#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-24-2018, 03:24 PM   #43
dmwtech

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella16 View Post
question.....I've wanted to use the line lock, but haven't wanted to ruin a set of tires. Now that I'm getting new tires, I'm debating on trying it out.
Would yall risk it with this situation? I will still need to drive across town to the tire shop after...
I'd take it to a tire shop, have them plug it and then go destroy them. Just tell them that you just want to burn them down before getting the new tires installed. I would not do it with that in the tire though.
dmwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:12 PM   #44
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Just as an FYI, there are a 2 separate PSS4S reviews on the tire rack site that indicate the outer tread separated from the tire during a lapping event.
I certainly can't speak to the validity of these reports. Just sayin' they're out there, FWIW.

Best regards,

Elie
Old 01-24-2018, 08:17 PM   #45
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwtech View Post
I'd take it to a tire shop, have them plug it and then go destroy them. Just tell them that you just want to burn them down before getting the new tires installed. I would not do it with that in the tire though.
That’s what I’d do as well.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #46
charles7970

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
question.....I've wanted to use the line lock, but haven't wanted to ruin a set of tires. Now that I'm getting new tires, I'm debating on trying it out.
Would yall risk it with this situation? I will still need to drive across town to the tire shop after...
Literally the same thing happened to me twice lol some odd reason is they didn't want to charge me either but i left a tip, one shop wanted to charge me for a new tire instead of patching it.. left, went to another and they earned my business when I decide to buy 4 new tires.
Attached Images

charles7970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #47
Sooner Cole

Drives: 2019 ZL1-1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
Just as an FYI, there are a 2 separate PSS4S reviews on the tire rack site that indicate the outer tread separated from the tire during a lapping event.
I certainly can't speak to the validity of these reports. Just sayin' they're out there, FWIW.

Best regards,

Elie
I saw those. It appears this tire builds tire pressure must faster than the OEM GY. The guys that have adjusted for this have been very pleased with the results. This tire has the highest review rankings on Tire rack.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:03 PM   #48
garfin
Resident Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17ZL1Camaro View Post
I saw those. It appears this tire builds tire pressure must faster than the OEM GY. The guys that have adjusted for this have been very pleased with the results. This tire has the highest review rankings on Tire rack.
Thanks and good to know. I'm guessing the adjustment is to run lower tire pressures on the track than, say, the PSS? I've tracked the V on the original PS2s and the current PSS tires that are past their "best before" date and will be replaced in the spring. Never had any issue with either tire on the track and would be very surprised if there was an issue with the PSS4S. I'll do a bit more research...

Best regards,

Elie
Old 01-26-2018, 06:37 PM   #49
Sooner Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
Thanks and good to know. I'm guessing the adjustment is to run lower tire pressures on the track than, say, the PSS? I've tracked the V on the original PS2s and the current PSS tires that are past their "best before" date and will be replaced in the spring. Never had any issue with either tire on the track and would be very surprised if there was an issue with the PSS4S. I'll do a bit more research...

Best regards,

Elie
I haven't tracked my PS4S yet. I have one scheduled in March. What I can say is for daily street driving, this tire is MUCH smoother and quieter than the OEM GY. It also doesn't seem to need heating up to grip well like the GY. So far I'm very pleased.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:24 AM   #50
Idaho ZL1

Drives: 1967 RS/SS 427, 2018 HPB ZL1 1LE
1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SociallyAwk View Post
Went from stock, to Conti ExtremeConstact Sport, back to stock, and currently on MPSS4S. I daily my 1LE here in South FL. I'll never return to stock. I may return to Conti's if I want the cheaper tyre with matched performance and slightly louder road noise- but I'll stay with these MPSS4S until the next generation is out. I thought Michelin was all overpriced hype, like a luxury performance car.. I was wrong. Worth it.
Did the 4s improve the ride? My 1LE is in the garage, I haven't driven it yet. To cold outside here. I am thinking of ordering a set of 4s' at the next discount tire sale and using them for the street at lower pressure. What pressure are you running in yours?
Old 01-29-2018, 01:20 PM   #51
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
I got that same nail my tire. I guess I should not have thrown it back out on the road....

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:06 PM   #52
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17ZL1Camaro View Post
I haven't tracked my PS4S yet. I have one scheduled in March. What I can say is for daily street driving, this tire is MUCH smoother and quieter than the OEM GY. It also doesn't seem to need heating up to grip well like the GY. So far I'm very pleased.
My assessment of the PS4S is exactly the same as yours.

I had my car out yesterday. It had been more than five weeks since I last drove the car. Temps were in the upper 40's. The grip from these tires in cold temps is impressive. I even turned off traction control to see if I could get them to slip, but I couldn't. They're a much better street tire than the OEM GYs. How well the perform on the track is still up for debate. But as a street tire they're excellent.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:18 PM   #53
Sooner Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
My assessment of the PS4S is exactly the same as yours.

I had my car out yesterday. It had been more than five weeks since I last drove the car. Temps were in the upper 40's. The grip from these tires in cold temps is impressive. I even turned off traction control to see if I could get them to slip, but I couldn't. They're a much better street tire than the OEM GYs. How well the perform on the track is still up for debate. But as a street tire they're excellent.
I agree completely. One more thing, they do not trammel or road walk like the OEM GY's do.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:52 PM   #54
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
The Michelin's have a treadwear rating of 300 versus the Goodyears are 100, so makes sense they are a little better in the cold. They should wear better and last longer, but would be interested in back to back comparisons at a track with the same driver
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:36 AM   #55
garfin
Resident Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
The Michelin's have a treadwear rating of 300 versus the Goodyears are 100, so makes sense they are a little better in the cold. They should wear better and last longer, but would be interested in back to back comparisons at a track with the same driver
Keep in mind that tire tread wear ratings are valid for comparison only among tires made by the same manufacturer, since each manufacturer assigns the ratings to their own tires. Comparing tread wear ratings on a GY tire vs a Michelin tire could lead to an inaccurate conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire Direct
While the UTQG was established by the NHTSA, it is the manufacturers who test and score their tires, and as such, the grades are relative to each manufacturer. For the most accurate use of this system, one should compare tires, and their scores, only to tires made by the same manufacturer.
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/learn/utqg

Best regards,

Elie
Old 01-30-2018, 08:19 AM   #56
Sooner Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
The treadwear on the Goodear is 220