Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-15-2015, 08:57 AM   #1
Niceun

Drives: 2012 45th edition RS 2LT
JL Audio Speakers

Do any of you guys have these speakers in your ride? If so what do you think of them. And did you have to make any modifications or use a bracket? Thanks

C5-650: 6.5-inch (165 mm) 2-Way Component Speaker System

SKU # 99104

View Larger

C5-650

2-Way Component System: 6.5-inch (165 mm) Woofer, 0.75-inch (19 mm) Silk Dome Tweeter

The smoothness and transparency of a high-end silk dome tweeter combines with top-flight component woofer performance to create a loudspeaker system with exceptional refinement and dynamic capability.
The C5-650 component system features 6.5-inch (165 mm) component woofers with die-cast alloy baskets and Kurt Müller cones and suspensions. This woofer benefits from JL Audio's vast woofer design experience and advanced modeling systems.
The C5 component tweeters are built with 0.75-inch silk dome diaphragms that deliver smooth, extended response, on and off axis. Flush-mounting and surface-mounting fixtures are included to fit a wide variety of installation needs. The flush-mount fixtures feature our RSR (Ratcheting Swivel Rotation) mechanism to allow precise tweeter aiming after installation.
C5 crossover networks are compact and built with premium component parts, including Mylar® capacitors and segmented air-core inductors. Four levels of tweeter attenuation are provided, as well as three levels of mid-range presence adjustment, for twelve possible voicing combinations!
Woofer grilles are included, each consisting of a black grille tray and a black steel mesh grille with an electroformed JL Audio logo.
Sonic character: Smooth and balanced
Made in Germany, Sold as a pair.
Niceun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Built in the USA (Made in Germany!)

JL made a name for themselves with subs, but I would look elsewhere for high end components. I was impressed with the C5 series sonically, almost good as the Infinity Kappa but none of the C5's are worth $500-$800. I wouldn't pay more than $200 or $250 for them if you have to have them. The C2's sound almost as good as the C5's and are only $100-150/pr.

There are far better products in the $500-$1000 price level.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Built in the USA (Made in Germany!)

JL made a name for themselves with subs, but I would look elsewhere for high end components. I was impressed with the C5 series sonically, almost good as the Infinity Kappa but none of the C5's are worth $500-$800. I wouldn't pay more than $200 or $250 for them if you have to have them. The C2's sound almost as good as the C5's and are only $100-150/pr.

There are far better products in the $500-$1000 price level.
While I understand what you are saying, they aren't in the $500-1000 price level. Current price on Amazon is $429. And I've seen them sell for cheaper than that.

As to the OP, those speakers have been referenced here numerous times. I've not read a bad thing about them.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:07 AM   #4
vtxretro02

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss Heritage Grill/GFX
c5 650 jl in 2012 2ss/rs

I put a pair in the doors about two years ago...along with a jl400/4 amp in the factory location....it was a chore getting wiring to crossover and there was not much room where the crossover eventually resided... just under the handrest..velcrod to the black inner platic liner of door - when door panel is reinstalled it is wedged in and will not move... . I used ******** speaker adaptors to take up the open space between factory housing and different dimension of the jl speakers. The factory oem cage was reused with the jl tweeters on door pillar. I opted to not change the back deck speakers because the system sounded great at that point... I may eventually... but trust me... with the jl stealthbox I have in trunk.. powered by 600/1 jl xd amp... it sounds great. Seems like I may get a bit more clarity if I change out the back deck speakers at some point ... but for now...in my opinion and for what it's worth... ... its money wasted (back deck speakers) until they blow... forgot to say... Im running a mylink rertofitted touch screen oem setup that I purchased from ofer and the gang at gen5diy. Hope this helps
vtxretro02 is offline   Reply With Quote