Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2010, 11:06 PM   #15
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
Mine is also on hill mostly and when backing or pulling into driveway. My is a growl as well but I would not go as far to say it is grinding or even chattering just a roar or growl like you describe
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:10 AM   #16
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Mine had this as well. Took it back to the dealer and they added more friction modifier to the rearend. Noise went away after a couple days. The guys as the shop said this is fairly common. He's personally had 2 4th gens that did it and a Vette. FM fixed them all.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #17
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
Any chance that your emergency brake cable is rubbing the inside edge of the wheel? After installing wider wheels mine did this when cornering and when pulling up or backing out of my steep driveway.
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #18
jsharp

Just has so much more roar than just rubbing it sounds like a gear box or something machine like not just a rub but I guess anything is possible!
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
Old 09-26-2010, 08:03 PM   #19
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
After the outer rubber coating of the emergency brake cable wears thru and exposes the metal braiding inside it sounds very bad. Only takes a few seconds to check by looking thru the wheel spokes w/flashlight to view the cable.
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #20
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
What you're hearing is just gear noise; I have the same thing in mine and I have Royal Purple in it too. Not an issue, just a noise. When I replaced the stock shifter with the Hurst short-throw I noticed more gear noise in the cabin as well. It's just noise. Goes with the territory sometimes when doing mods.

Friction modifiers or thicker gear oil simply muffles that sound by coating the gears with more oil; Royal Purple oil doesn't need to do that to protect the gears. If you can live with the gear noise then you'll have a better performing differential due to less friction, less resistance and more power getting to the rear wheels.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #21
jsharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
What you're hearing is just gear noise; I have the same thing in mine and I have Royal Purple in it too. Not an issue, just a noise. When I replaced the stock shifter with the Hurst short-throw I noticed more gear noise in the cabin as well. It's just noise. Goes with the territory sometimes when doing mods.

Friction modifiers or thicker gear oil simply muffles that sound by coating the gears with more oil; Royal Purple oil doesn't need to do that to protect the gears. If you can live with the gear noise then you'll have a better performing differential due to less friction, less resistance and more power getting to the rear wheels.
Exactly what I wanted/needed to hear!
Old 10-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #22
JimW

Drives: 2011 Camaro
I had this same problem after lowering(H&R springs) mine with stock twenty inch wheels.. but only on passenger side rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEN View Post
Any chance that your emergency brake cable is rubbing the inside edge of the wheel? After installing wider wheels mine did this when cornering and when pulling up or backing out of my steep driveway.
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #23
daveprimo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
check between your rotors and rotor shield. Same thing happened to me and turned out that a rock was caught in there.
daveprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #24
kook

Drives: 2010 2SS Yellow
I just took my car out for the first time after installing my 20x11 forgestars on the rear and the 20x9.5 on the front and my emergency brake cable is rubbing on the passenger side rear. Also seems the alignment is out of whack as well. Anyone else have this issue? It's going for pedders coil over install and alignment on Monday so I'm sure they will get it figured out.
Magnaflow Street Cat-Back
DOD Delete
Forgestar F-14's and Pedders XA + PKG
Custom grind cam from Cincy Speed
ADM dual fuel pump
ADM AF/Boost gauges
FTI 3200 convertor
Hurst shifter
Cincy Speed Build and Tune 540rwhp
kook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #25
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
mine does it...and its the brakes (IMO). i can feel it and hear it when it happens. pretty sure i can feel it in the brake pedal. doesnt happen all the time, i think it matters how much the front wheel is cut when turning.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:20 AM   #26
Ucantctchme

Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
It's not gear noise! It's the slip stick condition keep it greasy is referring to. It is a customer nuisance issue. It's not going to hurt anything. The noise is a high frequency chatter of the clutches that comes out as a moan or growl noise. Bring it to the dealer, we will fill it with new fluid, drive it in figure eights to flush out the clutches then drain and refill it with fresh fluid. I repeat, it is not gear noise.
Ucantctchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #27
bjorno

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss rs 6m
The grinding noise you hear when backing up, braking and turning (sometimes) is due to the electronic brake control module. It needs to be reflashed. I found the solution on this site and presented it to my dealer that fixed the problem because of my input. They even offered me a free oil change, because they otherwise would never have figured it out. I don't have numbers with me but your dealer can look it up
bjorno is offline   Reply With Quote