Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #1
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Backup Camera

From those who have actually done it, what’s the best integrated, best functioning and easiest to install backup camera? I’d like one that has a stock look instead of looking tacked on. I have a PAC kit with a Pioneer HU.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:05 PM   #2
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
I'd like to know as well as i'm installing a pioneer now. I saw some that bolt to the top of the license plate but i don't really want that as then i wouldn't be able to use my tinted plate cover.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
Thunderstick

Drives: 14 Camaro LS
I have the Pioneer back up camera with a Pioneer deck and it works great. I installed it in between the license plate lights. There is a black cover the pops out that you can modify to make the camera as recessed as you want. I have it flush mounted and you can't tell it's not factory.

Also there are replacement license plate light brackets for sale with a camera in them already

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thunderstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:38 PM   #4
Cheap Guy

I really don’t like the license plate ones. They look too Walmart-ish to me.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Old 04-24-2020, 05:27 AM   #5
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstick View Post
I have the Pioneer back up camera with a Pioneer deck and it works great. I installed it in between the license plate lights. There is a black cover the pops out that you can modify to make the camera as recessed as you want. I have it flush mounted and you can't tell it's not factory.

Also there are replacement license plate light brackets for sale with a camera in them already

Do you have ssdbut links to these cameras?
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:50 AM   #6
Thunderstick

Drives: 14 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
Do you have ssdbut links to these cameras?
https://www.newegg.com/p/050-003E-00023

And i found this one during my search

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D92B3MX..._r5UOEbJWAKRN9

Thunderstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:05 AM   #7
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
I've been pleased with my Airysee AS-209B. It's small enough to not be noticeable.

The one that replaces the tag light looks interesting though.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:34 PM   #8
Cheap Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
I've been pleased with my Airysee AS-209B. It's small enough to not be noticeable.

The one that replaces the tag light looks interesting though.
Thanks! I ordered the one you mentioned. It seems to be the most stock looking and the price was right. But I just checked my car and the blank where the stock camera would mount is gone so I’ll have to figure it out.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:24 PM   #9
Cheap Guy

Done with Backup Camera

Finished installing my reverse (backup) camera. Initially ran into a silly issue - couldn’t probe the wires to double check the proper wires because the car has to be running and in reverse for the current to run. Did some searching and realized the backup lights come on for a few minutes on shutdown.

I decided to install it like the Five Star Car Audio tutorial. That means wiring it directly to the head unit instead of taping the wires at the back. That way the camera will come on even when not in reverse. Not sure why that would be an important option but figured what the hell, if Dean and Fernando say that’s the best way, do it.

Install was pretty much straightforward. The only real issue was whether to run the reverse trigger wire from the rear or tap in closer the front. It was easy to find the light green wire but I decided to still run it from the back along with the video wire. I like to run my wires along the passenger side because it’s easier to run it under the dash. No need to remove the bumper since you can snake it through easily.

I finally decided on the camera that’s integrated with the license plate light. That way there’s no drilling and it’s easy to remove if I need to remove the plate. I think it has a stock look too. It’s a lot more expensive than the other cameras but the quality was good so it was worth it.

I thought it was a gimmick but it really does help, especially when backing into the garage. I still don’t understand the importance of being able to use the camera even when not backing up but it does work as advertised.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2021, 05:21 PM   #10
chuckit

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 1SS, L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
Finished installing my reverse (backup) camera. Initially ran into a silly issue - couldn’t probe the wires to double check the proper wires because the car has to be running and in reverse for the current to run. Did some searching and realized the backup lights come on for a few minutes on shutdown.

I decided to install it like the Five Star Car Audio tutorial. That means wiring it directly to the head unit instead of taping the wires at the back. That way the camera will come on even when not in reverse. Not sure why that would be an important option but figured what the hell, if Dean and Fernando say that’s the best way, do it.

Install was pretty much straightforward. The only real issue was whether to run the reverse trigger wire from the rear or tap in closer the front. It was easy to find the light green wire but I decided to still run it from the back along with the video wire. I like to run my wires along the passenger side because it’s easier to run it under the dash. No need to remove the bumper since you can snake it through easily.

I finally decided on the camera that’s integrated with the license plate light. That way there’s no drilling and it’s easy to remove if I need to remove the plate. I think it has a stock look too. It’s a lot more expensive than the other cameras but the quality was good so it was worth it.

I thought it was a gimmick but it really does help, especially when backing into the garage. I still don’t understand the importance of being able to use the camera even when not backing up but it does work as advertised.
How did you get your wires into the vehicle? I can't seem to figure out the best way.

Thanks
chuckit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #11
DRC69

Drives: 2011 RS 2LT
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckit View Post
How did you get your wires into the vehicle? I can't seem to figure out the best way.

Thanks

I to would like to know. The cam / backup light looks great.
DRC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:01 PM   #12
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
I used a camera built into my license plate. Been there for 5 years no issues and its not very noticeable. I didn't want to cut any holes or mount a 1 off camera that wouldn't be available in 10 years when it breaks.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:21 AM   #13
Cheap Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC69 View Post
I to would like to know. The cam / backup light looks great.
Sorry, I haven't been on the site for awhile. You probably have this figured out by now, but if you just go up through the license plate light slot you'll see you have lots of room to run it up through the panel between the inside of the trunk and the outer bumper panel. No drilling necessary at all. I then ran the video wire along the passenger side of the car and the reverse trigger to the driver's side reverse wire.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:34 PM   #14
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I used this one. Love the quality. I didnt have a cam so i had to make the hole. No issues at all. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H852D49...v_ov_lig_dp_it
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote