Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-18-2019, 07:26 AM   #15
SammyDog

Drives: 2018 Zl1 Vert A10
I love mine. The weather in Florida is partial to having the top down. Canada on the other hand...

As far as the vehicle is concerned, It is one the fastest cruisers in production. If price is taken into account along with hp, it is the proverbial best bang for the buck of convertibles.

I easily got mine to 145 mph on a closed road. It is amazingly comfortable, stable and relatively quiet. The driver and passenger live in a bubble of air. My wife had no idea how fast we were going. Over my lifetime I have gone much faster on various motorcycles, and they are much scarier at that speed.

As far as handling; there are a few curves where I live. The car drives like it is on a rail. The only time I hear a "convertible squeak" is when I get into the garage when I have to drive at an angle into a zone where the concrete changes from a couple degrees to 4 or 5. On the road i have never heard anything suspicious. That body is structurally rigid.

But...the top will require some care. Mine is parked in a garage, and I use a light dust cover. However the fabric top will require some cleaning and conditioning every couple of months or more often. The OEM cover alone costs $975 w/o labor. According to colleagues who had convertibles of all brands, a properly maintained top will last about ten years if garage kept and cared for. The weak point could be the stitches. Some shops can re-stitch tops for a couple of hundreds.

The insurance is not that much more on the account that it is a convertible, but my car is insured for less than 7500 miles per year. My driving record is spotless. I pay less than $200 more a year than for my 17 Nissan titan pick-up.

In conclusion, I do not regret buying it. I have 1800 miles on it, and less than 100 with the top up. And the weather... well look at the Brits. Arguably the invented the roadster. And the weather is not exactly great over there. I'd say go for it.
SammyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #16
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
ZL1 verts kickass!
ELSD is not missed.

Repeat after me: "I can have an ultra rare 650hp convertible!"

Ditto
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:54 PM   #17
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
321Later, check your private messages
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #18
C Man

Drives: 2018 White Convertible Camaro ZL1
I have a convertible. With good weather only around for 6 months of the year... I like the open air feel. And hearing the roar of the engine WOT is amazing with the top down.

I wouldn't buy another summer car that wasn't a convertible after the last 2 I've had.

As far as them being rare... I guess they would be. However, interesting enough, there is a Red Vert just down the street from me.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:15 PM   #19
19Nasty1le
Craig

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
PM'd you about this as well
19Nasty1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #20
321LATER
321LATER

Drives: 2019 White ZL1 (On Order)
Happy Monday everyone. Just wanted to give everyone an update. First, thank you to everyone that messaged me letting me know where there may be additional allocations if I wanted to pursue the 2019.

I did end up purchasing the 2018 ZL1 Vert. After seeing it in person the decision was pretty easy to make. Stunning car.

Once again thank everyone for the support.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:20 PM   #21
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
They're also heavier, and I thought governed at 165 mph.
I wonder if anyone here has a need to go OVER 165mph. GM doing their part to Keep America Alive Again. Maybe they should make silly red caps that read "My ZL1 is limited to 165mph to keep me alive because I think I'm a great driver at any speed".
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:40 PM   #22
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatourer View Post
I wonder if anyone here has a need to go OVER 165mph. GM doing their part to Keep America Alive Again. Maybe they should make silly red caps that read "My ZL1 is limited to 165mph to keep me alive because I think I'm a great driver at any speed".
I'd be happier if GM kept their manufacturing in the U.S. and started designing vehicles that get rave reviews (unlike the Blazer, 19 Camaro refresh, 19 Silverado, etc), not to mention keeping some of the sedans in the lineup or making a compromise.

Instead, they are challenging my loyalty and the loyalty of others. I could really care less about keeping America Alive by limiting cars to 165mph. Natural selection can be a thing of beauty.

/soapbox

OP- congrats on the 18 Z Vert!
1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:55 PM   #23
321LATER
321LATER

Drives: 2019 White ZL1 (On Order)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harner View Post
I'd be happier if GM kept their manufacturing in the U.S. and started designing vehicles that get rave reviews (unlike the Blazer, 19 Camaro refresh, 19 Silverado, etc), not to mention keeping some of the sedans in the lineup or making a compromise.

Instead, they are challenging my loyalty and the loyalty of others. I could really care less about keeping America Alive by limiting cars to 165mph. Natural selection can be a thing of beauty.

/soapbox

OP- congrats on the 18 Z Vert!
Thank you.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #24
Noreplacement

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321LATER View Post
Happy Monday everyone. Just wanted to give everyone an update. First, thank you to everyone that messaged me letting me know where there may be additional allocations if I wanted to pursue the 2019.

I did end up purchasing the 2018 ZL1 Vert. After seeing it in person the decision was pretty easy to make. Stunning car.

Pics plse. Congrats. Welcome to the club. Verts are best and red is fastest.
Noreplacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #25
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321LATER View Post

1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote