Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-14-2017, 01:06 AM   #15
Blackkaz04

Drives: 2006 Z06
I don't comment that much but I understand where you're coming from OP so here's my two cents: I owned a c5Z, c6z(almost stock), 600rwho 2SS 5th gen and now I'm in the market for either a 5th gen ZL1 or a 6th gen. I miss the supercharged instant stem low grunt my Maggie's 2SS had; So the LSA is an awesome motor that responds well to mods I'm just trying to decide if it handle that much better than my 2011 SS did. A coworker of mine has a 700rwhp 2013 ZL1 and it's a raging muscle car. It goes anywhere and gets to the speed limit every bit as quick as I want...faster than my C6Z. It still feels heavy and I'm not sure can replace the C6Z. Power and downright laughter when I mash the pedal, yes, but I'm still out to lunch in the handling.

It's a heavier car though, as much as I loved my 5th gen 2011 Maggie charged SS it drove like a boat. Soooo long story but I'm considering a 6th gen ZL1 vs the 5th gen ZL1...thinking it may fit the bill for better handling but still retain that muscle car feel. They are already dipping into the mid 50s, I suspect by later winter you will be able to buy them for 50k. Something to consider if you're straddling the fence between deciding on a muscle car(zL1) vs a sportscar(Z06).
Blackkaz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #16
03worthy4link

Drives: Nil
Thought i'd update

I ended up purchasing a '13 ZL1 from a member on here. Very stand up individual and easy to deal with. So far the car has been flawless and I very much enjoy it. I flew up to get it and drove it back 17 hours and was pretty impressed with how well the car can eat up the miles without making me want out. 1.5 hour trips in the vette used to leave me a little antsy to get out, but I drove the ZL 12 hours with no fuss. It has a few mods and has pretty much all the power you could want/need to have fun on the street and makes some great noises.

Overall its an entirely different car from my C6Z, comparing them is apples to oranges. I will say I feel NO sense of 'downgrading' in the ZL. It honestly seems more polished than my Z did and the few more creature comforts dont leave me feeling a generation behind as I did in the vette.

Oh and the gas mileage is terrible
03worthy4link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #17
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03worthy4link View Post
Thought i'd update

I ended up purchasing a '13 ZL1 from a member on here. Very stand up individual and easy to deal with. So far the car has been flawless and I very much enjoy it. I flew up to get it and drove it back 17 hours and was pretty impressed with how well the car can eat up the miles without making me want out. 1.5 hour trips in the vette used to leave me a little antsy to get out, but I drove the ZL 12 hours with no fuss. It has a few mods and has pretty much all the power you could want/need to have fun on the street and makes some great noises.

Overall its an entirely different car from my C6Z, comparing them is apples to oranges. I will say I feel NO sense of 'downgrading' in the ZL. It honestly seems more polished than my Z did and the few more creature comforts dont leave me feeling a generation behind as I did in the vette.

Doesn't get any better than a 2013 ZL1..
(p.s. we will all want pics asap)
StreetRage320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:35 PM   #18
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Thought i'd update

It honestly seems more polished than my Z did
Enjoy.

jfyi: around here, a "Z" is a Camaro...not a 'vette.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #19
03worthy4link

Drives: Nil
Here’s a pic of her with a boat I’m working on lol
Attached Images

03worthy4link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:31 AM   #20
Roadking107

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I had a supercharged C5Z06 made 650hp to the wheels. I Live in Ontario Canada and our roads look more like the surface of Mars than a road. Constant scrapping and bumping. Sold it thinking I was done with performance cars. Lasted a few weeks and came across a local 14 ZL1 my wife loved it so I bought it. In stock form I find the car slow. It is a big heavy car with poor visibility. Since it has a PD supercharger it’s a torque monster which equals fun. It has a back seat the kids can sit for short rides. For a car of its weight and size it shouldn’t handle as well it does. The ZL1 is smoother over rough roads – rides like a luxury car. To me the Z06 are track cars whereas the ZL1 is a GT. Just my 2 cents
Roadking107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:42 PM   #21
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking107 View Post
I had a supercharged C5Z06 made 650hp to the wheels. I Live in Ontario Canada and our roads look more like the surface of Mars than a road. Constant scrapping and bumping. Sold it thinking I was done with performance cars. Lasted a few weeks and came across a local 14 ZL1 my wife loved it so I bought it. In stock form I find the car slow. It is a big heavy car with poor visibility. Since it has a PD supercharger it’s a torque monster which equals fun. It has a back seat the kids can sit for short rides. For a car of its weight and size it shouldn’t handle as well it does. The ZL1 is smoother over rough roads – rides like a luxury car. To me the Z06 are track cars whereas the ZL1 is a GT. Just my 2 cents
I agree with this as the owner of both.

The ZL1 has the option of making anywhere from 600-750+ RWHP by adding minimal modifications (depending on your definitions) as well.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:14 PM   #22
AquaSSRS

Drives: formerly a AGM ZL1 (sold)
Quote:
Here’s a pic of her with a boat I’m working on lol
She looks very clean and happy down there. Enjoy the car. I miss it though.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #23
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Drives: 2013 JDP ZL-850 Track Spec ZL1,
A sweet looking ride for sure, glad you enjoy the Z. Love mine!
owhite3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #24
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Thought i'd update

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaSSRS View Post
She looks very clean and happy down there. Enjoy the car. I miss it though.
Upon reading Aqua's mod list, yes...it has plenty of get up and go for you. 566RWHP is no joke! Congrats!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote