Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #547
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
I will be very surprised if the LSA isn't seriously detuned in the Z. Something far closer to 500 hp.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #548
cHaotix

Drives: 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Send a message via AIM to cHaotix Send a message via MSN to cHaotix Send a message via Yahoo to cHaotix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I will be very surprised if the LSA isn't seriously detuned in the Z. Something far closer to 500 hp.
Why's that? If I may ask.
cHaotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #549
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
What moron would ever pay $100K for a Camaro?

If they're gonna do this thing it'd behoove them to make it a standard car to order, not some super limited deal.
I wouldn't call him a moron, but there is Rick Hendrick.....
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #550
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post

LSA it is people.....

Then again who knows what may be out in 2 years... muahahahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
Cost of the LS7 and LSA are within pennies of each other and the LSA has better emission characteristics. Plus the LSA is capable of more HP per dollar of mods than the LS7.

To clear up the differences in the LSA vs LS9: The LSA has a heavy duty block(just not as heavy duty as the LS9), a forged crank thats a little more ecenomical than it's brother, PM rods rather than forged, hypereutectic piston instead of forged, LS9 oil piston squirters, a 1900cc supercharger in place of the LS9 2300, a wet sump oil pan vs the LS9 dry sump and the LS9 style HD cylinder heads. This means the LSA is one hell of a motor. That being said I too would rather see an LS9 running at a lower PSI than the ZR1 so the owner can turn up the boost without ANY fear of damaging the rotating assembly. But I suspect the 7k price difference is the root cause for GM's decision.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #551
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
The Camaro is not a threat to vette buyers...not even the current SS to the base vette now
Is a Camaro a threat to a Corvette?

On the New Jersey Motorsport Park track our Pedderised G8 came within 7/10 of a second of the lap record for a T1 Vette. The Vette was a full on race car running on slicks. The G8 was on the same Pole Positions that we use to drive the kids to school. Our Camaro has more RWHP, weighs a few hundred pounds less and is running 305/30/19 RE11 Bridgestones all the way around on 19 x 10.5 light weight Forgelines. I wonder how close we will be to T1 Vette track lap records?

Maybe some magazines would be interested in covering the event and reporting the results of a Camaro Corvette Challenge if they thought there would be any interest from the enthusiast community...

Nah, no one would ever put their reputation at risk with this kind of challenge...
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #552
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Is a Camaro a threat to a Corvette?

On the New Jersey Motorsport Park track our Pedderised G8 came within 7/10 of a second of the lap record for a T1 Vette. The Vette was a full on race car running on slicks. The G8 was on the same Pole Positions that we use to drive the kids to school. Our Camaro has more RWHP, weighs a few hundred pounds less and is running 305/30/19 RE11 Bridgestones all the way around on 19 x 10.5 light weight Forgelines. I wonder how close we will be to T1 Vette track lap records?

Maybe some magazines would be interested in covering the event and reporting the results of a Camaro Corvette Challenge if they thought there would be any interest from the enthusiast community...

Nah, no one would ever put their reputation at risk with this kind of challenge...
I was speaking from a buyers perspective..but I am certain of a few tuners that will take up your challenge. I really doubt that Jason @ Katech would not back down along with quite a few others..let's get the ball rolling and try and make it happen.
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #553
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
I was speaking from a buyers perspective..but I am certain of a few tuners that will take up your challenge. I really doubt that Jason @ Katech would not back down along with quite a few others..let's get the ball rolling and try and make it happen.
As we supply many tuners with suspension parts, we will not be entering any competitions with them. It would be wrong to compete with customers Fessler Moss, Nickey Chicago, Hennessey, Berger and many others that are our business partners.Our tuners go to market as they see fit.

Pedders will take on race cars. Beating a race car will speak volumes and not offend or conflict with any of my customers. The magazine is good to go and all we need is a dry day for the scheduled track time.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #554
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
The Camaro Z28 will probably Fall here...

2010 GT500

2010 Z28

2010 GT500 Super Snake
Can you order a Super Snake right from a dealer, or is it a "aftermarket"type of thing?

I am sure someone would do a similar thing with a Z/28
Old 09-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #555
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
Can you order a Super Snake right from a dealer, or is it a "aftermarket"type of thing?

I am sure someone would do a similar thing with a Z/28
You can bet that people are worjking on exactly that right now.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #556
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Dont get me wrong I love the aftermarket cars but its just not the same.....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #557
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Dont get me wrong I love the aftermarket cars but its just not the same.....
While I'm not totally committed to the exact opinion, I have to agree on a lot of it. When I'm in a OEM-stock car, I just don't worry about something breaking, where in a car with aftermarket parts, I sometimes wonder how long things will last. This is coming from someone who's spend several months pay checks on parts for both my past Z28s, so I'm not against aftermarket parts at all. I just think that the engineering behind the majority of aftermarket parts just doesn't compare to the support behind OEM parts - even moreso now that many manufacturers go to extremes like testing at tracks like the 'Ring and such. Don't get me wrong, though, because I'm in no way trying to take anything away from the aftermarket. I know for a fact that many aftermarket companies work in conjunction with the OEMs to design/improve parts. Also, it's relative, to me, as far as what parts we're talking about are. For example - the engine. I know that if I buy a crate engine from GM, that it's been tested to last through 100K miles (or something like that...) in production cars, and that they sometimes spend days at a time on the dyno', under WOT conditions and at 100% load. You can't even duplicate those conditions in the real world (maybe some on a track, but I doubt many of us go that far). I just know that when I get the engine from GM, they're going to stand behind it, and it's going to last. That changes when you start modifying, but stock-for-stock, you almost can't beat they're warranty (what is it? Something like 3/36 for almost all crate engines except race-specific...)

That's just my very humble opinion.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 09-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #558
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
While I'm not totally committed to the exact opinion, I have to agree on a lot of it. When I'm in a OEM-stock car, I just don't worry about something breaking, where in a car with aftermarket parts, I sometimes wonder how long things will last. This is coming from someone who's spend several months pay checks on parts for both my past Z28s, so I'm not against aftermarket parts at all. I just think that the engineering behind the majority of aftermarket parts just doesn't compare to the support behind OEM parts - even moreso now that many manufacturers go to extremes like testing at tracks like the 'Ring and such. Don't get me wrong, though, because I'm in no way trying to take anything away from the aftermarket. I know for a fact that many aftermarket companies work in conjunction with the OEMs to design/improve parts. Also, it's relative, to me, as far as what parts we're talking about are. For example - the engine. I know that if I buy a crate engine from GM, that it's been tested to last through 100K miles (or something like that...) in production cars, and that they sometimes spend days at a time on the dyno', under WOT conditions and at 100% load. You can't even duplicate those conditions in the real world (maybe some on a track, but I doubt many of us go that far). I just know that when I get the engine from GM, they're going to stand behind it, and it's going to last. That changes when you start modifying, but stock-for-stock, you almost can't beat they're warranty (what is it? Something like 3/36 for almost all crate engines except race-specific...)

That's just my very humble opinion.

But for me its more about the heritage of a true GM Z/28.....
What can I say I was brought up to love GM
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #559
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:

But for me its more about the heritage of a true GM Z/28.....
What can I say I was brought up to love GM
What I can say, is: to your post

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #560
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1969 Dusk Blue Z/28, 2015 Red Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I won't even try to say that the LS7 is tapped-out, power-wise, however, there's the problem of drivability/pleasability and emissions to think about too. I could remember reading how the 'Vette engineers were pleased at how smoothly the LS9 idled as opposed to the LS7; the LS7 needs those huge CNC ported heads and pretty large cam to make the 505 horse' that it does, while the LS9 doesn't need a hairy cam and I think emissions are effected less with adding a supercharger (I believe a lot of it has to do with overlap and cam timing, from my meager understanding). I think it boils down to it being easier to slap an LSA, that doesn't require hand-building like the LS9 and LS7, nor require any exotic materials, like the forged LS9 pistons and bearing caps and the Ti rods and intake valves for both. I think it's just easier/feasable to get a smaller FI'd 6.2 to get through emissions cert' than an even hairier LS7 with a bigger cam.

JMVHO.

I love the sounds of a raspy, non idling, cam laiden, high revving naturally aspirated screamer in a Z28 true to it roots, with suspension mods and some pork cutting to 3600 lbs or less. Too much to dream for .........I Know

Tags
2012 camaro z28, 2012 z28, camaro z28, new camaro z28, new z28, z28