#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
321LATER
321LATER

Drives: 2019 White ZL1 (On Order)
2019 ZL1 - Won't Happen for me

So after having ordered my 2019 ZL1 back in November I was told yesterday that there is no way I will be able to get one since only 250 are being made for Canada. I called several dealers and they all confirmed although the numbers they quoted for ZL1 shipping to Canada were different they did not get any allocation either.

This sucks as I was willing to give GM lots of money for the ZL1 but I guess my money is not good enough.

I did find a 2018 ZL1 Convertible that is being sold with only 1,300KMS which I will be looking at on Saturday. Never owned a convertible and just wondering what to expect with the ZL1 convertible. Any insights would be appreciated.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
Johnman

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 convertible IOM
I owned a Gen 5 ZL1 convertible and it was a joy. And the verts are even more rare than the coupes, if that means anything to you. I've STILL never seen another ZL1 convertible (Gen 5 or 6) on the street here in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. Not one.
Johnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
lgarrison34

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE HBM, 2010 SS FBO/Cam
The convertible ZL1s do not have the eLSD.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #4
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
They're also heavier, and I thought governed at 165 mph.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321LATER View Post
So after having ordered my 2019 ZL1 back in November I was told yesterday that there is no way I will be able to get one since only 250 are being made for Canada. I called several dealers and they all confirmed although the numbers they quoted for ZL1 shipping to Canada were different they did not get any allocation either.

This sucks as I was willing to give GM lots of money for the ZL1 but I guess my money is not good enough.

I did find a 2018 ZL1 Convertible that is being sold with only 1,300KMS which I will be looking at on Saturday. Never owned a convertible and just wondering what to expect with the ZL1 convertible. Any insights would be appreciated.
Since ZL1s are rare in Canada, a ZL1 convertible must be super rare. I'm quite sure that there were fewer ZL1 convertibles produced than ZL1 1LEs.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:02 PM   #6
HogmanZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Convertible
I was in the market for a 18 coupe, never really gave the convertible any consideration. I did come across a certified pre-owned 18 convertible in Charlotte NC in hyper blue and M6 that checked off all the boxes that i wanted. Mostly I was torn about giving up the eLSD in the convertible. I know thats the big selling point of the ZL1 performance.

With the wife on board with the convertible, without argument, and the deal i got with only 2800 miles on it, i traveled 4 hours to pick it up. i drove it home with the top up on the highway. Once i was 45 mins from home in Atlanta I put the top down for the first time. Thats when the real ear to ear grin hit my face and any and all regrets went away. wow! What a car.

Dont worry about the convertible unless you really plan to track it. My closest/local track apparently doesnt let verts on the track at all without a roll cage. Bummer, but there are others that do so just have to seek them out for 1-2 weekends a year. I wonder what difference the eLSD would make, guess i wont know until next round.
HogmanZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
321LATER
321LATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogmanZL1 View Post
I was in the market for a 18 coupe, never really gave the convertible any consideration. I did come across a certified pre-owned 18 convertible in Charlotte NC in hyper blue and M6 that checked off all the boxes that i wanted. Mostly I was torn about giving up the eLSD in the convertible. I know thats the big selling point of the ZL1 performance.

With the wife on board with the convertible, without argument, and the deal i got with only 2800 miles on it, i traveled 4 hours to pick it up. i drove it home with the top up on the highway. Once i was 45 mins from home in Atlanta I put the top down for the first time. Thats when the real ear to ear grin hit my face and any and all regrets went away. wow! What a car.

Dont worry about the convertible unless you really plan to track it. My closest/local track apparently doesnt let verts on the track at all without a roll cage. Bummer, but there are others that do so just have to seek them out for 1-2 weekends a year. I wonder what difference the eLSD would make, guess i wont know until next round.
I definitely do not plan to track it and my wife is now even more open to considering the purchase if it is a vert. Till this day I still have not seen a ZL1 vert in my area.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:20 PM   #8
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
ZL1 verts kickass!
ELSD is not missed.

Repeat after me: "I can have an ultra rare 650hp convertible!"
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:53 PM   #9
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnman View Post
I owned a Gen 5 ZL1 convertible and it was a joy. And the verts are even more rare than the coupes, if that means anything to you. I've STILL never seen another ZL1 convertible (Gen 5 or 6) on the street here in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. Not one.
After reading this I've realized I've never seen one in the wild in my area either, on the showroom flr yes.
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:07 PM   #10
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
I live in LA, and have the ONLY ZL1 convertible I have ever seen within hundreds of miles. Even at the big Camaro events, like CamaroCon, Camaros and Coffee, as well as the huge car clubs, still the only one.

My guess is , between the eSLD, PDR, and 1LE option,drivers who want the ultimate driving experience this car has to offer or who planr to track it have little to gain getting the vert. not to mention it's hundreds of pounds heavier!

All that being said, I bought the vert because I already have a CTS-V coupe, and was ONLY in the market for a convertible. After pricing out a well optioned SS, it only made sense to move up to the ZL1 convertible.

OP, I have gone 180+ in my CTS-V with windows down, sunroof open, etc... it is NOTHING like going 180+ in this convertible with the top down... never had an experience like it ... resale should be higher, if you ever decide to get rid of it (why would you)... It was hard to compare the vert to any car, as it really doesn't have a pony competitor.

Also, someone mentioned that it is governed at ~ 165mph... this is absolutely true. While... driving in Mexico... I ran an Audi S6.. destroyed it of course, but then I hit a speed wall. If you've ever hit the speed limit in a car like this, it really does feel like you hit something, and then started dragging something, as the acceleration goes to zero. This was easily fixed with my first vehicle tune... but knowing I was limited to 165mph was quite annoying...
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #11
321LATER
321LATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
ZL1 verts kickass!
ELSD is not missed.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #12
Noreplacement

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
ZL1 verts kickass!
ELSD is not missed.

+1
Noreplacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:30 PM   #13
Gritesh

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10 Black
Did your dealer have any allocations for you?

I know of a local dealer here that says they have 3 more allocations, I could put you in touch with the person I dealt with, you would be purchasing from Alberta and have to ship the car to Ontario though
Gritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:47 PM   #14
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
I live in LA, and have the ONLY ZL1 convertible I have ever seen within hundreds of miles. Even at the big Camaro events, like CamaroCon, Camaros and Coffee, as well as the huge car clubs, still the only one.

My guess is , between the eSLD, PDR, and 1LE option,drivers who want the ultimate driving experience this car has to offer or who planr to track it have little to gain getting the vert. not to mention it's hundreds of pounds heavier!

All that being said, I bought the vert because I already have a CTS-V coupe, and was ONLY in the market for a convertible. After pricing out a well optioned SS, it only made sense to move up to the ZL1 convertible.

OP, I have gone 180+ in my CTS-V with windows down, sunroof open, etc... it is NOTHING like going 180+ in this convertible with the top down... never had an experience like it ... resale should be higher, if you ever decide to get rid of it (why would you)... It was hard to compare the vert to any car, as it really doesn't have a pony competitor.

Also, someone mentioned that it is governed at ~ 165mph... this is absolutely true. While... driving in Mexico... I ran an Audi S6.. destroyed it of course, but then I hit a speed wall. If you've ever hit the speed limit in a car like this, it really does feel like you hit something, and then started dragging something, as the acceleration goes to zero. This was easily fixed with my first vehicle tune... but knowing I was limited to 165mph was quite annoying...
Unrelated question, but how is the straight line traction with the Michelin 4S compared to the original Goodyears? I’ve been considering a set, but don’t want to sacrifice ultimate dry traction. I’m already traction limited with the stock Goodyears as it is. I’m a big Michelin fan, but fear they’ll be a step down in grip.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote