Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #43
blackedout010

Drives: on order black 2010 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstackz View Post
Dude,
Like you, I don't have a Gen 5 yet. Again read the post.
Yes, My SRT8 kills MY 2000 SS. That is all I have to compare it to and only put it out there for another reference. Keep in mind its an LS1.
And yes, a 2000 SS is tuned from the factory my friend. My 2000 SS is in no way comparable to my 300 SRT8. Not in class, power or performance. I believe the new SS is only comparable somewhat in price, and performance.
??? what are you talking about??? i never compared to an 2000 ss?? no references here brother iv driven all of them. carry on lol
Old 06-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #44
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Average price that folks are actually paying out the door for a 2009 SRT8: $40,445

http://truecar.com/release/report/20...Info=Brilliant Black Pearl,Dark Slate Gray,42645,1751,2009 Dodge,Challenger,2dr Coupe SRT8,2009_Dodge_Challenger_Brilliant_Black_Pearl.j pg&optionInfo=5323955&trimId=302862&modelId=18481& zipcode=52402

Average price that folks are paying out the door for a 2010 2SS/RS: $36,760, based on 69 purchases tracked, even though over half of the purchases so far have been below sticker ($35,425).

http://truecar.com/release/report/20...?colorInfo=Not Available,Black,35425,1056,2010 Chevrolet,Camaro,2dr Coupe 2SS,2010_Chevrolet_Camaro_Not_Available.jpg&option Info=5978127&trimId=308371&modelId=18875&zipcode=5 2402
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
Old 06-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #45
edbrick

Drives: 2009 GXP -2007 MustangGT--Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfair View Post
but isn't the corvette a 2 seater sports car? and the gt500 is muscle car. how do they compare them?
Price and performance. How many people buy a Mustang for a family car ?It might as well be a two seater my eight year old daughter barley fits back there.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #46
Unfair
Banned

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbrick View Post
Price and performance. How many people buy a Mustang for a family car ?It might as well be a two seater my eight year old daughter barley fits back there.
well yea it's a performance car but it is not a sports car two seater. so they are in two different categories, i would say the corvette should be compared with another 2dr sports car the gt40. so yes maybe you can't fit anyone back there lol but it's not a two seater, aerodynamic, low to the ground, sports car. theirfore no comparison.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #47
DeathChill

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Quote:
What I mean is, alot of these guys are racing cars THEY don't even have yet. Alot different in the real world. I have personally shocked and awed some cars that should kill me according to thier forum blowhards. Not saying the SRT8 cannot be beat, that has happened plenty as well but, I will tell you it is highly underestemated on the street by most. Thats what I love most about it. I also realize that the pig reference was another poster. You actually sound like a guy that is knowledgeable about the topic, that is why I answered your post.
I get what you're saying but racing in the real world is a bit different. Pretty much every race is a drivers race, as it is really unlikely that the two drivers are equally matched. What I am talking about is what the cars do with two equal drivers (which I find the most interesting, as it's not so interesting to compare a great driver to a poor/mediocre driver).
Old 06-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #48
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChill View Post
I get what you're saying but racing in the real world is a bit different. Pretty much every race is a drivers race, as it is really unlikely that the two drivers are equally matched. What I am talking about is what the cars do with two equal drivers (which I find the most interesting, as it's not so interesting to compare a great driver to a poor/mediocre driver).

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 06-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #49
Justcallme61

Drives: 2000 honda accord v6
Quote:
I think those prices have dropped. I have not heard of anyone latley paying $42k for an SRT8 product. Not in the past 6 months anyway. Compare prices they are being sold for please. I ask a dealer in Fremont Ca "how much to order an SS like that one there?" He said, "This one is fully loaded so about 42, plus our lovley dealer mark up." How much is dealer markup? like 5-15K?

Are you kidding? a dealer mark-up on an ordered car? You my friend, need to lay off the crack pipe.
Why on God's green earth would you use the price they're being sold for, as opposed to msrp? If one is selling for 70,000 without a single option, can I use that?

Quote:
Please post your "Out the door price".I'm really curious how much dealer mark up is being added to which models in which areas.

"Destroy?" I think you might be talking a little early since your car has not even been under your ass yet. You must not have been up against much in that area.

BTW My SRT8 walks my SS. SRT* is a Torque monster.
You're comparing a brand new car to a car almost 10 years old. And then you're using that to compare to an engine 2 generations ahead of the first comparison. LS1=/LS3

Quote:
Trust me, they are not getting sticker for them in this economy. Not most places anyway. Go over to the SRT8 forums, check the paper. I saw an add Sunday for a new one for 32K. Yes it was an 08 but, it was loaded and not a demo. Please, someone, anyone, photocopy the bottom line of your new SS, loaded. Bet I dont see one for 32K. Atleast not photoshopped.
The price is so low because obviously they're not selling, and no one is willing to pay that much. Camaros are HIGHLY in demand and BRAND NEW, which is why they're still at or over msrp.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #50
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
I think it is clear that a lot of the Chrysler/Dodge guys are having a hard time coming to terms with the Camaro SS, because it equals or exceeds their flagship SRT8 in performance....for thousands less. I am not knocking the Challenger, hell I love the look of it. But....the facts speak for themselves.

I would happily run a stock SS 2010 Camaro against any Challenger, R/T or SRT8 and I am confident the Camaro will out perform it in any objective performance category.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #51
Justcallme61

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChill View Post
Comparing a more modded car to a slightly modded car is a bit silly, but regardless, the EVIC screen is easily fooled and is not an accurate measurement as you could be on a slight decline without realizing it. Go to the track and get the numbers and I'll be interested.

EDIT: More technology? I was under the impression the current generation Hemi is based off the LS1, which we are past and using the LS3. However, I could be wrong.
Apparently if you strip them down, it's very hard to tell one from the other.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #52
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
What you're missing Fatstackz is that the 2SS comes with alot of the "amenities" you list in your 300M. Heated leather sport buckets, 20 inch wheels, bluetooth, 7 speaker BA sound system (albeit no sub), fogs and Onstar Nav. What it lacks that your 300 has is Double DIN Nav, rear entertainment, factory sub, dual zone climate controls and HID's. All for 34.3k sticker. For 35.5k sticker you get HID's via RS package. What's the sticker on your 300 SRT8?? That's what I thought.

No one here cares about 4 doors or rear entertainment. Period... you're preaching to the chior on that one. Double DIN Nav would be niice, but I happen to like how the Onstar Nav is integrated into the Camaro.

So what are we left with to compare? Performance. Within one tenth in the quarter, depending on which SRT8, and which drivers they used. Im with the above people who say, dont use magazine comparo articales, doesnt matter how fast their professional drivers can go in the quarter... can YOU drive that fast? Performance is very close between these two cars.

So what are left with? Your 300 SRT8 is a performance LUXURY car and so is appropriately appointed and is HEAVIER because of it. That's where the "pig" references come from. The Camaro SS is a "pony" car, and is appropriately appointed for it's class as well. Hence why your 4 door reference and rear seat entertainment falls on deaf ears. They're apples and oranges my friend. That's why the magazines are comparing the Challenger to the Camaro, not your 300 SRT8... Different class of cars, there's no point in beating ourselves comparing them.

That said, it'd be nice to have some Challenger SRT8 folks in here to discuss further.

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
Old 06-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #53
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Kid View Post
I think it is clear that a lot of the Chrysler/Dodge guys are having a hard time coming to terms with the Camaro SS, because it equals or exceeds their flagship SRT8 in performance....for thousands less. I am not knocking the Challenger, hell I love the look of it. But....the facts speak for themselves.

I would happily run a stock SS 2010 Camaro against any Challenger, R/T or SRT8 and I am confident the Camaro will out perform it in any objective performance category.
It seems, by rag' reviews/tests that this is a pretty accurate statement, IMO. The data is there. I'm not even trying to take anything away from the Chally' either, don't get me wrong. But, pretty much every comparison I've read has the SS out front, except in ergonomics, and I find that subjective for the most part. Chally's could be going to so much less right now too in light of all the dealers closing, no?...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 06-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #54
Justcallme61

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
What you're missing Fatstackz is that the 2SS comes with alot of the "amenities" you list in your 300M. Heated leather sport buckets, 20 inch wheels, bluetooth, 7 speaker BA sound system (albeit no sub), fogs and Onstar Nav. What it lacks that your 300 has is Double DIN Nav, rear entertainment, factory sub, dual zone climate controls and HID's. All for 34.3k sticker. For 35.5k sticker you get HID's via RS package. What's the sticker on your 300 SRT8?? That's what I thought.

No one here cares about 4 doors or rear entertainment. Period... you're preaching to the chior on that one. Double DIN Nav would be niice, but I happen to like how the Onstar Nav is integrated into the Camaro.

So what are we left with to compare? Performance. Within one tenth in the quarter, depending on which SRT8, and which drivers they used. Im with the above people who say, dont use magazine comparo articales, doesnt matter how fast their professional drivers can go in the quarter... can YOU drive that fast? Performance is very close between these two cars.

So what are left with? Your 300 SRT8 is a performance LUXURY car and so is appropriately appointed and is HEAVIER because of it. That's where the "pig" references come from. The Camaro SS is a "pony" car, and is appropriately appointed for it's class as well. Hence why your 4 door reference and rear seat entertainment falls on deaf ears. They're apples and oranges my friend. That's why the magazines are comparing the Challenger to the Camaro, not your 300 SRT8... Different class of cars, there's no point in beating ourselves comparing them.

That said, it'd be nice to have some Challenger SRT8 folks in here to discuss further.
Actually, it's 9 speaker, and I'm almost positive there's a sub.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #55
Davis

Drives: '10 Black 2SS/RS M6
I traded in my SRT4 for my new SS. Why is this relevant to the thread?
Well with every new purchase of any SRT you get a free trip to the "SRT Track Experience". Mine was at Mid-Ohio Race Track. I got to drive all of the current SRT cars on the track. The SRT4 had been discontinued and was not there and the Challenger was not out yet. But I did drive the SRT6 Crossfire, SRT8 Magnum, SRT8 300, SRT8 Charger, SRT10 Ram Truck and the Viper.

Long story short I was not impressed with any of the SRT8 cars. They were IMO "pigs", lots of body roll and underpowered. I did like the Crossfire on the road course. Not a ton of power but very nimble and fun to drive. The V10 truck..meh boring. The Viper...lol what to you think, that thing was AWESOME!
Delivered 4/17/2009
Old 06-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #56
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
It seems, by rag' reviews/tests that this is a pretty accurate statement, IMO. The data is there. I'm not even trying to take anything away from the Chally' either, don't get me wrong. But, pretty much every comparison I've read has the SS out front, except in ergonomics, and I find that subjective for the most part. Chally's could be going to so much less right now too in light of all the dealers closing, no?...
I agree, based on Chrysler/Fiat merger, many dealers closing and down turn of the economy, the Chally prices are dropping, but alot of dealers arent budging in the SRT8 because it's the high performance model.

But same goes for the 'Vette, they're having a hard time selling those too, base vettes are going for invoice, Z06's for MSRP or a bit under too... it's a good time to be in the market for a good ole 'murican v8 sports car!

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount

Closed Thread