Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-02-2015, 05:53 AM   #15
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_SS View Post
Had a guy in a very loud 4.6 Mustang rev at me under a bridge the other day

It's always people like that, not anyone that typically owns something nice. Most 5.0/Challenger owners I run into on the road are typically very respectful of one another. It's always the kid in the cheap Mustang dad bought him that's driving like an ass hole.
Ohhh u drive a muscle car and someone revs at u
Homeless Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:01 AM   #16
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantemcc View Post
I've only owned Bee for about seven months now and rarely get to drive him because I'm always on the road. My first time owning a car that had any legitimate story rivalry with another car. I have yet to encounter anyone owning a Mustang or Challenger roll up to me and or yell from a distance anything bad about Bee. Just wondering, because i know it has happened to someone, if not multiple people, if anyone in a rival muscle car has every tried to start something because you yourself own one of their cars rival?
dantemcc, anyone you run into on the road that only want to try to race you, or have a need to yell obscenities at or about your car are just attempting to "COMPENSATE" for their inadequacies and are douches.

TRUE Car Guys will shoot you a "Thumbs Up" on the road, or even come up to you in a parking lot and say things like "NICE RIDE"......REGARDLESS of what they drive. the rest.....ignore and go about your way.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:04 AM   #17
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
Not much. Just the wide eyed maniac grin or frozen in a trance thing from boys under 12 and seniors over 50.

A lot of guys driving six figure exotics take notice which is a bit weird but good for my massive ego.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #18
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
Almost every Challenger I have encountered while driving my Camaro ends up with a friendly exchange. If while in motion, generally a thumbs up or a peace sign, if at a gas station or parking lot, a friendly "Nice ride" or "Very sharp car." I had a Challenger keep pace with me on the freeway once, and we exchanged thumbs up, then resumed normal driving. That's about the extent of my Challenger encounters. Almost always positive.

Mustangs are more of a mixed bag, but still generally positive. All depends on who is driving mostly. If it is a recent model, then usually positive exchanges like with the Challengers, with a few exceptions. Problems with Mustangs usually involve the kid drivers who act more akin to the import crowd in their behaviors. But they are generally in V6 coupes or much older GT's, and feel some need to get me to notice them for some reason.

The best of my Mustang encounters are the following:

- In a small town near where I live, I saw an older gen Cobra coming the other way towards me in a 25mph zone. It was very clean, and obviously well maintained, so, having my window down, I shot him a finger pointing followed by a thumbs up. As he got closer, he put it in neutral, and as he drifted towards me, revved his engine a couple times, then waved as we passed and returned the thumbs up.

- In another area not too far from there, about a year previous, was an intersection that had a light that was a ridiculously long wait in the evenings because the cross traffic is a highly traveled route back to the suburbs. It can be quite a while before the light changes for the lesser traveled route that connects to it there. I pulled up to the light there just as it turned yellow one evening coming home from work in my previous 2011 1LS Camaro. There, next to me was a 2012 Boss 302 Mustang. It was a warm day and both of us had our windows down, so the guy said to me (half joking I think) "You want to go on green?" I replied, "Ah..maybe, if you're willing to give me a head start." Confused, he said, "Why do you need a head start?" I chuckled and said, "My friend, you have a Boss 302, with track tuned suspension, adjustable shocks, and for all I know, you could be using the red track key right now. I'm in a Camaro LS, base model, 3.6 V6, I don't stand a chance no matter how you look at it." He grinned ear to ear and responded, "That's not the SS? I didn't know. I'm very impressed that you know so much about my car, and embarrassed I couldn't even tell what yours was. It is still a super sexy car regardless, and I hope you didn't think me one of those jerks picking on a lower model.." I smiled and said, "Yours is very nice, and no offense taken. Have a good evening." Light finally changed then and we waved as we moved on.

- Right after I got my '15 1LE, I took it to work on a nice day. When I left work, first light I pulled up to had me lined up with a late previous gen mustang GT (Pre 2005 model) Another nice day, windows already down. I can hear the driver's girlfriend goading him. "That's your rival, right, a Camaro?" she says to him. He says, "Be quiet." Girl climbs halfway over the center console and quickly presses her hand down on driver's right leg, making his engine rev, and yells at me, "You don't want none of this, Camaro!" He says, "don't do that.." I look over directly at them and smile and wave as I put mine in neutral and rev the NPP once for her. She says, "See, don't wimp out, race him!" The guy gently pushes her back in her seat and says, "Shut up, that's not just an SS, it's a 1LE, I can't beat that.." I yelled over, "Very clean GT there, looking sharp brother! Enjoy the rest of this beautiful day." Light changed before I could say anything else. I took off gently to help the guy save face, as I had to respect that he knew my car, much like I had with the Boss guy years before. I was in the left turn lane, so I don't know what that girl was thinking was going to happen anyway..

Worst of my Mustang encounters:

- Complimented a very clean and well maintained 05-09 Mustang V6 coupe at a gas station once. (Was still in the 1LS at this point) Told him his ride was very sharp, and I could tell he took very good care of it. Guy scowled at me and said, "I know yours is newer and faster, there's no need to rub it in my face." I never said anything of the sort, but it was clear that some Camaro driver had upset this fella somewhere along the line, and I just happened to get the brunt of it for whatever reason. My goal had just been a friendly pump discussion or compliment exchange. Just got in my car and left, felt sorry for the guy that he had obviously experienced nothing but negative "rival" encounters prior to that and had just assumed the worst from my talking to him.

- Guy in a white "GT" Mustang goading me at a light, saying all sorts of negative trash talk about Camaro. I simply looked over at him and said, "As I pulled up beside you, I couldn't help but notice the indentation in your rear diffuser above your right tailpipe, yet your left "tailpipe" sticks out lower beneath the straight edge of it with no exhaust fumes coming out of it. You've got the "GT badging" a little too high and crooked on those V6 coupe fenders too. Your mouth is making claims your car can't back up there buddy." He yelled "FU" and floored it when the light changed. I just let him go. No car, no matter what it is, is worth the risks of street racing anyway, but I'm not even going to dignify a poser with an engine rev.

Other Camaros, I always exchange, or at least give a thumbs up or peace sign to. Most of the time it is reciprocated, but some of the time not. Only had one try to race on the freeway, but I shook my head no and let him run ahead of me without incident. I generally wave or thumbs up Vettes too, but it is about a 50/50 split between the car guys who wave back, and the arrogant ones who ignore you.

The most troublesome cars are honestly never the "rival cars", but the drivers of tuner import cars, or, more surprisingly, women in SUVs. I've had more of those try to run me down and cut me off than anything else, and I've never understood it. Hope these little stories are the type you were looking for, OP, but from my first 2011 1LS that I bought in 2010 up through and including my current 2015 1SS 1LE, that's about all the highlights of experiences with the "rival cars" that I have to share. If you ask about encounters with with the imports and SUVs though, I could write you a small book on all of that nonsense.
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #19
BravoMyles

Drives: Blue/Black 2017 1SS
Had a kid not long ago in a 2007ish Roush Mustang pass me going 10 or so MPH in opposite directions. I was gonna compliment him real quick since we both had our windows down, and it was a Roush. Unfortunately before I could do so, he looked me dead in the eyes and said, "Your car is SLOW."

I was in total shock and just laughed at him. Who does that, really?

Best part is, I found someone in a local car group that's talked to him before. That particular Roush is only a Stage 1, meaning with that year model (it was before they upped the power to 400+ in the stock GT) it was over 100 HP below my SS since the Stage 1 is only a visual upgrade.

I'd love to find that kid again and invite him to a track, just to show him what his arrogance can earn him. I have no problems with Mustangs, my grandparents have a custom S/C'ed 2007 Shelby for that matter, I love that car. It's just when people are arrogant about it that I feel they should be put in their place.

There's always someone faster, people need to keep that in mind.
BravoMyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #20
RGRCamaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Never have had someone yell or say anything negative about my car to my face or while driving. The rivalry thing is pretty dumb, I like performance, don't care about the make and model.

RGRCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #21
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
Ive had great luck on the road with fellow enthusiast (to include anyone who takes care of their ride). Usually exchange nods or waves.

Except Camaro drivers...only 1 of out 4 will acknowledge. LOL...not sure what it is.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #22
BravoMyles

Drives: Blue/Black 2017 1SS
Oh yea, and then there's the friend of a girl I was seeing for a bit who drove a v6 Challenger. Apparently he did nothing but talk bad about Camaros, mine included because I guess he was jealous or something.

I mean c'mon, I get the friendly rivalry, but don't blatantly hate me because of my car. Especially don't try to say a stock RT will run me without evidence to back it up.
BravoMyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #23
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
use to love racing cars on my superbikes...never had a car beat me..
gave up riding them this year..
i wont race in my camaro..no car feels fast to me after riding fast bikes all my life
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #24
321LATER
321LATER

Drives: 2019 White ZL1 (On Order)
The ones that piss me off are the Dodge Ram Truck drivers......they are always trying to find a way to get a rise out of me...tailgating me and then when I pull over to let them through they decide to get behind me wtf.....

Mustang drivers have always been very friendly....more so that the other Camaro drivers I have run into......

Happy driving.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #25
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
It was always Mustangs that would give me trouble. The affordable ones. Older V6's and GT's from the early 2000's through about 2010. Typical scenario--some jackass would weave up through traffic and get next to me and try to get me to race. Just wasn't going to happen. Nothing to prove by winning or losing a street race with a kid in a ragged out car.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #26
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2018 Colorado
Don't have too many run ins. It's usually the prius that needs to be in front of me.
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:36 PM   #27
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
I don't have many. The people that I notice try to race me generally drive the following types of cars:

- VW Hatchbacks (I'm convinced people who drive VW Hatchbacks are the second biggest douchebags on the road behind anyone who owns a Toyota of any kind)
- Lifted vehicles, mostly notably lifted Jeep Wranglers.
- Challenger/Chargers.

I don't generally get challenged by Mustangs or other Camaro drivers, because in general we're not assholes.

I did have one of the Hellcat Challengers try to race me at last years Dream Cruise, and I just laughed.
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #28
Ides of March

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
I don't drive mine that much. Almost two years and only 11,800 miles. But never had an issue with another muscle car driver. Most look, and I look at theirs. I do get waves from other camaro guys driving around. But no one tries to race me at a light.
Ides of March is offline   Reply With Quote