Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
DIY - Removing Old Window Tint (Stock Dealership Tint)

Well this is my first DIY thought i would share this, i decided today to go get new tint that was not cheap looking that had NO bubbles and was dark like i wanted it it ^_^.

I will explain briefly and will show some pictures, but this DIY is quite simple so not much will be needed unless asked upon.

Removing Tint can be a hassle but with the right tools it will just take patience. (Heat Gun Not Required)

1. Removing Old tint you will need

A. Razor Blade, Window Blades , Scraping Tool etc , Towels , Goo begone or anything that removes goop, socket wrench, Torx Bits , a small screw driver , lots of space , window cleaner like from armor-all and such , Towel for messes , hair dryer or Heat Gun if needed.

2. Using a razor or your finger nail peal back the corner of the tint starting from top to bottom slowly peal and heat if you want. You will have this left, and then completely off.

3. Whats left is the residue on the glass or glue from the window tint.

I did both sides drivers and passengers.

How too take off door panels can be found here

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65282&highlight=door+panel+remova l

When you have the window with the residue use goo begone and a sponge's green side too scrub it all off, get in the cracks and crevices of the window where it goes down into the door, and scrub it all off, (Will Not Damage Window)

This is what i have after few hours of work with breaks in between because it was hot and sweaty!

In the last picture those are not cracks or anything, its things on the ping pong table.

If something is unclear or you need help, feel free to ask.

This is quite simple! Anyone can do it!.

Last edited by Hellfighter; 08-15-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Hellfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
Li0nel1234
What should I name my car

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via AIM to Li0nel1234
Are you going to have it retinted or you just wanted the no tint look?
Performance: ARH 2"/"3 headers + ARH 3" HF catback system, SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, motul RBF 600 fluid, K&N CAI (w/custom insulation), plug wires, air scoop, Hurst STS, Pedders Track II suspension, 18x10 wheels, 295/45/18 Nitto NT05s
Looks: powder coated iom calipers, LED foglights w/ always on harness, custom painted bowties, window tint, smoke tinted tail lights etc, oem gfx w/ custom outlets, painted taillight bezels, all weather trunk mat
Li0nel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Cleaning the goo off after taking off the tint is a PITA. I had to take off the tint on my driver side window because my dad rolled the window down before it fully dried and it got f'd up. I used a razor blade and GooGone but its just a pain.
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li0nel1234 View Post
Are you going to have it retinted or you just wanted the no tint look?
I have new tint yes, i will take pics, 35% Front 2 windows, everything else limo tinted , no tint on front windshield.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post
Cleaning the goo off after taking off the tint is a PITA. I had to take off the tint on my driver side window because my dad rolled the window down before it fully dried and it got f'd up. I used a razor blade and GooGone but its just a pain.

It is, but if you love a car as much i love mine you will put yourself through the sweaty hours of work
Old 08-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
JasonK

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Steamer works might want to google it.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Hellfighter

Wink

\
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonK View Post
Steamer works might want to google it.

Im not going to waste money to go buy a 1 time use item when i have house tools laying around and use stuff i can just buy for 3 bucks if i run out.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Peter

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Just and FYI for future people doing this, from a person that tints for a living, only thing I would do different is the GooGone it takes way to much time to do that it mainly just smears the glue around and is a PITA. What I would do is get you a nice flat razor blade and glass cleaner, soak down the window with glass cleaner and use the razor blade and scrape the window at about a 45 degree angle takes about 10 minutes to do an entire window that way. But other then that good job on the write up.

#280 MASTER MECP Certified
MECP - Sales, Basic and Advance Certified
ASE - 6 electrical certified
10+ years car audio installation, sales and manager
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
DraggnFrameGMC

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Just and FYI for future people doing this, from a person that tints for a living, only thing I would do different is the GooGone it takes way to much time to do that it mainly just smears the glue around and is a PITA. What I would do is get you a nice flat razor blade and glass cleaner, soak down the window with glass cleaner and use the razor blade and scrape the window at about a 45 degree angle takes about 10 minutes to do an entire window that way. But other then that good job on the write up.
Yup, exactly as peter said, just keep the window wet and it wont scratch the glass at a 45 degree angle. 10 mins per window. And the comment on the steamer, it does work very well also. Best advice if you want a one time use, go buy it at walmart, use it and then take it back. Walmart will return anything.
DraggnFrameGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
"Wrong" my friend it did not smear at all, razor blade i used as you can see in pictures... and a sponger was not that much PITA, but the 10 min thing is complete BS lol. I went to a professional window tinter he did nearly same thing when removing the rear windshield tint since i didn't wanna harm the defoggers.