Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-22-2019, 11:38 PM   #1
Camaro_Fuzion

Drives: 2022 Chevy Camaro 2SS Redline
No oil pressure reading. Now oil is leaking from 2010 Camaro 2SS

I have no oil pressure reading. Now oil is leaking from 2010 Camaro 2SS My guess is that the oil pump is dead? Sears ran a free basic diagnoses test and the vehicle did read code P0523 ENGINE OIL PRESSURE I've attached some pictures of this mechanical problem. I wonder if it's just coming down to replacing the oil pump or something else?
Attached Images

Camaro_Fuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #2
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Just want to point out that’s the oil heater in the pic if you didn't know, but based on the pic there's oil leaking somewhere. You can’t see it but the pump is located in the front of the block behind the bottom pulley (the harmonic balancer) and is covered by the timing chain cover. Take a pic of what that area looks like as the most likely area for a leak. While a bad pump would def cause zero pressure it would not necessarily cause a leak. Was the cam ever replaced? If so lots of opportunities to cause oil leaks (pickup tube to pump connection, oil pan gasket, timing chain cover). Did you have an oil change or bottom out the car recently?

Did you drive the car to Sears with no pressure reading?
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:00 AM   #3
Camaro_Fuzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Just want to point out that’s the oil heater in the pic if you didn't know, but based on the pic there's oil leaking somewhere. You can’t see it but the pump is located in the front of the block behind the bottom pulley (the harmonic balancer) and is covered by the timing chain cover. Take a pic of what that area looks like as the most likely area for a leak. While a bad pump would def cause zero pressure it would not necessarily cause a leak. Was the cam ever replaced? If so lots of opportunities to cause oil leaks (pickup tube to pump connection, oil pan gasket, timing chain cover). Did you have an oil change or bottom out the car recently?

Did you drive the car to Sears with no pressure reading?

I had oil pressure when I drove to Sears which was a couple of months ago. I did hit a curb recently but it didn't seem to impact anything or bend anything from what I can see. I need to take it to a shop now to see the real root of the problem. I don't own a left so I can try and get a free estimate on what it will cost. Some places do the labor if the part is provided by me.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #4
camguynj

Was the cam ever replaced?
Old 04-23-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
Camaro_Fuzion

Quote:
Was the cam ever replaced?
Not to my knowledge.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
Nb1081

Drives: 10 2ss/rs
I have same code on my truck because i have the pressure sensor unpluged to keep it out of 4 cyl at moment and it reads 0 psi if you dont get a message to shut engine off you probably still have oil pressure and a bad sensor and as for leaks you probably need a pan gasket and oil cooler delete all that can be done on jack stands no need for a lift but they are nice my car is currently on jackstands getting oil pan and rear main and clutch i deleted oil cooler when i did headers
Old 04-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
camguynj

Don’t think there’s enough room to replace pan gasket with out jacking engine because of crossmember unless you first do the crossmember flange mod https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451298

Looks like there’s some seepage at oil cooler and lines. Maybe start there first before getting involved with pan gasket.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:14 AM   #8
Camaro_Fuzion

Update: It was a bad oil pressure sensor. The mechanic said there was old bursting out of the sensor. A cheap part no doubt. The shop charged me for diagnosing and labor so that wasn't the cheapest. I'm just glad it was not a oil pump because that would of really sucked. The mechanic also cleared out all the codes. Now I don't see any check engine light or issues with the oil pressure. I'd do it myself but I am not setup with all the jack stands and everything else needed to safely do the job right. The car getting up there in age. I do plan to restore it.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:56 AM   #9
camguynj

Glad to hear it was just sensor, but as the sensor is located on the top of the engine block at the rear of the intake manifold ( see below ) seems odd that could cause the oil seen on the bottom of the pan and what looks like seepage on the oil cooler, unless there was a secondary oil pressure sending unit installed on the pan and that’s what was replaced? Please ask the mechanic where the unit he replaced was located and post back.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235113

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1eXtU3LjJgg
Old 04-25-2019, 11:03 PM   #10
Camaro_Fuzion

Quote:
Glad to hear it was just sensor, but as the sensor is located on the top of the engine block at the rear of the intake manifold ( see below ) seems odd that could cause the oil seen on the bottom of the pan and what looks like seepage on the oil cooler, unless there was a secondary oil pressure sending unit installed on the pan and that’s what was replaced? Please ask the mechanic where the unit he replaced was located and post back.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235113

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1eXtU3LjJgg
I talked with the shop and they said that was from the sensor. They don't believe there's an oil pan leak. Or a gasket oil pan seal leak. I will have to degrease the entire area and wash it. I want to run an engine/oil leak test to really determine if the car is leaking oil from that area. What would you recommend I use to test for oil leaks?
Old 04-26-2019, 07:32 AM   #11
camguynj

Get a cheap oil leak kit (oil dye, black light, yellow goggles ). But first I would clean everything off that’s there now and check every few days to see if anything appears now that the sending sensor has been replaced. Post back if you do with the results. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:27 PM   #12
Sleeper_Six

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I have a 2011 2SS and the oil pressure sensor went out, I just had to replace it so that it would pass California Smog. Such a pain in the ass project. I lived with that check engine light for months because I dreaded having to reach back there and maneuver around everything if I didn't want to remove my intake manifold.

The first clue that you have oil pressure is that your engine runs as if it was fine, and there aren't quarts of motor oil spraying out. The slow leak probably had nothing to do with it, but I can understand how seeing that when your gauge read zero would set off warning bells.

Last edited by Sleeper_Six; 07-05-2019 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Added detail
Sleeper_Six is offline   Reply With Quote