Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Zune HD

Quote:
That's right folks, the Zune HD is real, and it's coming this Fall. Microsoft officially announced the next iteration in their Zune line today, making it less of a tripped out pipe dream, and more of a totally tubular reality. The specs, which look exactly like that leak we saw, go like this: 3.3-inch, 480 x 272 OLED capacitive touchscreen display, built-in HD Radio receiver, HD output (utilizing a new dock -- not on-board), and... not much more right now. Microsoft is doing away with the famed squircle in favor a full multitouch device, and they seemed to indicate that some new touch-friendly apps and games would be headed our way, though they were fairly mum when it came to details. The device will boast an IE-based, customized browser, but little else was said in the way of software.

Details are also scarce concerning storage capacities, CPU performance, and other crucial numbers, but it seems like they've got more in store come E3... and that's the next big piece of news. Zune integration is coming to the Xbox and Xbox Live, as the Zune marketplace will step in to replace the current Live video resources, expanding the library and offering all kinds of new perks, like Zune's first foray into international waters. According to the company, at E3 "attendees will see first-hand how Zune integrates into Xbox LIVE creating a game-changing entertainment experience" -- we're not entirely sure what the means right now, but it sounds sweet. Try to contain your excitement.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/26/z...-way-this-fall

I don't have a use for it but it looks pretty cool. Another site said it's running Windows CE at it's core which is also the core of Windows Mobile so I'm wondering how cross-platform Windows Mobile apps will be with this. And if they include the XNA Game dev stuff it could be extremely compelling for developers to write games for both this, Xbox 360, and PC with minimal code differentiation.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
NICE!!!
I was just thinking of an upgrade from my 30 gig.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
NICE!!!
I was just thinking of an upgrade from my 30 gig.
The one thing somehow not mentioned is the storage space. I'm assuming it's flash based so it'll probably only be 32gb or something.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
The one thing somehow not mentioned is the storage space. I'm assuming it's flash based so it'll probably only be 32gb or something.
If it has everything they're saying, I'm ok with 30.

But I think it may be more than that.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
Niiiiice!

I have 2 Zunes, a Brownie 30gb (now my wife's) and a 3rd Gen 120 gb.

I dont need this unless its a phone too... then Im 100% down!

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
No time or extra bank to move to a different platform. Never heard much good about the Zune. I understand most are biased to their current players but I have too much money invested in music and video for the Apple based stuff.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

ugghh

Apple fanboys will say anything to get you on their side.

To tell you the truth, it's nothing more than personal preferance.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
No time or extra bank to move to a different platform. Never heard much good about the Zune. I understand most are biased to their current players but I have too much money invested in music and video for the Apple based stuff.
Hence why I cannot stand Apple and their stupid DRM. I would do what you can to ditch the DRM'd tracks and "upgrade" (yea I know you have to pay for it) to the non-DRM tracks. At least you will be able to do as you wish in the future instead of being locked into Apple's jail cell. Just get all your tracks to actual MP3 format and it will work in pretty much everything (Zune, Rio, iPhone, Blackberry, etc).

Most people that actually own a Zune really like them. It's those who don't that like to mock them.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
ugghh

Apple fanboys will say anything to get you on their side.

To tell you the truth, it's nothing more than personal preferance.
I'm one of those UCF is talking about, held hostage by iTunes. I love the iPhone so much because of the calendar air sync (like a server) that I can't bring myself to switch. Me and Bonnies appointment books have to sync over the air for clients and consultation and such.

Quote:
Hence why I cannot stand Apple and their stupid DRM. I would do what you can to ditch the DRM'd tracks and "upgrade" (yea I know you have to pay for it) to the non-DRM tracks. At least you will be able to do as you wish in the future instead of being locked into Apple's jail cell. Just get all your tracks to actual MP3 format and it will work in pretty much everything (Zune, Rio, iPhone, Blackberry, etc).

Most people that actually own a Zune really like them. It's those who don't that like to mock them.
So what your saying is that with the Microsoft stuff, you can buy the media and put it where you want?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
So what your saying is that with the Microsoft stuff, you can buy the media and put it where you want?
Not most of the videos (sadly) but music, yes. Most of the current iTunes songs are DRM free as well. BUT they are still sold in AAC format which very few devices support. As long as it's DRM-free, it's relatively trivial to convert from AAC to MP3. You can also buy songs from the Amazon store in MP3 format that will play on anything. Might want to shop around a bit... often times you can get stuff cheaper.

Here's a FAQ on how you can tell DRM-free tracks on iTunes.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #11
PQ
Booooosted.

Cool. I was listening to Clark Howard and he was talking about this. I'll have to check it out. Of course I want whatever is the most seemless working with my Camaro.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
Cool. I was listening to Clark Howard and he was talking about this. I'll have to check it out. Of course I want whatever is the most seemless working with my Camaro.
I think as long as you hook your iPhone up to the car, it will play whatever your phone can play. But if you were to copy those files to a flash drive and stick it in the USB port, you'd get "EPIC FAIL" on the screen.

One thing cool about Zune and the Zune store is the Zune Pass subscription. Instead of paying per song, you pay a monthly fee ($15) and you can download and listen to whatever you want. The downside is that you have to keep paying for it in order for it to keep working. Once you stop paying, it all goes bye bye. And it won't work on other devices. BUT you also get to download 10 songs per month that are of the DRM-free kind that you can keep forever and will work on anything. So basically you're paying $5 a month for the subscription as long as you download your full 10songs each month. Obviously this is good if you like new music. Not so much if you've been listening to the same stuff for 30yrs.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
I think as long as you hook your iPhone up to the car, it will play whatever your phone can play. But if you were to copy those files to a flash drive and stick it in the USB port, you'd get "EPIC FAIL" on the screen.

One thing cool about Zune and the Zune store is the Zune Pass subscription. Instead of paying per song, you pay a monthly fee ($15) and you can download and listen to whatever you want. The downside is that you have to keep paying for it in order for it to keep working. Once you stop paying, it all goes bye bye. And it won't work on other devices. BUT you also get to download 10 songs per month that are of the DRM-free kind that you can keep forever and will work on anything. So basically you're paying $5 a month for the subscription as long as you download your full 10songs each month. Obviously this is good if you like new music. Not so much if you've been listening to the same stuff for 30yrs.
Honestly, I don't have much 'bought' music but a ton of 'bought' movies and vids. Most of my music is from previous times before iTunes made it's way onto my PC. I wouldn't lose much music at all. And no use for vid with the Camaro so it wouldn't be that painful to switch. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 05-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #14
UCF w00t
Geek

It's been discussed but the best option for the Camaro in my opinion as well as many others (including the dude that worked on the USB/PDIM stuff for the car) is just a USB stick. As long as your music is MP3 or WMA you just copy the files to the flash drive, stick it in the glove box and forget about it. That way you don't have to worry about the battery or screen or any of that stuff getting screwed up by the heat of the car during summer. The USB drive shouldn't have a problem with the temps.