Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-03-2021, 02:11 PM   #1
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
Smoke on startup

Hey guys, my camaro has been having an issue where it smokes on startup, sometimes not much and sometimes a LOT. The smoke is definitely burning oil. I have a Mighty Mouse wild catch can and speed engineering billet valve covers. I mention the valve covers because they have almost NO baffling, allowing oil to splash up into the AN lines for the catch can and fill it up usually in less than 100 miles. I had this same catch can with different valve covers and it filled up WAY slower so I plan on getting motion raceworks baffled valve covers. Anyway, I don’t drive the car all that much anymore but recently I’ve been driving it a bit more. I let it sit for almost two months without starting it (bad, I know) and the first time I started it, it smoked a little for a few seconds after I started it. Just about every cold start since then it has smoked and yesterday after not starting it for 10 days while I was out of town, I started it and it smoked very heavily for probably 30 seconds or more. Once it heats up it goes away but this was the worse I’ve seen it. I will mention, it was parked on an incline and I feel like I’ve noticed the smoke being worse when parked on an incline. Maybe it’s not but I thought I’d mention it. Do y’all think this could be an issue with the catch can/valve cover situation? Or do you think it’s motor related? The engine was freshened up top to bottom around two years ago but it’s probably got only 5-10k miles on it since then. Any help is appreciated
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 03:14 PM   #2
SynergyGreenSS

I just started the car and no smoke after sitting for around a full day
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
Old 07-08-2021, 08:19 PM   #3
SS Blinder

Drives: 2011 SS (Sparrow Spearer???)
How's your oil level? Does it change as you have been emptying out your catch can?
Old 07-08-2021, 08:21 PM   #4
SynergyGreenSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Blinder View Post
How's your oil level? Does it change as you have been emptying out your catch can?

Oil level changes pretty similarly with how the catch can fills. Meaning that every time I empty the catch can I add oil
Old 07-08-2021, 08:29 PM   #5
SS Blinder

have you checked for blow by?
Old 07-08-2021, 08:32 PM   #6
SynergyGreenSS

Quote:
have you checked for blow by?

The car has some blow by, not much. The rings were gapped a little wider than stock when the engine was freshened up a few years ago because of the supercharger. Prior to installing these valve covers the car didn’t have an alarming oil consumption issue. I’d add a little bit here and there but nothing like I do now. Since that’s really all that’s changed I’m pretty positive the valve covers are my issue but I’m no expert so I wanted to hear other thoughts
Old 07-08-2021, 08:36 PM   #7
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
When you redid the top end do you think you could have possibly damage a couple of valve seals. Not saying it’s Seals but one more thing to consider.
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:39 PM   #8
SynergyGreenSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOJO View Post
When you redid the top end do you think you could have possibly damage a couple of valve seals. Not saying it’s Seals but one more thing to consider.

I’ve considered valve seals but the car didn’t used to smoke at all, maybe they’ve worn but the top end was 100% new as I installed a set of LSA heads and did all new valvetrain components when the motor was refreshed. I’m thinking about disconnecting the catch can completely and driving like 100 miles or something to see if the oil level drops, and also to see if it continues smoking on startup
Old 07-08-2021, 08:39 PM   #9
SS Blinder

Easiest thing is to swap the old covers back on and do the same sequencing of startups, then go from there
Old 07-08-2021, 08:41 PM   #10
SynergyGreenSS

Quote:
Easiest thing is to swap the old covers back on and do the same sequencing of startups, then go from there

I have a set of stock covers but the only reason I haven’t put them on yet is because the covers on it now have -10 AN lines coming out of them (which I neck down to -8 to match the catch can). So I felt like it would be kind of annoying to have to swap those lines back to fit but I guess in reality it’s not all that much work