Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #57
skongolf

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Black Vert
So I bought a new header panel last year and got it put on at an auto upholstery shop and it was great..... Until today. Hit a bump getting on the highway and now it is loose and rattling again. WTF? Is there anyway to not have this thing break? I know the part is cheap but it is annoying to keep having to fix it. The weird thing is it rattled like crazy, then all of the sudden stopped, but I know it is broken because it is very loose all the way over from the middle to the passenger side.
skongolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:48 PM   #58
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by skongolf View Post
So I bought a new header panel last year and got it put on at an auto upholstery shop and it was great..... Until today. Hit a bump getting on the highway and now it is loose and rattling again. WTF? Is there anyway to not have this thing break? I know the part is cheap but it is annoying to keep having to fix it. The weird thing is it rattled like crazy, then all of the sudden stopped, but I know it is broken because it is very loose all the way over from the middle to the passenger side.
Before I sold mine I thought about cutting off the bosses that usually break and put aluminum rivet nuts in their place. It might not look as good but I think it might last longer.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:31 PM   #59
skongolf

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Black Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Before I sold mine I thought about cutting off the bosses that usually break and put aluminum rivet nuts in their place. It might not look as good but I think it might last longer.
How would you attach the rivet nuts to the panel? Sounds like a good idea.
skongolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #60
Clus2015

Drives: 2015 concertible Camaro 2SS
Rattle in my right corner of convertible

I would like to know how many people have a rattle in their header that goes across the convertible top on the inside. I called corporate after they wanted to charge me $289 to fix a part I can buy online for $29 but the car is a 2015. The bumper to bumper warranty has expired and my extended warranty doesn't cover it. I found out from my service department that they're having a lot of problems with their convertibles. so I'm trying to get a count of exactly how many people are having problems with them. The things corporate said to me was bullcrap . First they said that they didn't know if the convertible had been misused which I don't understand how you can miss use a convertible you just press a button it goes up and down. Then she said if it was used a lot. Wasn't that the point of buying a convertible as to use it a lot and if the parts can't even last 3 years what is that saying about the Chevy and corporate. Then they told me that I was the one who chose to buy the product.
If anybody out there can help me I'd appreciate it. t
Thank you,
Cindi.
Clus2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:00 PM   #61
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Good luck. GM customer service is the absolute worst I have ever dealt with.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:41 PM   #62
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clus2015 View Post
I would like to know how many people have a rattle in their header that goes across the convertible top on the inside. I called corporate after they wanted to charge me $289 to fix a part I can buy online for $29 but the car is a 2015. The bumper to bumper warranty has expired and my extended warranty doesn't cover it. I found out from my service department that they're having a lot of problems with their convertibles. so I'm trying to get a count of exactly how many people are having problems with them. The things corporate said to me was bullcrap . First they said that they didn't know if the convertible had been misused which I don't understand how you can miss use a convertible you just press a button it goes up and down. Then she said if it was used a lot. Wasn't that the point of buying a convertible as to use it a lot and if the parts can't even last 3 years what is that saying about the Chevy and corporate. Then they told me that I was the one who chose to buy the product.
Thank you,
Cindi.
I realize it doesn't help, but the two top shops in my area experienced with the 5th generation Camaro, stated it's the worst design they've seen. A third shop, that does high end & custom work, said that after doing one replacement, they won't do it again.
I wish that I would've known before purchasing mine. I love the convertible, but would've bought a hardtop.
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #63
NoSloSS
BUMBLWHO

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Interesting to see others having the same problem. I haven't addressed it yet, but was planning on reinforcing the parts with epoxy or something like JB Weld.I would expect it was a torque issue that wasn't addressed during the design process.
NoSloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #64
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clus2015 View Post
Thank you,
Cindi.
It's a known issue. The screw bosses in the header panel break, it's an easy repair with a new panel. I had mine fixed under warranty, took them about 2 hours if that. They are blowing smoke up your butt.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:12 PM   #65
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by skongolf View Post
How would you attach the rivet nuts to the panel? Sounds like a good idea.
I was thinking of drilling out the bosses on the header and using the rivet nut tool to install rivet nuts in the header, then just install it like the origional, you will see the rivet nut heads inside the car but you can paint them to make them less visible.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:16 PM   #66
uvraise

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS Convertible
Broken Bosses

I'll be replacing mine tomorrow! Not sure yet, but I think all but one is broken. This may seem like a dumb question, but has anyone checked the length of the bolts as opposed to the depth of the boss? I'm just thinking that the screws may bottom out on the part too tightly, causing stress to the inserts. I'll know better tomorrow, but this part literally has zero stress once installed, so that's why I'm thinking it's the length of the bolts being too long. Thoughts?

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
uvraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:40 PM   #67
RVATopDown

Drives: 2SS Blk Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by theragtopguy View Post
It's a known issue. The screw bosses in the header panel break, it's an easy repair with a new panel. I had mine fixed under warranty, took them about 2 hours if that. They are blowing smoke up your butt.
Similar experience as theragtopguy - purchased my '14 with 1200 miles, by the time I had 10K (2yrs later), it had severe rattles on the passenger side. Took it to the dealer (with this post in hand) and had the header replaced under warranty as a known issue. I'm thinking you could do the same taking this post to your dealer to get your's replaced. I realize its dealer discretion, but you never know....
RVATopDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:50 PM   #68
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVATopDown View Post
Similar experience as theragtopguy - purchased my '14 with 1200 miles, by the time I had 10K (2yrs later), it had severe rattles on the passenger side. Took it to the dealer (with this post in hand) and had the header replaced under warranty as a known issue. I'm thinking you could do the same taking this post to your dealer to get your's replaced. I realize its dealer discretion, but you never know....
How far was it out of warranty?
Old 06-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #69
ARCTIC

Drives: 2017 1SS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Sorry I never got back to taking pictures before I traded my car in for a 17 convertible.
What did you end up doing? Just selling the car or did you upgrade for a new toy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragtopguy View Post
Yeah. If a crippled guy who has never replaced one can do it in a half hour... That's crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
I realize it doesn't help, but the two top shops in my area experienced with the 5th generation Camaro, stated it's the worst design they've seen. A third shop, that does high end & custom work, said that after doing one replacement, they won't do it again.
I wish that I would've known before purchasing mine. I love the convertible, but would've bought a hardtop.
That's crazy talk to me. The header panel can be dealt with. Hardtops are so damn boring. Unless you plan to run it on a road course track, what's the point
Old 06-27-2018, 03:20 PM   #70
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
That's crazy talk to me. The header panel can be dealt with. Hardtops are so damn boring. Unless you plan to run it on a road course track, what's the point
I'm not simply referring to the header panel, but to the multiple issues I've had with the top.