Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #1
Quicksilver2SS

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 NPP
Meguiars endurance tire gel on plastic trim?

I've been using the meguires endurance tire gel for years with excellent results on the tires, apply a good amount and with a dry cloth scrub it in, it leaves a perfect slight gloss finish thats lasts a full month.

I wonder if it can be used on plastic trim as well?

I've used meguiars trim dressing sponges and they work good, just thinking maybe the endurance will get longer lasting results.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #2
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
I tried the Megs Gel many years ago, and though it does last a good while, the "sling off" from a fresh application stopped me from using it, no matter how thin I applied it, it would sling down the side of the car.

For trim work, if it already looks good, Carpro Perl diluted 2-1 is great.

For weathered/faded trim work, Adams Black Trim Restorer is fantastic. It does contain dye, so you need to tape off painted areas/glass.
It needs a few days without the car being driven in the rain to cure. I didn't take pics, but did an area on someone's vehicle with faded trim work 3 months ago, and it still looks great.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:44 AM   #3
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
Armor All Outlast is also excellent for restoring exterior plastic and vinyl
Old 10-15-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
I tried the Megs Gel many years ago, and though it does last a good while, the "sling off" from a fresh application stopped me from using it, no matter how thin I applied it, it would sling down the side of the car.
It's in the application - I used to think the same as you about the slinging. You need to put it on then a bit later come back with a rag to rub it into the tires and remove the excess
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
It's in the application - I used to think the same as you about the slinging. You need to put it on then a bit later come back with a rag to rub it into the tires and remove the excess

After prepping tires by using a strong APC, it was evident to me that the MEGS remained in it's Gel form, so even when I applied it as thin as possible, having no excess, it would still sling no matter how long I let it sit before driving.

I use Adams Tire Shine, apply with their Hex applicator, wait 10 minutes to allow it to dry, tires look wet, but are dry to the touch, no sling at all.

Super easy to apply vs. the MEGS, and no additional wiping needed. No nasty greasy stuff all over my hands either.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote