Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-05-2019, 12:49 AM   #1
Chevyrookie

Drives: 2017 2SS 6mt
7 things I don't like about my Camaro

Hello I have officially crossed the 10k mile marker driving this car and would like to share some of the quirks i have with this car mainly to geto get it off my chest and see if others are feeling the same way.

1. The car seems to stiff for daily usage.
Now I don't live in the harshest of roads but when i drive around town I tend to drive 5-10 mph under because i find the ride a bit too stiff over the bumps in this car. I typically use sport mode and i am acutely aware that touring has a softer ride but it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference.

2. Throttle lag
Some of you may have notices, but when you step on the peddle softly the car doesn't seem to move, but when i start to put the peddle down there is a noticable amount of power being sent to the rear wheels and as someone who daily drives this car, i wish it was a but bit more gradual. I did not notice this at first but after watching youtube videos about the camaro it became noticable and a little bothersome.

3. The horrible visibility
God forbid I don't use the back up camera and i run the risk of hitting something (or someone) because the rear windshield visibility is only a slither of glass that sits high above the rear end of the car. Also the lack of blind spots mainly from the c pillar of the car doesn't help anyone either because you cannot really gauge the vehicles proximity unless using the side mirrors. This makes it troublesome for someone who daily's his camaro and when the camera is a bit dirty, reversing becomes a chore.

4. Unusable rear seats
Why did GM even bother with making this car a 2+2 if the only thing i can comfortably seat in the back is a flower pot? I have sat in the back of other sports coupes that all shared the same leg room problems, but never the issues of headspace. Couple those two issues and you go from seating a paraplegic, to nothing but unopened mail because seating is not an option for more than 1 passenger.

5. The trunk is for looks
Now it was in the middle of the summer I had tried to put a small cooler into the trunk of the vehicle but to no avail. The trunk itself is pretty deep but fitting things like suitcases, coolers, and computers are not meant to be stowed away in the camaros trunk. The width will force you to use the rear benches or the passenger seat.

6. Lack of forward collision sensors
For a vehicle with a long bonnet you would think that there may be a censor or two. The censor would not need to below the bowtie, but maybe under the front lip or on the corners of the front bumper would help people who are getting used to the vehicle and parallel parking it it. Not to mention that this vehicle is low and i had a scare one time when my vehicle lurched after stalling it. This car is low and parking by curbs can be an issue if you are not used to the vehicles dimensions.

7. Passenger side view mirror doesn't auto dim.
I like the fact that the car has a dimming rearview mirror and driver side mirror, but the lack of the dim feature for the passenger side triggers my slight ocd. The glare from that mirror still hits you when your driving at night and someone is tailgating you even though the other two are doing their jobs. I find it odd that the mirror isn't equipped as its driver side counterpart.

With the above being said, I do not hate this vehicle, but after spending some time with it, i have identified some quirks. If you feel some of the issues bother you as well and you have found ways to get by them, please share!
Chevyrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:35 AM   #2
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
I personally could not be more satisfied with my car. I absolute love the stiffness and useless rear seats. Visibility is not an issue with good posture and I can fit a suitcase in my trunk

You should have noticed all this before buying the car

Its like complaining about gas after you buy a truck

Mods:
XPEL - Hood, Bumper, Headlights, & Side Mirrors
JWM - Side Markers
ZL1 Addons - Deluxe Rock Guards & Red Lift Pads
GM - Dark Tail Lamps
MRR - Gloss Black M017s
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:21 AM   #3
Neil350

Drives: Nike Air Max
To address the harsh ride complaint, for years I was a self admitted magnetic ride hater. I always installed after market shocks, F-bodies got Konis & my last Corvette I ran DRM valved Bilsteins. I thought magnetic ride was an expensive option waiting to break and complicated after market options I typically went to. Now after experiencing it in the 1LE its awesome, I can set the car to tour mode and its great, rides very smooth for what it is.

The trunk, its ok so long as what ever you have isn't bulky. For normal sack material, groceries, trips to Lowes or errands its fine.
12 F150 5.0 Lariat Super Crew - Stock daily
Neil350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:28 AM   #4
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
Funny that the majority of those things are what I like...
If I had better viz, it would look like a mustang, and I merely needed to adjust to the sight lines.
I’m laughing because I normally drive like miss daisy is in the back, but with this car there is NO throttle lag, and I have to reach down and pull the pedal up, cause I’m doing 50 before I’m thru an intersection.
My side view mirror on the 2SS provides blindspot warning. Weird that you complain about not seeing well, but you want your sight tools dimmed....
I think if I thought I had a solid shot at a threesome, I might drive my Yukon. It has a big backseat that folds down even....lol
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:06 AM   #5
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
Get non run flats and the ride will be much smoother.
2. Throttle lag
Ok maybe a small one but hey just stomp on it.
Other sports cars are also not better. Doesn’t bother me much.
4. Unusable rear seats
It’s a sports car. I sit in front for the rest I don’t care.
It’s a sports car. For the small grosery is enough.
6. Lack of forward collision sensor
That’s true. Should have one.
7. Passaenger side view mirror auto dim
That would be great.
I don’t know if I would by a Camaro for a daily.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:54 AM   #6
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBody View Post
I personally could not be more satisfied with my car. I absolute love the stiffness and useless rear seats. Visibility is not an issue with good posture and I can fit a suitcase in my trunk

You should have noticed all this before buying the car

Its like complaining about gas after you buy a truck

Yep.
I know some people do, but I wouldn't use a Camaro as a daily driver. We have other vehicles for that. For us, the Camaro is a pleasure car. And man, are we pleased.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:14 AM   #7
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
I honestly dont get why so many people complain about the visibility? Adjust your mirrors (and seats) properly. I have never had any visibility issues in my 2012 or 2018. I think there are more blind spots in my daily driver pickup truck.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:14 AM   #8
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
So, here is my take:

Numbers 1,3,4 & 5: These just come with the essence of this generation of Camaro. If you engineer out those items you no longer have a great handling muscle/sports car that looks better (in my eyes better than a Mustang, Challenger or really any other performance vehicle in its price class) and performs better than its competition. Maybe you would be happier in one of the V8 Chargers.

Number 2: The throttle sometimes feels like a dead pedal in slow acceleration situations. However since I have a M6 this is no big deal. I just use the throttle with the clutch and gear selection to get the result I want. All my other automatic cars I've owned with electronic throttles over the last 10 years have had a throttle dead spot somewhere in its operation. Seems to be the nature of the beast.

Number 6 & 7: Fair points - these would be nice to have features.

Bottom line: I have owned my 2016 SS for 20 K miles and almost 3 years and I still get a tingle of excitement every time I take it out of the garage.

Each to their own.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)

Last edited by SSDan; 01-05-2019 at 07:28 AM.
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:23 AM   #9
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
You buy a sports car then you complain it's not more like a Camry or Accord. Sell it and buy a sedan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:52 AM   #10
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrookie View Post
Hello I have officially crossed the 10k mile marker driving this car and would like to share some of the quirks i have with this car mainly to geto get it off my chest and see if others are feeling the same way.

Now I don't live in the harshest of roads but when i drive around town I tend to drive 5-10 mph under because i find the ride a bit too stiff over the bumps in this car. I typically use sport mode and i am acutely aware that touring has a softer ride but it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference.

2. Throttle lag
Some of you may have notices, but when you step on the peddle softly the car doesn't seem to move, but when i start to put the peddle down there is a noticable amount of power being sent to the rear wheels and as someone who daily drives this car, i wish it was a but bit more gradual. I did not notice this at first but after watching youtube videos about the camaro it became noticable and a little bothersome.

God forbid I don't use the back up camera and i run the risk of hitting something (or someone) because the rear windshield visibility is only a slither of glass that sits high above the rear end of the car. Also the lack of blind spots mainly from the c pillar of the car doesn't help anyone either because you cannot really gauge the vehicles proximity unless using the side mirrors. This makes it troublesome for someone who daily's his camaro and when the camera is a bit dirty, reversing becomes a chore.

4. Unusable rear seats
Why did GM even bother with making this car a 2+2 if the only thing i can comfortably seat in the back is a flower pot? I have sat in the back of other sports coupes that all shared the same leg room problems, but never the issues of headspace. Couple those two issues and you go from seating a paraplegic, to nothing but unopened mail because seating is not an option for more than 1 passenger.

Now it was in the middle of the summer I had tried to put a small cooler into the trunk of the vehicle but to no avail. The trunk itself is pretty deep but fitting things like suitcases, coolers, and computers are not meant to be stowed away in the camaros trunk. The width will force you to use the rear benches or the passenger seat.

6. Lack of forward collision sensors
For a vehicle with a long bonnet you would think that there may be a censor or two. The censor would not need to below the bowtie, but maybe under the front lip or on the corners of the front bumper would help people who are getting used to the vehicle and parallel parking it it. Not to mention that this vehicle is low and i had a scare one time when my vehicle lurched after stalling it. This car is low and parking by curbs can be an issue if you are not used to the vehicles dimensions.

7. Passenger side view mirror doesn't auto dim.
I like the fact that the car has a dimming rearview mirror and driver side mirror, but the lack of the dim feature for the passenger side triggers my slight ocd. The glare from that mirror still hits you when your driving at night and someone is tailgating you even though the other two are doing their jobs. I find it odd that the mirror isn't equipped as its driver side counterpart.

With the above being said, I do not hate this vehicle, but after spending some time with it, i have identified some quirks. If you feel some of the issues bother you as well and you have found ways to get by them, please share!
Most of the people I know that would complain about these types of issue with a Camaro own a Minivans. I would look at Honda they have one that would fit your needs.

Your comments sound just like a guy complaining about owning a new Corvette but can't fit all his kid's friends in the car for soccer practice

Last edited by Memphis SS; 01-06-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #11
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrookie View Post
Also the lack of blind spots mainly from the c pillar of the car doesn't help anyone either because you cannot really gauge the vehicles proximity unless using the side mirrors. This makes it troublesome for someone who daily's his camaro...
This is a little scary. There are no blind spots with correctly adjusted mirrors. If you've never learned how to adjust your side mirrors properly to eliminate blindspots, you are either swiveling your head around to look behind you, or you are changing lanes blindly. I don't know which is worse. Maybe you shouldn't be driving a high performance car?
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:15 AM   #12
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmax View Post
I think if I thought I had a solid shot at a threesome, I might drive my Yukon. It has a big backseat that folds down even....lol
Best comment so far!
Old 01-05-2019, 08:23 AM   #13
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Get where you're coming from; however, the ride in my Firehawk with 1LE suspension was worse though it too was not a DD. Did have BMR tubular sub frames and Konis set on full soft bounce and bump. It literally kicked my ass. I'm the front collision monitor. Driven rentals with that and it's too much nanny for me. Concur with Ryan about positioning and visibility. Maybe because we're both from Indiana though find myself agreeing with his opinions frequently.

Remember that condoms prevent mini vans too.

Nature of the beast is whats described I think. The only thing that irritates me is cleaning the inside front and rear glass. I mean, really?

This throttle thing people mention is something I've never noticed.

Difference in modes for ride to me isn't very noticeable. I like steering feel in sport mode best.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:23 AM   #14
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
You buy a sports car then you complain it's not more like a Camry or Accord. Sell it and buy a sedan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote