Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-12-2010, 02:58 AM   #1
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
Need help! Choosing between a 2LT and a 2SS

I am a 19 year old guy who is looking at purchasing my very first car without any of his parents assistance. I've been working very very hard and I still have a little more to go before I get to place my epic order at a dealership. Without a doubt I am sold on the Camaro. It is my type of car. The only problem I am having is choosing between a 2LT and a 2SS. I already know what options I want to add on and which color to pick... I just need to figure out which would be a better overall deal for me. Any assistance would be great. I would really appreciate it if I could get some positives and negatives about getting one or the other. I already know what my insurance will cost me... Therefore I'm not worried about that or the price of gas.. Personally I'd like to know if the 2SS (with the sexier front bumper, SS seats, breaks, and tires(am I leaving out anything?!?!)) would be worth the extra money compared to the 2LT.
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:08 AM   #2
jackka

Drives: 2011 Black/Black 2LT/RS M6 w/Sroof
It really depends on where you place your priorities.

For me, the SS front bumper, seats, brakes, and 114 extra HP was not worth the cost of

5 grand extra price, higher insurance, and higher gas price.

I absolutely love using my V6 as a daily driver filling it up with regular unleaded and getting 27mpg while still having 312HP and listening to all my friends saying how nice it looks.

But for some people(probably a lot of people on this site), 114 extra HP and the "SS badge" is worth way more than 5+ grand.

Oh, by the way, grats on getting the most awesome car on the planet at 19!
Make sure you do not get ripped off at a dealership(do not pay a cent over the 310 price on the invoice sheet of the car). Ask to see the invoice printout for the car when taking delivery.
jackka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
InvaderMoose

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
the 2SS is worth every. last. penny.

If you get the v6, once the novelty wears off, youll regret not waiting a bit longer and going for the 2SS.

It's a muscle car(pony car, whatever), you need the v8!

Engine/Appearance: 530 RWHP
Whipple supercharger, Full JBA Exhaust, Ported TB, Cold Air Inductions & ADM Scoop /Complete new paint, 20" Forgestar F14s, Sinister hood, SLP Spoiler, AAC Halos, P13W Fogs
InvaderMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:12 AM   #4
whamslam3
Camaro King [^*^*^]

Drives: Apollo 11 Camaro IOM
will if you can safely afford an ss and want a v8 then go for it. the worst thing you can do is get caught up with money early on in life.
if you are at all worried about money or want better gas mileage get the v6.
either way they are both awesome cars. you will be happy no mater which one you decide to pick.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:12 AM   #5
Dubai_SS
Saood UC

Drives: Camaro SS
2ss indeed!
Old 08-12-2010, 03:12 AM   #6
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

I appreciate your input! I'll be honest.. The one thing that has me holding onto wanting the SS is the front bumper.. For the longest time I didn't realize there was a difference... A couple weeks ago I came back to reality and finally saw the difference and it really made me want a SS.. I know it sounds really silly to pay an extra 5 grand for just wanting the bumper, but I have a crazy thing about me when it comes to detail. That front bumper on the SS is so sexy!
Old 08-12-2010, 03:13 AM   #7
raqball

Drives: 2010 Camaro
If you are not going to race it (at a track) then the V6 has more power than anyone will ever need for regular driving...

Plus at your age, consider the insurance costs.... Night and day for a V6 and a V8... I would not waste the money on an SS but I use the Camaro for my daily driver and have no intensions of racing it at a track...
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:15 AM   #8
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Unique4U View Post
I am a 19 year old guy who is looking at purchasing my very first car without any of his parents assistance. I've been working very very hard and I still have a little more to go before I get to place my epic order at a dealership. Without a doubt I am sold on the Camaro. It is my type of car. The only problem I am having is choosing between a 2LT and a 2SS. I already know what options I want to add on and which color to pick... I just need to figure out which would be a better overall deal for me. Any assistance would be great. I would really appreciate it if I could get some positives and negatives about getting one or the other. I already know what my insurance will cost me... Therefore I'm not worried about that or the price of gas.. Personally I'd like to know if the 2SS (with the sexier front bumper, SS seats, breaks, and tires(am I leaving out anything?!?!)) would be worth the extra money compared to the 2LT.
if you can afford it, get the 2SS. there is no other option, if you can afford it.
KeepItGreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:18 AM   #9
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

That's true. I have been lucky on the road so far. I have not hit anyone yet.. Nor do I plan to. I have StateFarm and my insurance agent told me there is only a $100 difference between the V6 and the V8. Not as bad as I thought it would be.. As we all know.. Everything does add up eventually! I'm not worried about money at this time.. I have a great job at Apple and I plan on keeping this car well past College bc it will be something special to me.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:19 AM   #10
jackka

Drives: 2011 Black/Black 2LT/RS M6 w/Sroof
Quote:
I appreciate your input! I'll be honest.. The one thing that has me holding onto wanting the SS is the front bumper.. For the longest time I didn't realize there was a difference... A couple weeks ago I came back to reality and finally saw the difference and it really made me want a SS.. I know it sounds really silly to pay an extra 5 grand for just wanting the bumper, but I have a crazy thing about me when it comes to detail. That front bumper on the SS is so sexy!
If the bumper is really the only thing that is gonna push you over to getting an SS, just get a 2LT and the SS front bumpers with the badge changed back to RS. It would literally save you 4 grand, about $4 at the pump every time you fill up, which is also less often than the SS, plus the insurance difference for the life of the car.

If I ever get my front bumpers damaged, that's exactly what I'm gonna do. Change it out to a SS front bumper and put the RS badge on it.
jackka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:24 AM   #11
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

I am new to car modifications. I know gadgets, but I'm getting into cars as it comes to me day by day.. Is it really possible to replace a 2LT's front bumper and replace it with a SS bumper? If that's possible you have me sold on a 2LT. I really like how the fog lights are spread to the side and how the edges of the SS bumper are sexy on the SS. If I can do the same to a V6.. That would be a EPIC WIN!
Old 08-12-2010, 03:45 AM   #12
raqball

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
I am new to car modifications. I know gadgets, but I'm getting into cars as it comes to me day by day.. Is it really possible to replace a 2LT's front bumper and replace it with a SS bumper? If that's possible you have me sold on a 2LT. I really like how the fog lights are spread to the side and how the edges of the SS bumper are sexy on the SS. If I can do the same to a V6.. That would be a EPIC WIN!
Yes it's that easy.... Personally, I don't like the look of the mail slot...
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:54 AM   #13
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
the only proper use of the word "epic" in modern conversation is when you're talking about this killer song by a band called Faith No More. other than that, it should be wiped from your vocabulary.

just plain and simple, if you buy the v6 - you'll always wonder what it would have been like to have the v8, and you'll be kicking yourself. you'll never hear the end of it from everyone you talk to. 300hp is nothing to sneeze at, but when 400hp is available stock, why not take it?

when people at the gas station ask me how i could afford the v8, i just tell them that this 400hp engine gets twice the mileage the 200hp v8 in my previous vehicle got. hmmmmm... faster... more hp... and more efficient? i didn't have to think twice about it.
KeepItGreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:02 AM   #14
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
If you are not going to race it (at a track) then the V6 has more power than anyone will ever need for regular driving...

Plus at your age, consider the insurance costs.... Night and day for a V6 and a V8... I would not waste the money on an SS but I use the Camaro for my daily driver and have no intensions of racing it at a track...
If all you want is the SS bumper you can order it through the dealer and they will paint and install it. The bumper is like 350 and paint and install wouldn't be much more. A lot less than 5k plus cost of owning. Multiple members have done this.
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote