Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
dnr427

Drives: shopping-undecided
AFTERMARKET WHEELS AND TPMS

Has anyone found a way to defeat/circumvent/disconnect the factory TPMS? If I get a Camaro (most likely an LS) for my next daily driver, I will keep the factory wheels and tires for winter use, but will want to get aftermarket wheels and tires for spring-fall. Most of the wheels I am considering are said to not be compatible with the factory TPMS. As I am apparently one of those rare individuals who actually checks his own tire pressure every time I change my oil, I don't need or want this stupid "nanny-state" imposed feature anyway. My understanding is that without the valve stem pressure monitors in the wheels, all kinds of bellls, whistles, and alarms will go off. I wouldn't mind buying another set of valve stem sensors if they weren't overly expensive, but they supposedly won't fit aftermarket wheels (at least per Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct websites). So the best or only option seems to be to somehow find a way to shut down or disable the system. Suggestions?
dnr427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
mojosc
Mojosc

Drives: Maserati Gran Turismo
Todays car are chaulk full of computer technology. The TPMS is just one feature. Trying to disable it may also disable your warranty. Buy aftermarket wheels that are TPMS freindly which usually means buying another set of valve stems with the monitor and the stem as one piece. Most NEW aftermarket wheels have a second valve hole that will allow you to mount the factory sensor so when you use the summer wheels the sensor will still be in place.
mojosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
dayvedayve

Drives: 2006 Chevy Avalanche
I had a friend with a truck that took the tpms valves out and put them in a container that he welded at work. He the presurrized the container (had a valve stem hole in the container) and put it behind his seat. The tpms system still recognized them and when the pressure would get to low he would just air it up again.
dayvedayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
mojosc
Mojosc

Drives: Maserati Gran Turismo
Interesting,
The sensor emits a signal to a reciever in the dash. Once the pressure drops below a certain amount the sensor stops emitting the signal. The receiver not getting the signal sends a message to the computer, check tire pressure. As long as the sensor emits the signal with in a certain distance, the computer will pick it up and keep the dash light from coming on.
mojosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
cheaplabor
It the toybox 4 winter

Drives: LSA 68f100 pickup/2010 rs/2ss abm
i have 2 sets of wheels for my 2009 duramax, 1 set(aftermarket, conains the sensors from my factory wheels for the summer. in the winter i install the factory wheels with snow tires with no sensors and all that happens is that the low tire light is on steady. no bells. my wifes tahoe has 2 sets also but both have sensors(incase she does get a flat) and when we switch from the summer to snow tires a very simple routine of turning the headlights on and off 3 times and then letting air out of the tires in a specific sequence cancells out the old sensors and makes the truck see the new ones. Not a big deal.
cheaplabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
mondain

Drives: toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayvedayve View Post
I had a friend with a truck that took the tpms valves out and put them in a container that he welded at work. He the presurrized the container (had a valve stem hole in the container) and put it behind his seat. The tpms system still recognized them and when the pressure would get to low he would just air it up again.
btw tell your friend that is 7 kinds of awesome right there.
mondain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:35 PM   #7
redjewel

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnr427 View Post
Has anyone found a way to defeat/circumvent/disconnect the factory TPMS? If I get a Camaro (most likely an LS) for my next daily driver, I will keep the factory wheels and tires for winter use, but will want to get aftermarket wheels and tires for spring-fall. Most of the wheels I am considering are said to not be compatible with the factory TPMS. As I am apparently one of those rare individuals who actually checks his own tire pressure every time I change my oil, I don't need or want this stupid "nanny-state" imposed feature anyway. My understanding is that without the valve stem pressure monitors in the wheels, all kinds of bellls, whistles, and alarms will go off. I wouldn't mind buying another set of valve stem sensors if they weren't overly expensive, but they supposedly won't fit aftermarket wheels (at least per Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct websites). So the best or only option seems to be to somehow find a way to shut down or disable the system. Suggestions?
Couple hundred bucks for new sensors.
Where does Tire Rack or DTD show they won't fit aftermarket? Most aftermarket wheels are TPMS friendly and all you need is sensors and the correct TPMS valve.