Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-29-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
Char1ieone
Fear the Red Bow Tie

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Factory leather seat cover problem

Hey guys I just wanna know if any of you have noticed this problem or occurance that I am noticing with my leather seat cover for the bottom half of my Camaro seats (both driver and passenger)?

So about 2 months ago I noticed that the foam cushion on the bottom of my driver seat was beginning to show, but thought noting of it until after time it began to show more and more until I could see the foam once i open the door. In my opinion it started to look really bad to see, so I looked underneath the seat to see what was going on and noticed that the cover was beginning to creep up closer to the top of the cushion the more I would sit in my seat. Yesterday I decided to take a closer look to see what is causing it and simply just pulled up the cushion with no problem at all, it just slipped up and I thought that i cant be that easy. Well I noticed that there are hook sleeves sewn to the leather cover but they seem to be facing the wrong direction and serve no purpose by the way that they are facing. Iv'e only seen the front and side closest to the doors and the fornt is facing the oposite direction that I think it should be facing in order to hook the metal seat frame to secire the leather from riding up and the side hook piping on both seats is facing the wrong direction AND upside down. Check out the photos to see for yourself, I've even drew some figures of what it is that I am talking about and the way I think that they should be sewn on.

Here you can see the cushion showing by the leather cover riding up.

Here you see the hook piping facing out which I believe should be facing inward so it can hook up to the metal frame just underneath.

This is the side of the cover and you see how the piping is upside down and facing outward. I honestly dont see the purpose of these unless they were facing inward hooking to the metal seat frame where it surves out and down. You guys should take a look and see because all I did was simplay lift the seat and bam, I see everything to the seat.

Here are some drawings that show the problems that I see on top and how I believe the piping SHOULD be.

This is showing the problem I am seeing. LEFT: side view of seats. RIGHT: Frontal view of seats.

Here is what i believe the hooked pipings should be doing.

What I am wondering is since this was a 2010 model car if it was a simple stiching error on GM's or another company's part and whether my wear and tear warranty may cover this for a replacement? Are you guys having the same thing happening?
Char1ieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
Elvis
Elvis is Camaro,s name

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM L99 Auto
Looks backward to me also....warranty should cover...going to check mine....

Excellent pictures and sketch showing issue...

ELvis
Old 11-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
warranty should cover it. Also, did you draw those pictures? They're really good.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Coop 2010
Delivered 05/20/2009

Drives: Black 2010 2SS RS
I think there is a Service Bulletin on this, They will order a whole new seat bottom.

The plastic piece is supposed to fold under to attach to the metal, (like the picture above) this is what gives tension to the seat cover. It wasn't easy but I was able to
re-attatch mine myself. I thought it was a one time thing. After it coming off multiple times I took it in and they acknowledged there was a problem.

They said the plastic U-piece was too long on some and it prevented it from staying on.

The good news is mine has been perfect since they replaced it.
Coop 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
Char1ieone
Fear the Red Bow Tie

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Do you happen to have the setvise bulletin, know what tye name of it is, or where I could find it here on the forums cause that would help out a lot to show when I take the camaro in.
Char1ieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
Coop 2010
Delivered 05/20/2009

Drives: Black 2010 2SS RS
I don't have the number, but they admitted it was a known issue. You should have no problem getting it covered. They might try trimming the plastic piece first, that's it what they tried on mine. I don't know if that's what they are directed to do or not. When I came back two days later with it unattached again they just ordered the piece and said they would call when it came in.
Coop 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
I had the same problem, I thought I fixed my self, checked it a month later, and it came undone again. I took it to the dealer, they ordered the seat bottom cover, went back, and they replaced it. All is well now
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
bkwagonss

Drives: 2011 Caprice PPV
I have the same problem.
An upolstery guy saw my car at a car show and told me my leather seat material should not look so loose, as it is a new car.
I told my dealer about the next time I brought it in.
They ordered and replaced the foam cushion underneith thinking it was bad.
When I got it back it didn't look any better, so they ordered the leather cover.
After that it looked good and tight, like it should. But about a month later the front came off like you show in the picture.
I looked at the passenger side and it looks correct.
That long plastic clip is folded over and clipped on to the frame.
I tried streaching it back on myself, but I can't do it unless I take the seat off.
So it's going back in soon for it's next oil change and I'll have them try again.
If they can't do it this time I'm going to demand either a new seat or they take it to a real upolstery shop to fix it.
My car is a very early model and I think I've have every problem these cars have had!
1971 C10 (restoring, including LT1 from Caprice)
bkwagonss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
I had a early ware issue and GM did change my cover under warranty. Go for it...
Name:  siege2.jpg
Views: 2833
Size:  141.3 KB
Old 06-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
JCarr29

Drives: Chevy Camaro and Silverado
I took my 2010 Camaro in to the dealer today for a tire puncture repair and also had them look at the seat cover coming unhooked as described in the first post. The repair description listed on the invoice said: "Modified J-Channel retainer on driver's seat as per PI0258"

I Googled PI0258 and came up with: http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/D...chlink%20F.pdf

Condition - 2010-2011 Camaro – Front seat cushion cover J-channel retainer comes loose from front of seat frame.
Do This - Cut the j-clip on the seat cover and reinstall the cover.
Don't Do This - Replace the seat cover.

Hopefully this will work, but if it doesn't I supposed I will have to take it back and see if they will replace it for me?
Old 10-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
yellowrs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS 426 V8 M/T
I am having the same problem. Dealship said to bring it for repairs.
It is covered under the 3 year/36 month warranty!
yellowrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:04 AM   #12
mikes02ls1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Damn my 2010 is doing this but it way out of warranty. Damn me car only has 62k