Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-19-2018, 03:20 PM   #1
Blown355

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Took my 17 ZL1 to the stealership to have the A10 trans check for the overfill issue

So, I went to my local Chevy dealership to have my A10 checked for the overfill issue. I showed them the TSB which gives the details. He goes to talk to his supervisor for 5 minutes or so, then comes back and states that since I won't let then duplicate the issue, they'll fix it but not under warranty. Meaning I'll have to pay for it. I explained to him "again" that it only happens when shifting at wot into 5th or 6th gear and how are they going to try that. He had no answer, but just repeated the previous statement that they would fix it just not under warranty. I don't know why I expected anything else.
I guess I'll take it to one of the speedshops here in Austin to have them fix it.
Blown355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:24 PM   #2
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Unbelievable. Makes ZERO sense for a dealer to turn away a customer like that.

Do it yourself or like you said the local performance shops are likely 1000x more qualified. You could also call another dealer or two.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:31 PM   #3
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Yeah...it's a minor issue that is easily corrected. I wouldn't go back to that dealership. If you want a little justice, write GM that you have this issue, and the dealership will not correct it under warranty (with TSB).
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
dickh

Drives: 2018 Hyperblue ZL1 A10 coupe
That is truly a shame. My dealership in Denton, TX, James Wood, took my A10 in, checked the fluid level and for all the latest updates without question. And they gave me a free car while they did it. My problem was the 3-4 shift at the Texas Mile and it may have been solved by simply ensuring the transmission fluid was at 150 or above. Never have a problem when it's warm. Thanks again to those who responded on that. This site is great.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:06 PM   #5
Blown355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Unbelievable. Makes ZERO sense for a dealer to turn away a customer like that.

Do it yourself or like you said the local performance shops are likely 1000x more qualified. You could also call another dealer or two.
Especially when I've purchased a 2010 2SS there and my 2012 ZL1.
I've already talked to the guys at DMS. Problem solved.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #6
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickh View Post
That is truly a shame. My dealership in Denton, TX, James Wood, took my A10 in, checked the fluid level and for all the latest updates without question. And they gave me a free car while they did it. My problem was the 3-4 shift at the Texas Mile and it may have been solved by simply ensuring the transmission fluid was at 150 or above. Never have a problem when it's warm. Thanks again to those who responded on that. This site is great.
can you give a bit more info on what 3-4 issue you were having and how did it get resolved? thanks
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #7
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Where can I find the TSB...I have an early Z & been thinking of doing the same even though I have no issues, but would like to make certain it is correct especially if I get the chance to track.

I've been holding back in the hopes that other GM vehicles with the A10 may have gone through...I don't want my car to be the head scratcher for the tech because it's fairly new.

I bet Ford has a better handle on the A10 with all the F150's out there!!
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:18 PM   #8
Blown355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Where can I find the TSB...I have an early Z & been thinking of doing the same even though I have no issues, but would like to make certain it is correct especially if I get the chance to track.

I've been holding back in the hopes that other GM vehicles with the A10 may have gone through...I don't want my car to be the head scratcher for the tech because it's fairly new.

I did a search on this site.

I bet Ford has a better handle on the A10 with all the F150's out there!!
Isnt there a recall on the F150s with the A10?
Old 04-19-2018, 10:43 PM   #9
Slickcas

Drives: 12' 2SS/RS LS3 IBM
Just take it to a different dealership. It’s warranty work they get paid from GM.
Slickcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:19 AM   #10
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
That’s really strange to me as a Tech. Especially when it’s just a quick check and is very easy to do.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #11
dickh

Drives: 2018 Hyperblue ZL1 A10 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1+911 View Post
can you give a bit more info on what 3-4 issue you were having and how did it get resolved? thanks
The problem happened at the Mile on first and third runs. The shift from 3-4 took almost a second and felt like I hit the rev limiter. It just shutdown. No tune was done to the A10, although I am at 635 rwhp. Best theory so far has been that the transmission fluid was under 150 (it was, about 125). Haven't had a chance to go back on a track, but in street applications, trans temp about 190, never had a shift problem on 3-4 or 4-5, which is when I usually run out of safe room. As you sit in line quite awhile at the Mile, fluid tends to cool and I wasn't thinking about heating it up. So next time I will make sure the temp is up and report back.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #12
Locker

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I took my car in for a service and they checked for and corrected this issue without me even asking them to. Wasnt even having any problems shifting.
Locker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #13
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown355 View Post
Isnt there a recall on the F150s with the A10?
No idea??

I've been driving one for exactly 1 month & already have 1500 more miles than my Z I've had for 13 months!! 5000 vs 3500. It's a company truck so any recall notice would end up with HR.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:45 AM   #14
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickh View Post
The problem happened at the Mile on first and third runs. The shift from 3-4 took almost a second and felt like I hit the rev limiter. It just shutdown. No tune was done to the A10, although I am at 635 rwhp. Best theory so far has been that the transmission fluid was under 150 (it was, about 125). Haven't had a chance to go back on a track, but in street applications, trans temp about 190, never had a shift problem on 3-4 or 4-5, which is when I usually run out of safe room. As you sit in line quite awhile at the Mile, fluid tends to cool and I wasn't thinking about heating it up. So next time I will make sure the temp is up and report back.
Dick,
I'm the guy with the same exact problem at the Mile....
That said, I'm having trouble with the cold transmission theory. Reason being is there were 3 other ZL1's running at the Mile and I saw two of them running there engines minimum time (to prevent heat soak) and one of them packing the SC in ice. On the other hand, to test the cold theory (had the same thought back then) I literally let my engine idle for an hour (of course it can't be driven while in line). That said, my temps were up, and the 3-4 shift was terrible. The other 3 ZL1's were having no problems at all.

I'm having the same experience as you, back home I've not had the issue a single time.... And again to test the theory, I ran my car through the gears after a very short warm-up and (again) no shifting problem.

There's a gremlin there somewhere, but have no idea what it is....

Good luck!