Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2020, 08:00 PM   #1
Bigtime53

 
Bigtime53's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,904
Rear control arms?

Ok I am having a serious problem. I was driving about 70 miles per hour and I matted the gas and my car and it felt like it moved a foot over one way. I have noticed it moving around some but it has got worse. It kinda spooked me when it moved so far. Is it the rear control arm bushings getting soft? I had a similar problem on a Grand National years ago and I changed those out and it fixed it. Has anyone else had this problem? So if this is what it is which control arms are the best ones? Or is this my problem?
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1
 
RobZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: ATL
Posts: 643
Check your tire pressures first. I have had that happen when one tire was several pounds lower than the other one and I didn't know it. Got them equal and the problem went away. Sounds like your problem might be a bigger deal than that, but it's worth a quick check just in case.
__________________
2014 Red Hot #1503 | TBD SAE | RotoFab | 28% OD | GP Tuning 2.5 Cam | 2" TSP LT's | JMS BAP | ID850 | TR7IX | MSD Wires | APEX Catch Can | Metco Breather | Monster LT1-S Triple | C&R HEX | RotoFab Res | Racing Brake Rotors | Self-Tuned w/ HPT
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:26 PM   #3
DrkPhx

 
DrkPhx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 2,229
The rear end kick out is common on these cars and worse when you add more power. The best way to get rid of it is to replace the rear cradle bushings with solid ones. Probably the best suspension mod you can do for these care without increasing NVH too much. I also added a larger, adjustable rear sway bar, Pegasus trailing arms and Z/28 upper control arm bushings. Pulls straight with no issues.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
rmcbee
 
rmcbee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
The rear end kick out is common on these cars and worse when you add more power. The best way to get rid of it is to replace the rear cradle bushings with solid ones. Probably the best suspension mod you can do for these care without increasing NVH too much. I also added a larger, adjustable rear sway bar, Pegasus trailing arms and Z/28 upper control arm bushings. Pulls straight with no issues.
What is NVH?
rmcbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
gtstorey
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcbee View Post
What is NVH?
Noise, Vibration & Harshness
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #6
ZMEnow

 
Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Noise, Vibration & Harshness

All symptoms of polyurethane bushings Plus, potential squeaking and greasing every 4-5 years depending on use.


ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:42 PM   #7
Azzkker
 
Azzkker's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, 99 z28, 89 iroc-z
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 244
Delrin is where it's at when control arm bushings are concerned. Also the solid crossmember mounts only added a slight increase in road noise on mine.
Azzkker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:09 PM   #8
Bigtime53

 
Bigtime53's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,904
Ok thank you guys. I had a long day and just got here to read these responses. I have checked the tire pressure and that is not it. It really moves to much and is really kinda spooky. I have seen the cradle bushings but I have been told they do make a noise but I would like to stay away from that if possible. I thought I have seen some solid rear control arms and adjustable ones with polyurethane bushings in them and this would solve my problem,right? Are the factory bushings rubber? Is the rear cradle on the ZL1 different than a SS? I know the housings are but the cradle is the same? Any more help on this I would appreciate it. Thanks
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:24 PM   #9
olblue75


 
olblue75's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Clarksville Tennesse.
Posts: 5,008
So the cradles are basically the same the difference is around the diff there’s more clearance. I have the PAFDT/AFE solid bushings and I did not feel/hear any noise or vibes outside normal from before. When you’ll really hear or feel it is when you do bushings in the diff, trans, or engine mounts.
__________________
Orange Krush II
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Suede Steering wheel, short throw shifter. Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, C7 GS Calipers, PAFDT Solid Cradle bushing, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:45 PM   #10
Vicster
 
Vicster's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 231
Wink Other Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
Ok thank you guys. I had a long day and just got here to read these responses. I have checked the tire pressure and that is not it. It really moves to much and is really kinda spooky. I have seen the cradle bushings but I have been told they do make a noise but I would like to stay away from that if possible. I thought I have seen some solid rear control arms and adjustable ones with polyurethane bushings in them and this would solve my problem,right? Are the factory bushings rubber? Is the rear cradle on the ZL1 different than a SS? I know the housings are but the cradle is the same? Any more help on this I would appreciate it. Thanks
I have done some upgrades on my ZL1 suspension. Here is my build take a look under the suspension upgrade section. The car handles like it is on rails, approx. 90% of the wheel hop has been eliminated. I still have the stock cradle bushings in place.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...8#post10737318
Attached Images
   

Last edited by Vicster; 03-30-2020 at 08:45 PM.
Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:24 PM   #11
Bigtime53

 
Bigtime53's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,904
I changed the lower control arms and the toe arms with the BMR ones. Now that has solved the problem. I talked to Steve there and he helped me with what I needed and said it would fix my problem and it did. If you guys need these parts give him a call. Great service and fast delivery of the parts to.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:02 PM   #12
Vicster
 
Vicster's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
I changed the lower control arms and the toe arms with the BMR ones. Now that has solved the problem. I talked to Steve there and he helped me with what I needed and said it would fix my problem and it did. If you guys need these parts give him a call. Great service and fast delivery of the parts to.
Glad you got it worked out. Do not forget to get a 4 wheel alignment done.
Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.