Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #29
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
For the cheap price of the bolt, it would be a good idea to replace it.

Since the balancers aren't keyed to the crank, there is a very real potential for the bolt to come loose if not properly torqued. Use red Loctite on the threads when you go back in.
You're saying that turning it 140 degrees with an impact wrench is somehow substandard to turning it 140 degrees with elbow power?
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #30
04GOAT-11SS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 2004 GTO
I hit mine in with an impact too after not being able to get it near 140*. It's been fine but I did purchase an ARP bolt and the tool to lock the flywheel. Haven't got around to installing it yet though.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:54 AM   #31
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
You're saying that turning it 140 degrees with an impact wrench is somehow substandard to turning it 140 degrees with elbow power?
Only thing I can fathom is the harsh ratcheting of the impact could crack or damage the bolt compared to a hand tightening. I doubt it makes a difference though. Need a metallurgist. lol.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #32
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Of course it is. When you take a hammer to metal, what happens? The factory bolts are torque to yield. An impact disproportionately stretches them. That can result in it coming loose, or breaking at some point. Good luck with that. You can rattle them off if you want to, but always install them by hand. ARP bolts are a different story.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #33
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Got mine to 140 with a 4 foot snipe and the help of a 215 pound hockey player.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #34
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Of course it is. When you take a hammer to metal, what happens? The factory bolts are torque to yield. An impact disproportionately stretches them. That can result in it coming loose, or breaking at some point. Good luck with that. You can rattle them off if you want to, but always install them by hand. ARP bolts are a different story.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Mine's been running for several years and thousands of miles done with an impact wrench. I think I'll continue to take my chances. Maybe I'm just lucky
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #35
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Shit, I'd be worried the bolt would snap off trying to get the 140* versus "as tight as I can get it" and if it does, you'd be replacing a crank and a fender for sure. I wouldn't lose any sleep over a pinned crank and as tight as hell!
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #36
EliteCZM523

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Don't use Impact guns to tighten the Crank Bolt.....Take a peek at the mating surface of the Crank Bolt - See that red stuff there? Now look at a used version of same bolt - notice the difference? Using a Impact Gun will not allow that mating surface to do what its designed to do. Not to mention that you can jack up those crank threads. Also, get the Flywheel locking tool and use a 4-5' Pipe to give you more leverage.
ARH 1 7/8 w/ cats, Borla ATAK Axle Back, VaraRam, ECS Cam, JDP Halo Kit, Technostalgia Tail Lights, AAC Ghosted SMD Side Markers, Reverse Lights, P13W Plasma DRL's, DRL Harness, Kenwood 9990HD, Scosche Kit, and tons more
EliteCZM523 is offline   Reply With Quote