Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-08-2010, 07:06 AM   #1
icsparks

Drives: camaro 2LT/RS Inferno
Power loss with Airaid and mrt 2.0 combo Help

Is it possible that I lost power with this combo. The car fells like I have to really stomp the gas to get any thing out of it now. Takes more throttle then before to get the tires to break loose. I also can feel a slight vibration and weird sound when I open the throttle under a load in a higher gear such as going up hill. Little more Info>

I have been running high grade gas for well over 3000 miles.
After the Install of the MRT 2.O the car ran better then stock. Quick response and more power.

After the Airaid install
Slow response less power Vibration felt through the gas pedal and hum noise at half open throttle.
I also noticed a louder ticking sound from the injectors.

I did the battery disconnect during the install of the CAI. Double checked the install everything is correct and all clamps are tight.
Is there any thing that I could have missed or should try.

Oh this is not a heat issue. Problem is even with cool 60's morning temps.

Thanks
icsparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
The Jannetty Racing CAI thread shows a good gain low and through the mid RPM range for the Airaid. Even if you didn't get the hood seal correctly, I don't have a clue.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
I would check the intake install all over again. Get the instructions out and walk through one step at a time.

Push comes to shove put the stock intake back on and see if they issue is still there, just in case it may be unrelated to Airaid.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Make sure the sensor in the airraid tube is not "upside-down". It is directional and needs to be placed so that the intake air from the outside is hitting its input end.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
icsparks

Sensor

I checked the sensor again. Was not upside down & screws were tight. Here is pic of install can take more if needed.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
As mentioned before, put the stock air intake in to see if problem persists..
why is the wire on the MAF pulled tight?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
What he just said...
Old 08-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
kga10734
Don't Feed the Troll

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS & 1999 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by icsparks View Post
Is it possible that I lost power with this combo. The car fells like I have to really stomp the gas to get any thing out of it now. Takes more throttle then before to get the tires to break loose. I also can feel a slight vibration and weird sound when I open the throttle under a load in a higher gear such as going up hill. Little more Info>

I have been running high grade gas for well over 3000 miles.
After the Install of the MRT 2.O the car ran better then stock. Quick response and more power.

After the Airaid install
Slow response less power Vibration felt through the gas pedal and hum noise at half open throttle.
I also noticed a louder ticking sound from the injectors.

I did the battery disconnect during the install of the CAI. Double checked the install everything is correct and all clamps are tight.
Is there any thing that I could have missed or should try.

Oh this is not a heat issue. Problem is even with cool 60's morning temps.

Thanks
First off, did you get the Airaid version 1 tube or did you get the version 2 intake tube? If yours has the wedge inside the tube it's V1. If the one you have is open straight through and uses a insert, it's V2 and should not be causing any issues. So far, everyone that has gotten the updated version(v2) of the intake tube has not had any problems with them as far as I have heard. V2 makes power and v1 didn't.

The MAF sensor will only go in one way in the Airaid. You can not put it in backward unless you use a hammer.

You may also go back and check all your connections of the tube to make sure you got everything to fit snuggly with no vacuum leaks.

As far as the "hum" noise, when you change out intakes it changes the sound of your exhaust. What you are now hearing at half throttle is a little drone coming from the exhaust would be my guess.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #9
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by icsparks View Post
I checked the sensor again. Was not upside down & screws were tight. Here is pic of install can take more if needed.
First off, as KGA said, definitely check and make sure you have version 2 of the tube. If not, they will ship it to you for free!

Secondly, it appears from the picture you posted that your rubber seal is on backwards. It needs to fold out and away from the box, not in towards it.

As it is in the picture, you could be letting some additional hot air in your box so change that. Also, check out the thread on modifying the AirRaid box with additional holes...that helps too!

Good luck!!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:31 AM   #10
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
First off, as KGA said, definitely check and make sure you have version 2 of the tube. If not, they will ship it to you for free!

Secondly, it appears from the picture you posted that your rubber seal is on backwards. It needs to fold out and away from the box, not in towards it.

As it is in the picture, you could be letting some additional hot air in your box so change that. Also, check out the thread on modifying the AirRaid box with additional holes...that helps too!

Good luck!!

What he said! above. The rubber seal on the box is on backward. It should curve or curl outward, not inward to the filter.
Get the V2 tube if you don't have it, it's free. Just contact david@airaid.com and let him know you have the V1 tube and need the V2. Just provide your contact info, email and username on C5.com along with either your documentation of purchase or a pic above you posted.

BTW, I've had no issues that you've mentioned. My car screams like a scolded dog and kicks your head back into the headrest wit solid performance and power!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
icsparks

OK before I took out the Airaid my wife and I went out with a stop watch and did some 0-65 runs. I am no way consistent at this nor is she running the stop watch. So we did 4 runs Shifting at 5 grand so I could be more precise and not have to many gear shift grinds.
Here is the # with the Airaid. Outside air temp was 78 at the time
0-65 mph time

average 10.47

Put the stock box back in did same runs. 5 grand shifts. Outside air temp was 84.
0-65 MPH time
9'64

average 9.67

Just for fun I did one run on the wild side.
0 to 60 with old air box shifting at 7 grand was 6.40 This car will do 6 sec.

Putting the Airaid back in today and do more runs. Will turn the lip seal around so the lip points out. I was told that it is a v2 but how do I tell? the box never said anything about the version. I will take pictures of the tube and insert and post before I put it on the car. If it is a v1 I will contact Dave.

I will do a 0-60 run with the Airaid on today 7 grand shifts just to see if I gained any top end.

I should not have seen a loss at all. I would have been happy if the runs were the same.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #12
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
yah something is messed up it might need a tune .... i know i lost power on my cai without a tune .
HP MONSTER' SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BUILT, LMR CAI, CUSTOM GRIND CAM, CUSTOM BUILT CNC PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS, FAST 102MM INTAKE MANIFOLD,ARH LONG TUBES AND HIGH FLOW CATS, BIGGER INJECTORS, VALVES SPRINGS RETAINERS, MGW SHORT SHIFTER, EIBACH SPRINGS, FACTORY CHROMED WHEELS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS, BLACKED OUT ROOF,BLACKED OUT MARKERS, 3.5 INCH ELECTRONIC CUTOUTS, FLOWMASTERS, ZEX WET 150 SHOT, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF =630 REAR WHEEL TORQUE ,AND 600 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER
MY JOURNALhttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post2023802 SOON TWIN TURBO SETUP
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Here comes a can of worms!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #14
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Your seal was WRONG. You were letting hot air in. It's as simple as that.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote