Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 07-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #15
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon 6.2L SS View Post
Thanks for the responses everybody. I will mention the rocker/springs possibility when I take it in to get it Dyno Tuned. I'm thinking it might be the remote custom tune as well. No disrespect to the tuner whatsoever.

I started off with a little over 109mph and now I'm down to a little over 106mph
That's not awful. These cars can be pretty heat sensitive - I don't know what you're staging lanes practices are, but I would not be the least bit surprised to see a car lose 3mph with a few thousand feet more of DA in the middle of the summer, combined with some heat soak of sitting idling in the lanes in higher ambient temps. Stock tune starts pulling timing at 212*F ECT and/or at 131*F IAT - both of those are pretty easy to hit idling in 80*F of ambient air, especially if you have a stock thermostat and fan tuning. I run a fan switch, cooler thermostat, and am a nazi for open hood engine off at the track unless the car is making a pass, or within 90 seconds of making a pass. My coolant temps are never over 190*F, and my IATs are kept under 100*F - so the car is nice and consistent.

What do you data log and tune with? Anything you can share with this group? If you had a broken rocker you'd have a dead hole and you'd hear it, feel it, and have a check engine light. Usually if you have a broken spring you'd have some friendly valve meet piston action going on, and you'd definitely know it. There are odd instances where a spring can break but not fail completely, and just hurt the top end - but that's pretty rare.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #16
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
A tale of a broken rocker arm...

Heres a tale for you, Andrew. When I brought my car to GPI last week, I had been experiencing a misfire. I thought it was a spark plug, which, when I swapped them out, that was true. That spark plug was toast and drenched in unburnt fuel. I drove it 6 hours to GPI. When they got the valvecover off to start the trunnion upgrade, they found an oem rocker arm had broken right off on the valve side! The rocker, at that point, looked more like a set of fangs that were literally chewing up the valve retainer.

Here's the rocker.

Name:  IMG_06081.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  121.7 KB

Heres the retainer.

Name:  20190628_142324.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  105.2 KB

This is a titanium valve retainer. It miraculously held onto the valve under heavy pummeling from the evil, broken rocker. If it failed and its valve were to drop, we knew that catastrophic failure could have ensued. Imagine a valve falling into a cylinder and meeting up with a piston which then punches it straight back up into the combustion chamber..

My shop said that I was unbelievably lucky that the valve didn't drop, and that the odds of this situation happening are slim to none. They said if it hadn't been a titanium retainer it undoubtedly would have failed. To be fair, I have a pretty loud car, making it a bit more difficult to hear abnormalities, but I didn't hear it. I definitely had a lot of power loss though, since I was running on 7 cylinders.
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:42 AM   #17
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris49066SS View Post
Heres a tale for you, Andrew. When I brought my car to GPI last week, I had been experiencing a misfire. I thought it was a spark plug, which, when I swapped them out, that was true. That spark plug was toast and drenched in unburnt fuel. I drove it 6 hours to GPI. When they got the valvecover off to start the trunnion upgrade, they found an oem rocker arm had broken right off on the valve side! The rocker, at that point, looked more like a set of fangs that were literally chewing up the valve retainer.

Here's the rocker.

Attachment 993726

Heres the retainer.

Attachment 993727

This is a titanium valve retainer. It miraculously held onto the valve under heavy pummeling from the evil, broken rocker. If it failed and its valve were to drop, we knew that catastrophic failure could have ensued. Imagine a valve falling into a cylinder and meeting up with a piston which then punches it straight back up into the combustion chamber..

My shop said that I was unbelievably lucky that the valve didn't drop, and that the odds of this situation happening are slim to none. They said if it hadn't been a titanium retainer it undoubtedly would have failed. To be fair, I have a pretty loud car, making it a bit more difficult to hear abnormalities, but I didn't hear it. I definitely had a lot of power loss though, since I was running on 7 cylinders.
Wow - that's EXTREMELY lucky. That's incredible it held together and didn't cost you a motor. Every time I see something like this posted I wanna go rip the valve covers off and just have a look at things to be sure! I'm really glad you didn't get burned by this - go buy a lotto ticket (and share with your friends )
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:03 PM   #18
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Wow - that's EXTREMELY lucky. That's incredible it held together and didn't cost you a motor. Every time I see something like this posted I wanna go rip the valve covers off and just have a look at things to be sure! I'm really glad you didn't get burned by this - go buy a lotto ticket (and share with your friends )
Haha yeah that woulda been a disaster. At least it didnt take the needle bearings out along with it, too. It could have been ridiculous.
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:17 PM   #19
Maroon 6.2L SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS A6
I'm taking the car into a performance shop tomorrow to get the engine thoroughly tested. I will post on here what the results were, if any. Thanks everyone for all the replies.
Maroon 6.2L SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #20
Maroon 6.2L SS

Hey all. I just got the results back from getting my motor tested at the local performance shop. Everything tested out within spec. I was relieved but also surprised and confused. The only thing left that I think would be causing my issues is the emailed custom tune, no disrespect whatsoever to the tuner, it's just my last thought. I will be getting a dyno tune over the next two days. I will let you know what happens when I take it to the strip next (hopefully this Sunday)
Old 07-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #21
Maroon 6.2L SS

Hey all, well it looks like my problem has been fixed. After 2 months of replacing stuff/updating stuff etc...getting a dyno tune fixed my issue with the car getting slower. I went from 13.39ET in my last outing 3 weeks ago to 12.99ET in this outing. Same track, roughly same DA and everything else being pretty much the same and consistent with before. It must have been the custom email tune. Not sure why things got worse with the custom email tune. Now I feel like I have to start all over at the track but that's a good thing
Old 08-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #22
Roader

Drives: Camaro
Could have been the tune but it could also be track prep with the 60’ time dropping so much. What was mph the last time out?
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:13 PM   #23
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roader View Post
Could have been the tune but it could also be track prep with the 60’ time dropping so much. What was mph the last time out?
Agree - I think we need to see the whole time slip to better understand what exactly was changing. I look and MPH pickup from 1/8th to 1/4 as a good indicator of hp, if it 60' about the same but did substantially better in the MPH department I'm inclined to agree it was the tuning.