Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Rob53

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS VR Camaro convertible
Drove a Challenger RT and a SRT8 today

I have already order my 2SS/RS ABM Camaro, but needed to drive something new and fast! I don't even remember the last time I drove a manual transmission, and have to admit, I stalled it several times Both the RT and the SRT8 were a trip to drive. The ride was smooth and powerful. Every car review that I have read, says that the Camaro's ride is the best among Mustang, and Challenger. This is excellent news because, like I said, driving the Challenger was a delight. If my SS Camaro is going to exceed the performance of the RT and SRT8, I can only say WOW!

The drive also settled the auto or manual transmission question for me. I have to have a manual now. It is so much more fun shifting than just driving. I smiled all the way through the drive, except for the times I stalled in 1st! Dodge has what they call "Auto stick" which I got to experience in the auto transmission. It was pretty cool, but having already driven the 6 speed manual, I knew what I wanted already. So, just wanted to share this with everyone, and although the Challenger is an awesome car, I'm waiting for my new Camaro. I was second on the allocation list of 11, so I'm thinking May-June for my baby to come.
Rob53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
I had that urgo to....but I went and drove a Z06 instead...maybe a lil overkill??
Gary B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
wait till that challenger gets all wooden and pudgy in corners
Old 01-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
Rob53

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS VR Camaro convertible
My wife drives a C5 Corvette, its an automatic. I drive it once in a awhile, but really wanted to experience something new. I'm so glad I got to drive a manual, it really is a blast going through the gears, downshifting and all. It makes the driving experience more pleasureable, and interactive. The sales guy told me the clutch in the Challenger was hydraulic, is the Camaro equiped with a hydrolic clutch as well? I'm not really into all the details and specs, not even sure what it all means, I just know that I can't wait to drive my 2SS Camaro!!
Rob53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
wait till that challenger gets all wooden and pudgy in corners
some people dont care about that........like me it's a muscle car after all.
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
I had that urgo to....but I went and drove a Z06 instead...maybe a lil overkill??
LOL, no dealer would let me test drive a corvette...:(
Old 01-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
Really? Even I've test driven a Corvette and I'm not even 18
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
Got to "know" your dealer. They have a ZR1 up there I considered maybe taking a spin in...damn snow all over is killing me!!
Gary B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
WOW, they must have lesser standards in California. Unless I show proof that i am dead serious about buying a corvette, or I get to the age of 25. I am not gonna drive one anytime soon. Dealers out here do not take this lightly.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #10
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
Same here! I've tried at a few dealers jsut to see what they are like (newer ones as I have drove a couple in the early 90s).

Not even a chance unless I was ready to buy they said! One actually ask if I had loan papers from a bank or credit union!

Haven't tried a Dodge dealer...hrmmmm...maybe a trip to Dodge this weekend to see?
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #11
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Cool

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #12
OldTimer

Drives: 2012 Victory Red ZL1 MG9
Ha, many of us are getting the itch. I drove the new 370Z last Friday. It was fun and a great little car, but, all I could think of was how I couldn't wait for my camaro SS to come in.
OldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #13
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob53 View Post
The sales guy told me the clutch in the Challenger was hydraulic, is the Camaro equiped with a hydrolic clutch as well? I'm not really into all the details and specs, not even sure what it all means, I just know that I can't wait to drive my 2SS Camaro!!
Yes it will have a hydraulic clutch. I'm pretty sure for well over a decade most manual cars have had a hydraulic clutch. If you have been driving autos for a while it's ok if you dont know. The Camaro's clutch is said to have a very light feel to it compared to most other cars but it all depends on what you are used to.
I need to drive a high hp car before I get my Camaro to get me even more excited even though I won't be getting one for a while.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #14
manchimp

Drives: 2010 CGM 2ss
I went and drove the SRT8 as well. I wandered by the dodge dealer just to check them out and they almost begged me to drive it. They even offered me a discount off of sticker before I had even thought about driving it! Before driving I even told them that I was not going to buy because I would regret it when the Camaro came out, but he still wanted me to drive it. After I got out after the drive, the salesman said "Do you want to make an offer on it?". I thought these were hot cars, but it seems even they are slow in this market. It sure was fun to drive though. First stick/muscle car I had driven since I sold my 2001 Z-28 back in '02. I can't wait for my Camaro!
manchimp is offline   Reply With Quote