Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #57
Steve1LE

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Lynx just delivered a tactical nuke to this thread!
I was waiting for the angry mob to arrive but I guess that is not needed since the thread has been nuked.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #58
FoxSS

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS
She is clearly over the line in the first picture. File it on her insurance...
FoxSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #59
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynxSSavage View Post
Why are we behaving as if the OP is comparing his car to a human life? Like really important things in that manner. That's like saying, "Don't complain about not having heat, there are children in Asia with no food.".

No one is denying that it is a material object. But let's play the replacement game. The money spent on the car costs your time. What you get paid per hour is the monetary value for your resource called time. Time cannot be replaced, refunded, rewound or otherwise compensated once the time and the money given for the time is gone.

So perhaps some people put a lot of time and money into these things that makes them happy or contributes to their happiness. That time cannot be replaced. In fact that time went away with the car if the car is destroyed. That said, if he wants to have his car back in the condition it was in BEFORE the idiot hit it that is yet MORE time which is not replaceable.

You are minimizing his feelings about his stuff, that he spent his money on, that he used his finite resource called time to earn. He can replace the car but he cannot replace what he put into the car.

Again it is not like he came out said that he hit a child, the child died but he is really upset about his car. Perhaps some of that upset is also the blatant gall of the other human. What she did is like saying, "Yeah, I broke your stuff and I don't even care about you as a person enough to move my car or try to correct my mistake.". Perhaps the mix of car and principles, either way. Think about the pet analogy given earlier. Some folks don't give a shit about a pet. If someone hit your pet and then that non-animal person says, "It's just a cat. Get over it.", how would you feel?

Then to be dismissive, "If a camaro is the most important thing in someone's life". Perhaps they don't have your priorities, your consequences or your situation. Who are you to tell someone their life is in trouble because they have a prized possession that they put their energy into? Perhaps this person doesn't want kids or whatever you may feel is important in your life. Perspectives other than your own. Would you say the same to an artist whose entire life is art and that is what is most important to them? Ever stop to think that the artist is completely happy in their art? So just because you have things YOU consider more important in YOUR life has no bearing on what is important to other people.

See, the whole part of my rant folks are CHOOSING to ignore is the "perspective of others" bit. Sure, you don't see the big deal but this person is NOT you and their perspective is in fact more relevant than yours on the subject because he is DIRECTLY effected. Everyone wants to be treated with respect yet so many have no idea on how to be respectful.

Finally, I wrote no names in my post. So I am obviously speaking in general to anyone saying 'it's just a car' and/or dictating how the author of the OP should feel. If it doesn't apply, let it fly.
I like your last statement....If it doesn't apply, let it fly. I want to use that too if you don't mind. Not minimizing feelings at all. You are correct, when a vehicle that gives you joy and happiness is lost or damaged, you are out time (time you put into it and / or time to repair it) and money (again either in parts you will never recoup or parts for repair). Upset, sure, makes sense. Gonna wait for the culprit with a pool ball in a pillow case...you have got to be kidding. The pet analogy holds no water because a life again has been lost that can not be replaced, opposed to a car that can be, though I agree it may be very difficult to do.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:39 PM   #60
LynxSSavage
The Angry Orc

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey Metallic Camaro SS
The pool ball in a sock is a bit much.

The pet analogy is simply for perspective on one person's feelings about something vs someone else's. I am an animal lover that will stop for a squirrel in the road, I even rev to try to scare a sparrow off the road so it definitely does not reflect my personal feelings about animals/pets.

PS Feel free to use the "If it doesn't apply, let it fly".
Old 11-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #61
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Ok let me rephrase this! For starters I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A PITY PARTY OR ANYONE TO FEEL SORRY FOR ME!!
I'm 30 and by 18 lost both of my parents tragically, lost all of the houses and property in northern California that was left to me, and damn near lost my sanity. My sister decided to become an alcoholic and lost touch with me and reality and then I lost my dog (the only thing that really mattered that I loved at the time).

This was all quite a few years back, I dropped out of college and moved to texas broke and damn near homeless in 2006 at 20 and got a job making 9.50 an hour! Fast forward 9 years and let's say I am very, very, comfortable financially. All of my badass cars are paid for (I have plenty), i have a badass house in an upper middle class neighborhood and I work from home.

I know what struggle and ass busting jobs are but am financially pretty set. My point? All of MY shit is simple material and at the end of the day don't mean shit to me! Quality of life means everything to me, my health and my partners health means everything to me, having someone to call on the phone means everything to me. Having parents to call on the phone, visit with, and ask advice means everything to me!

Some of you guys need to really get a grip on life if a damn ding on your camaro ruins your day lol. If my 60xxx dollar modded ctsv got totalled or stolen I would be angry sure, but it would not be the end of my life because it's material. Hopefully this shed some light on my perspective
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #62
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I simply don't take my Camaro out on the town. Have two other beaters for that. Then again, I don't park in people's grill with my beater either.
Do you still have it in the plastic wrap it came in?
Old 11-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #63
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Thread derailed. OP asked a question about an incident and got something completely off based. Again grab the insurance from that person and get it fixed on there dime, problem solved. Are you mad, more than likely but you also wanted to show responsibility. There you go thread back on topic ENJOY.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #64
LynxSSavage
The Angry Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
but it would not be the end of my life because it's material.
Now... where did you get this idea that this was a life altering anything?

No one said it, typed it or insinuated it and the most extreme post so far was someone saying they would be waiting with a qball in a sock. That is a bit insane, I would sooner hurt their stuff/pockets in return. Quid pro quo.

Now, folks are getting called out for being invalidating jerks. That is obviously a different animal but it still did not have anyone say this was a life altering event. A hit dog will hollar as we see in folks whose names where not mentioned feel the need to come and now defend their invalidation instead of manning up and saying, "Yeah I was kind of invalidating. My bad. Sucks that this person was this kind of jerk."

The facts: His car was hit. The culprit even had the balls to leave the car on his. The culprit then tried to blame it on small parking spots and not her own lack of care, which only makes the anger worse. The author is angry and came here to vent. The author was met with invalidation, a bunch of "what you did wrong was drive your car and park like a normal person should" and jerks telling him how empty his life must be if he is angry about having his property damaged by someone else and because what is important to him is not matching what is important to them.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:43 PM   #65
LynxSSavage
The Angry Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0751 View Post
Thread derailed. OP asked a question about an incident and got something completely off based. Again grab the insurance from that person and get it fixed on there dime, problem solved. Are you mad, more than likely but you also wanted to show responsibility. There you go thread back on topic ENJOY.
The author of the OP did not ask a question in his OP (PS, OP means Opening Post). He made some statements and was obviously venting his frustration while giving us the story of what happened. In fact he did not ask any questions at all in his replies. He even told us that he had already gotten the insurance info etc., therefor many replies were just compounding/validating his action.

Had he asked a question and got this kind of invalidating response I would have been far more vicious. The post was derailed by people being jerks with their, "My life is so full of important things, yours must be empty if this is important enough to make you angry." responses which border on trolling.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #66
todd69gs

Drives: 2014 Crystal Red 1LE 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0751 View Post
How can we thank you enough?
^^^^thread savior
todd69gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #67
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

What I am Saying is if it is a tiny barely noticeable mark (such as he implied) why bother hassling over insurance with even repairing it? Now if we are talking an obvious mark, or obvious damage that is a different animal. I was livid when the lady bumped my barand spanking new 3 week old ss with temp tag and left a hardly noticeable blemish on my rear bumper but shit, again it's a car and it was so minute I just told her to go on and not worry.

Guys, life is way too short to stress over minor blemishes and hardly obvious marks rather on a ferrari or Pinto. Enjoy your rides, enjoy life, and put importance in what really matters. I am not being a dick I'm simply stating things to make us all worry less about the small things.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:29 PM   #68
Steve1LE

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynxSSavage View Post
The author of the OP did not ask a question in his OP (PS, OP means Opening Post). He made some statements and was obviously venting his frustration while giving us the story of what happened. In fact he did not ask any questions at all in his replies. He even told us that he had already gotten the insurance info etc., therefor many replies were just compounding/validating his action.

Had he asked a question and got this kind of invalidating response I would have been far more vicious. The post was derailed by people being jerks with their, "My life is so full of important things, yours must be empty if this is important enough to make you angry." responses which border on trolling.
I disagree. It is trolling. Who goes on a car forum and makes the statement "it's just a car" and not expect an angry mob of car enthusiasts to come and beat him with a cue ball in a sock. OK, I exaggerated a little there but it is trolling.

At least the cue ball in a sock comment was sympathizing with the OP.

Extreme?

Yes, but most of us have had something bad happen to a car or whatever and you say things that you wouldn't actually do. I hope not anyways.

The last thing you want to hear is "it's just a car, get over it".

Makes me wonder if people who post comments like this are no different that the person who would hit your car in a parking lot and take off.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:29 PM   #69
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

What I am Saying is if it is a tiny barely noticeable mark (such as he implied) why bother hassling over insurance with even repairing it? Now if we are talking an obvious mark, or obvious damage that is a different animal. I was livid when the lady bumped my barand spanking new 3 week old ss with temp tag and left a hardly noticeable blemish on my rear bumper but shit, again it's a car and it was so minute I just told her to go on and not worry.

Guys, life is way too short to stress over minor blemishes and hardly obvious marks rather on a ferrari or Pinto. Enjoy your rides, enjoy life, and put importance in what really matters. I am not being a dick I'm simply stating things to make us all worry less about the small things.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #70
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1LE View Post
I disagree. It is trolling. Who goes on a car forum and makes the statement "it's just a car" and not expect an angry mob of car enthusiasts to come and beat him with a cue ball in a sock. OK, I exaggerated a little there but it is trolling.

At least the cue ball in a sock comment was sympathizing with the OP.

Extreme?

Yes, but most of us have had something bad happen to a car or whatever and you say things that you wouldn't actually do. I hope not anyways.

The last thing you want to hear is "it's just a car, get over it".

Makes me wonder if people who post comments like this are no different that the person who would hit your car in a parking lot and take off.
Cars are my passion. They always have been. I can not imagine them not being very, very important to me. But you know what, they are just a freakin car. If it is gone tomorrow, life is very much going to go on. If you want my opinion, the OP had the most realistic approach. He got the insurance and will evaluate if a repair is worth it, because again it is just a freakin car!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote