Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
Uncle Harvey

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
Detailing Your New Camaro

I just finished the detailing my car for the first time. All of the cars that I had prior to this one were simple. I drove them to the car wash and let someone else handle the work. This car is special. I want it to look sharp.

Once I found this website. I started watching the Junkman videos and learned that I knew nothing about the maintaining the cosmetics on a car. I watched these videos several times and then ordered a bunch of the Adams products.

Today I detailed the car for the first time. I had washed it 4 times prior to today and it already had several swirl marks in it. I worked on this job from 9 am until 11:00 pm. I never even had time to do the interior. Now it looks like a show car. I can not believe how good it turned out.

Here are the steps that I took. I hope that Junkman, Dylan and others will chime in. I varied the routine a little because the car is new and I ran out of detail spray. I wonder if they would approve of the changes that I made to the routine. I also wonder how others think you should detail a new car.
  1. Wash car with Adams car Shampoo, using two bucket, grit guard method.
  2. With car still wet. I clayed the car. ( I needed more than one bottle of detail spray. I mixed up a some car shampoo with water to use as a lubricant for a small portion of the bottom of the car. This seemed to work fine. I rinsed this as I finished an area)
  3. I rewashed the car.
  4. I used the Junkman's slowcut procedure to polish the car. However, I used the fine machine polish. I did not use any of the swirl and haze remover. My thinking was that this car is nearly new and that it was better to take a less aggressive approach. Since I had ran out of Adams detail spray, I used some other brand. It seemed to work fine. I wiped the car down as I finished each area of the car.
  5. I used Adams machine superwax and the PC to wax the car. I waxed the whole car and then started removing the wax at the section of the car that I waxed first.
  6. I used a very bright light to inspect the whole car. The car looked fantastic.

Observation:

The Adams products worked very well.

I wish the names of the Adams products was more descriptive. It is hard to tell which polish is the most aggressive based on the names. Swirl and Haze remover is more aggressive than the fine machine polish. However, there is a Junkman video that says just the opposite. Junkman cleared this up in a latter video. If this confused the Junkman, it has likely confused others.

The PC got easier to use the longer I used it.

Buy Detail Spray by the gallon. You need a lot of it.

This is a two day job.

Junkman is a cool cat.
Attached Images

Uncle Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
zirotti

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Wow. Looks fantastic. I really wish I had a garage and a driveway for this :( Ugh to urban living...
zirotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
SWeet! I'm doing my this weekend! Takes so long LOL. I'm on polishing and waxing tomorow!
Old 10-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Looks great! No shame in using diluted shampoo as a clay lube. I've done it in a pinch. I prefer the detail spray though. I actually use a 6:1 ratio of water:shampoo for my boars hair brush while cleaning the wheels. Keeps the surface well lubricated for brake dust removal.

It appears you did everything everything exactly as I would have done it. My camaro has never seen SHR (except on a small area I had to get a scratch out). FMP+White pad is all I have ever full on polished with, no need for SHR. Order up some Americana - it never disappoints and competes with waxes that are sub $200.

Overall - great work!
Old 10-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Awesome job. Let's see some more pics! I agree with 2LTRS, when you step up to the Americana, you will be blown away!
Old 10-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Uncle Harvey

Can you use the Americana over the superwax?
Old 10-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Absolutely - its actually recommended to lay down a coat of Machine Super Wax (polymer sealant), and top with a coat of Americana (carnauba). The results after this combo are simply amazing!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
Uncle Harvey

I will order some Americana tonight. That is a fine looking 2LTRS. Here are a few pictures of mine after detailing.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #9
CamaroDreams07

Great pics.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:44 PM   #10
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Nice ride! That thing came out great!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:12 AM   #11
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
I did detail work as well this weekend. I still have a few panels to do but overall, I'm very happy with the results from what I've done so far. I have a black car so light swirls and scratches stick out like a sore thumb. Therefore, I had to use the swirl and haze remover in a few areas.

I stripped the panels I worked on by washing with Dawn (2 bucket method). I didn't bother drying after rinsing since I was going to claybar anyhow. I had some Zaino detail spray left over so I used that. I then rewashed with the Dawn after claybar and then dried using Adam's huge drying towel (drape over panel and pull across... then pad dry). I used Adam's SHR with the yellow focus pad and the PC to get the swirlies out and buffed out using an Adam's microfiber towel. I followed that up with Adam's Fine Machine Polish (FMP) with the white pad and the PC, buffing out with a different Adam's MF towel. Lastly, I used Adam's Machine Super Wax (MSW) with the black pad and the PC. I let it cure for about an hour and then buffed it out with an Adam's MF towel and some spritzes of Adam's Detail Spray. It looks amazing. Sorry, no pics today. I still have a few sections to do but, once I get those done I'll post up. This was my first time using the full array of Adam's products and I've got to say, once you use the Porter Cable (PC), you never go back to hand polishing. I'm an Adam's convert from Zaino.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #12
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post
I did detail work as well this weekend. I still have a few panels to do but overall, I'm very happy with the results from what I've done so far. I have a black car so light swirls and scratches stick out like a sore thumb. Therefore, I had to use the swirl and haze remover in a few areas.

I stripped the panels I worked on by washing with Dawn (2 bucket method). I didn't bother drying after rinsing since I was going to claybar anyhow. I had some Zaino detail spray left over so I used that. I then rewashed with the Dawn after claybar and then dried using Adam's huge drying towel (drape over panel and pull across... then pad dry). I used Adam's SHR with the yellow focus pad and the PC to get the swirlies out and buffed out using an Adam's microfiber towel. I followed that up with Adam's Fine Machine Polish (FMP) with the white pad and the PC, buffing out with a different Adam's MF towel. Lastly, I used Adam's Machine Super Wax (MSW) with the black pad and the PC. I let it cure for about an hour and then buffed it out with an Adam's MF towel and some spritzes of Adam's Detail Spray. It looks amazing. Sorry, no pics today. I still have a few sections to do but, once I get those done I'll post up. This was my first time using the full array of Adam's products and I've got to say, once you use the Porter Cable (PC), you never go back to hand polishing. I'm an Adam's convert from Zaino.
Yikes, you went yellow pad on a brand new Camaro? Very aggressive for a brand new car.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
Camaro007

Drives: 2SS/RS Black
I've tried this process just to polish my car with no aggressive pad and little aggressive product, then wax. Good results for a quick shine. I used a gray pad with this product.

Menzerna Polish-PO85RD Cut=1 Gloss=5
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
Uncle Harvey

Camaro007,
That car looks fantastic. Everycar that I have ever owned has been black expcept this one. I guess i lost my mind and went with orange. If I win the lottery, I will by a black one so I have a pair.