my Z/28 to this day and it has never even been in an accident. Not saying I'm above making a mistake, but it's in the parenting, we were brought up to respect what we have and the other people out on the roads.
The only way you can control this at all is though the Ins. companies. I'm very involved in high performance boats, use to race and now run Poker Runs. To ins. them most ins. companies make you take a high performance boating class. They could offer a discount to those who do and it would save them money in the long run.

SargeantSarcasm, you sound like the kind of young adult that makes the rest of us proud, keep it up.
Kevlar382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #22
Sean Summers

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Typical poll with gross prejudice in the questions!!!

No anyone can drive any car without training

How about: No I don't need the government taxing me and further restricting my freedoms.

Yes All drivers should have to take a high performance driving class to drive

How about: No to a law but, all drivers should be offered a high performance driving class to drive

yes but only the owners at time of purchase

How about: Yes but only the owners responsible for the HP equipment

It should just be offered, but the cost is still figured into the cost of the car

How about: No to the law, it should just be offered, but the cost is still figured into the cost of the car
Sean Summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #23
TripleBlkZL1

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10 & 18 2500HD Duramax
Sorry bro but you make some stupid a** threads...

2018 2500HD Duramax
TripleBlkZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #24
Mwalterhouse

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS LS3
There are already to many laws and ordinances in existence!
Mwalterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #25
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
We do not need more laws, just be responsible. And teach your kids the same. Do not have the government get into the business of keeping dumb kids safe! That's the parents job. I do not want to pay for a law to keep your dumb kids safe.
Yes it is a dumb topic.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #26
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
"You can't fix stupid." Doesn't matter how many laws you want to put in place.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #27
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
There are two types of high performance drivers. Quick and the Dead.

You cannot legislate against stupidity. There have been many well-intentioned, stupid people that have tried to pass laws (and some have succeeded, but didn't help really) but yet the stupid ones ALWAYS find a way to circumvent laws/safety and maim or kill themselves anyway.

Nature takes care of its own. The stupid (high risk takers) inevitably take themselves out. Unfortunately they sometimes take innocents with them. That's why you drive defensively (if you're smart).

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #28
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
It's just like guns, guns do not kill, people kill. No guns, it will be bombs or knifes.

Why blame the bad things people do on anyone but the person that does it. The legal system is always wanting to blame 9/11 on all, but the dead as# holes that flew into the towers.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote