Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #1
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Another QTP Cutout Motor lost to the heat of passion

This makes number 4 or 5. I’ve written good reviews on here (still one of my favorite mods ever!) and my first motors lasted four years
...but then I got headers and high flow cats...and now I’m certain the higher temperatures are screwing up the gears in the motors.

The upside is QTP is honoring each and every motor warranty! Those guys are awesome to work with. The downside is I don’t see a solution in the near future.
(The other upside is, the motors are super easy and quick to change but it’s getting kind of old )

I’ve tried heat shielding, lowered my play time with them....hell, it’s a garage queen!

I don’t know what to do...I’m truly out of ideas.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
ARrado15

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Hmm, I was considering going with QTP, but I hear that with the high-flow cats and headers that the motors burn out really quick. How long roughly are you getting on these motors before they are shot? Might just be going with the noweeds one day!
Old 11-16-2017, 09:13 PM   #3
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrado15 View Post
Hmm, I was considering going with QTP, but I hear that with the high-flow cats and headers that the motors burn out really quick. How long roughly are you getting on these motors before they are shot? Might just be going with the noweeds one day!
It varies with each motor and if you’re FI which is more heat. I was considering noweeds but then I saw the video where they caused such a rumble they activated the side air bags!

There’s GOT to be a solution. All this technology and we can’t keep a couple of motors from burning out or create a way to open and close cutouts next to high temperatures? Where’s all of our engineers!
Old 11-16-2017, 09:25 PM   #4
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
It varies with each motor and if you’re FI which is more heat. I was considering noweeds but then I saw the video where they caused such a rumble they activated the side air bags!

There’s GOT to be a solution. All this technology and we can’t keep a couple of motors from burning out or create a way to open and close cutouts next to high temperatures? Where’s all of our engineers!
If you're referring to GuitarmageddonZL1, yours wont do the same. He is gutted with no sound deadening, that is why his blew haha. He made a video after that explaining what all contributed to that happening, the normal camaro owner is fine lol
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:44 PM   #5
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
If you're referring to GuitarmageddonZL1, yours wont do the same. He is gutted with no sound deadening, that is why his blew haha. He made a video after that explaining what all contributed to that happening, the normal camaro owner is fine lol
You have that? I’d like to watch it, cause I’m not even sure what was “gutted”. I remember he also had the windows down.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:59 PM   #6
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
You have that? I’d like to watch it, cause I’m not even sure what was “gutted”. I remember he also had the windows down.

He literally had nothing in the inside of his car. No carpet in the back, no rear seats, no sound deadening, nothing at all. I️ have noweeds and my car is pretty loud, and I doubt I’ve ever gotten close to the airbags going off
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:08 PM   #7
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyGreenSS View Post
He literally had nothing in the inside of his car. No carpet in the back, no rear seats, no sound deadening, nothing at all. I️ have noweeds and my car is pretty loud, and I doubt I’ve ever gotten close to the airbags going off
Looks like no weeds it is then.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #8
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
Any noweeds Black Friday deals....?
Current mods: Stainless Power Long Tube Headers,Cat Delete,CAI Cold Air Intake,Vitesse throttle controller, Muffler/Resonator Delete w/dual tips. ADM Performance Tuned,BMR 1.25 lowering springs,R1 Concept Slotted/Dimpled Rotors.
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:37 PM   #9
ARrado15

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Ive been looking for a black friday deal for this. I really hope they come out with a deal!
Old 12-16-2017, 08:03 PM   #10
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Another motor gone. I’m so done with these. I thought I could hang in there with the occasional motor change, but it’s gotten ridiculous and the cutouts are not closing at the most inconvenient times.

QTP, understandably, won’t keep replacing the motors anyway, and I’m tired of changing them....

I still recommend them as a great product, but I must move on to a better product. Sorry guys.

:(.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:23 AM   #11
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
you should have done mechanical not electric...IMO .....
Old 12-17-2017, 07:26 AM   #12
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
you should have done mechanical not electric...IMO .....

Do you mean manual?
Old 12-17-2017, 08:56 AM   #13
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Another motor gone. I’m so done with these. I thought I could hang in there with the occasional motor change, but it’s gotten ridiculous and the cutouts are not closing at the most inconvenient times.

QTP, understandably, won’t keep replacing the motors anyway, and I’m tired of changing them....

I still recommend them as a great product, but I must move on to a better product. Sorry guys.

:(.
Could try relocating them to the rear of the car next to the mufflers like this guy did

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=qtp+profile
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #14
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Could try relocating them to the rear of the car next to the mufflers like this guy did

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=qtp+profile
To much trouble. With noweeds there’s no welding and I won’t have the motor problem because they’re farther away from the heat source. Besides, that’s not the sound I want.