Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-04-2017, 11:07 PM   #1
sneakypete
OOH..Sneaky, Sneaky!!

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Exhaust or Tune?

I have Texas Speed long tube headers, catless mid pipes that are running through the NPP mufflers. I recently had a generic P0300 code. I replaced all the spark plugs and the O2 sensors. My car’s exhaust fumes are so damn strong that if you stand behind it while it’s running your eyes will burn and your clothes will smell of gas in a matter of seconds. Is this normal for a catless car or does it sound like my car is running too rich?

I don’t have a wideband to check my AFR but will pick one up if it appears to be running rich.
sneakypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:45 AM   #2
craigd853

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
It's from not running cats. These help absorb that smell. I running hi flow cats on my 2010 with TSP long tubes and as soon as I switched them out i could smell more fumes. Tuner said it was normal and i do have the AFR gauge installed on my car. He was correct, all good. Hope this helps
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:15 AM   #3
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakypete View Post
I have Texas Speed long tube headers, catless mid pipes that are running through the NPP mufflers. I recently had a generic P0300 code. I replaced all the spark plugs and the O2 sensors. My car’s exhaust fumes are so damn strong that if you stand behind it while it’s running your eyes will burn and your clothes will smell of gas in a matter of seconds. Is this normal for a catless car or does it sound like my car is running too rich?

I don’t have a wideband to check my AFR but will pick one up if it appears to be running rich.
That’s called “Merica! Hells yea!” That’s panty droppin powerfume! Lol, jk man, but yea thats normal. If this were my daily, I’d consider putting in a set of universal 3” high flow cats. Might cost you 1hp, and will help with the stink.

The random misfire code could be from a wire touching a header primary, a bad coil or plug. I got some misfire codes when i installed tsp 2” headers, but they went away when i installed a nice thick set of Taylor sparkplug wires and made sure none were touching a header.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You did tune the car with a tune ? Its in the tune if the car is running too rich but yes as others said the cats help cut the gas smell and I believe even help make more decel/fuel cut off popping from their heat and make the car legal most places.......And the tune cannot change the smell if your already tuned well with Stoich and you should have the front o2s operational yet with the code for delayed response blocked and the rears disabled.... in the tune..... and well if you got a remote tune things like a preloaded tune can have unless your just not into say a different fan on off or no 1-4 shift or Hill start assist etc.... it adjusts the AFR with preloaded tables hopefully changing things out to maximize on your mods selected for the "Canned tune".

You must be in CAL where you don't have to smog.....or come from somewhere else licensing it, or are waiting the four years or so ? before they ding you get a new car checked..?
Old 11-05-2017, 09:37 AM   #5
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
you should touch base with dynoSteve at RDP...you really should get a tune, leavin so much on the table without it...my setup is 50 state legal, no cels, 20+ HWY mileage AND I DD the car unless it's raining or snowin....good luck!
Old 11-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #6
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakypete View Post

Catless makes it run lean/rich depending on throttle.

Tune can correct it. or high flow cats. it helps reduce the scent alot.
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:24 PM   #7
sneakypete
OOH..Sneaky, Sneaky!!

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Steve did the tune on my car when I changed out the Cam. Ive had catless cars in the past but I don’t remember them being this strong smelling. It may just be the difference in cams.
sneakypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:13 AM   #8
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
I'm cammed, longtubes, no cats and mine isn't as bad as that.. I suppose getting it checked wouldn't hurt
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:55 AM   #9
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
It's hard to help when you leave out important info....like having a cam.....whether it was tuned (canned or dyno). Those things are kinda important....from someone who says they have had modified cars in the past.
That being said. You will always get some fuel smell, even with hi-flo's. But pungent overwhelming is in the tune. The car should really be properly tuned on a dyno if you have a cam.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote