Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 12-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #1
ss_redrum

Drives: 2013 LS3 Camaro
DIY: Long Tube Header Install

I didn't see a how-to on here for this and I recently spoke with a few other members who said they would like a write up. It took 1 day on jack stands and we took quite a few breaks. I am putting together a video since I filmed most of it and will update this post once I finish it. I installed the Texas Speed 1 7/8 Long Tube Headers that came with all acessories needed. I wrapped my headers with heat wrap 2 2x50 rolls were used. I also did not disconnect the drive shaft. That was not needed as they were a good fit.

1. Spray down O2 Sensors and the bolts on the exhaust manifold with WD-40 the night before
2. Remove all spark plugs and spark plug wires
3. Remove the dipstick
4. Remove the dipstick tube. There is 1 bolt it is attached to the engine block that holds it down. Remove it and pull the dipstick tube out. It will require some force to pull it out. *Take pictures and remember the direction it goes in*
5. Loosen all bolts on the exhaust manifold
6. Disconnect the O2 sensors from their harness on the back of the engine. It is located at the top. It can be unclipped from the harness.
7. Jack the car up on jack stands. Ensure it is high enough to slide the headers in from the bottom.
8. The exhaust manifold is connected to the rest of the exhaust. You will see 2 cats, o2 sensors, and a clamp holding the exhaust manifold to the rest of the exhaust. Take the bolts off the clamp and slide it towards the back of the exhaust. There is a small pin that a tiny lever will have to be pulled over. Slide it down and it will expose the separation between the exhaust manifold and exhaust.
9. Disconnect the post cat o2 sensor from the car. Its another clip that can be detached.
10. Back under the hood remove the exhaust manifold bolts and gasket.
11. Have someone under the car holding it so they will not fall and damage anything.
12. Slide the exhaust manifold out from under the car.
13. Remove the top O2 sensors from the manifold as these will be reused.
14. Clip in the O2 sensor extender to the location behind the engine
15. Screw in the O2 sensor from the exhaust manifold into the header
16. Take the header and slide it in from the bottom.
17. Take the new gasket and line up the holes.
18. Screw in the header bolts but do not tighten them down yet
19. Connect the O2 sensor to the extender
20. Connect your mid pipe or cats with the supplied clamps onto the header
21. Take the clamp that was slid down to the exhaust and join the mid pipe and the rest of the exhaust. Tighten this down to ensure no exhaust leaks
22. Now torque all header bolts to 18 lbs/ft
23. Install the dipstick tube and the dipstick
24. Install all spark plugs and wires. Use anti-seize so you can remove them later. Torque the spark plugs to 11 lbs/ft
25. Ensure everything is bolted down. Lower the car and tune it.
(It can run without a tune but it won’t run right. Be sure to tell your tuner to delete the rear O2 sensors or you’ll get a CEL. I used a remote tuner and my car is running great.)

Last edited by ss_redrum; 12-21-2017 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Added some things
ss_redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #2
imaSSnake
'Maro

Drives: 2015 SS 6.2L Auto 2SS
Thank you for this, and thanks for linking me
Old 02-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
chevyss69

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Good write up
chevyss69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:20 PM   #4
Pete G

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE
Is there a certain pattern to be used for tightening the header bolts like starting in the center and working your way out?
Pete G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:59 AM   #5
SleeperG8GT
Genesis

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Awesome write up

Instagram: SirMannyTheArc

SleeperG8GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #6
ImBrokeAF

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Coupe
can you go into some more detail on the O2 sensor disconnection? They seem to be fastened to the rear of the cylinder head on each side. Do you need to remove the connection from the head to unplug that end? How do you do that? Or, can you unplug the sensor with out unclipping the connector from the head. I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing cause I tend to force things when I get frustrated and this isnt the place to do that LOL
ImBrokeAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:21 PM   #7
SS_CTS-V

Drives: 2015 SS, 2006 CTS-V (wrecked...)
There is a plug in connection for the O2 sensors on the back of the heads. I just did an install about a week ago. These plugs have a retention clip that must be pulled out before you can separate the plug, they are blue plastic and should be fairly easy to see. One the blue clip is removed, you must pry up a little on the tang of the plug, and pull the bottom section down. It's a little frustrating and I highly recommend you do this step before jacking the car up. Makes it much easier to reach back there.
SS_CTS-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:03 PM   #8
wolfencom

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS2RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_CTS-V View Post
There is a plug in connection for the O2 sensors on the back of the heads. I just did an install about a week ago. These plugs have a retention clip that must be pulled out before you can separate the plug, they are blue plastic and should be fairly easy to see. One the blue clip is removed, you must pry up a little on the tang of the plug, and pull the bottom section down. It's a little frustrating and I highly recommend you do this step before jacking the car up. Makes it much easier to reach back there.

On mine there was a green piece of plastic that holds it in place. You need to give it a pretty good tug to get it out, but once it is out you can just pull down on the connector and it will come right off.
wolfencom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:46 PM   #9
Scooter18155

Drives: 2010 ss/rs 6 speed manual
Thank you hope to be doing this later this summer!
2010 camaro ss/rs, standard 6 speed, ls3 motor, bmr subframe connectors, jba 3” competition Exhaust, stainless works 1 7/8" headers, adm cold air intake, hurst short throw shifter, bo white ported tb, mishimoto aluminum radiator, mishimoto oil cooler.
Scooter18155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:44 PM   #10
ImBrokeAF

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Coupe
I did my header install today and used this post as a reference. Thank you for the help. A couple of things I would add based on my install. I installed Stainless Works headers and had to modify the mounting arm of the dipstick tube. The header flange was thicker than the stock manifold and that would not allow the holes to align. Just a little material removal with a grinder and it fit. Secondly, I had to remove the ground cable from the passenger side. Again, the header flanges are thicker and I could not get the flange to set agains the head with out removing the ground. Once the header was installed, the ground strap installed over the flange just fine.
ImBrokeAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:54 PM   #11
Alfdawg

Drives: 2014 camaro ss
Do i reuse the factory manifold bolts or the new ones that came with the kooks headers?
Alfdawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headers, long tube headers, texas speed & performance, texas speed headers