Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Brian Bond

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
What to get..Help

Alright so I am a new Camaro guy and my car isnt even in yet, but I want to have mods all ready to install as soon as my car arrives. I want to spend about 1000 dollars in my first stage. What should I get? I want to keep my warranty but also want to gain so RWHP. What CAI is the best HP gain?

Thanks Everyone!!

Brian
Old 10-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
Brian Bond

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Bumb. Anyone Suggestions?
Old 10-20-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
bigbob11

Drives: 2012 2SS
search is your friend, good luck with the new car
bigbob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
On my SS I went with a C.A.I. cai, a Vmax tb, and ADM air scoop for my intake. All bolt ons. The air scoop takes a little time to install though. For my exhaust I went with Solo high flow cats for better sound and some rwhp. The cats, cai and tb are bolt ons that if a problem arose you could quickly r&r them before taking it to the dealer. Remember any aftermarket mods can technically void your warranty. There are no cai's that are CARB legal and neither are the cats. You do not have to do a smog for 6 years on a new car. If you ever plan on doing LT's then don't do the cats. The LS3 cats ~15rwhp are $575, C.A.I. ~15rwhp is $399, a ported tb ~0-5rwhp is $150 with a core exchange, although I kept my original just in case, and a scoop a washer bottle relocation kit is $150. If you have the factory NPP exhaust option and never will do LT's, which are not CARB legal, add some high flow cats for an even better sound and some real hp gains. It's been awhile, but I do miss that good old Santa Maria tritip.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:00 AM   #5
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
You bought a 1LE...take the 1000 dollars and buy some track time. Air intakes have to be the worst bang for buck there is on these cars or that would buy you the Pedders Permagrin package. That would give you the best bang for the buck and something you can feel everytime you drive the car at any speed.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:49 AM   #6
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_hx
Exhaust system, Cold-Air Intake system, and a key ring.
Camaro_hx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:50 AM   #7
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
You bought a 1LE...take the 1000 dollars and buy some track time. Air intakes have to be the worst bang for buck there is on these cars or that would buy you the Pedders Permagrin package. That would give you the best bang for the buck and something you can feel everytime you drive the car at any speed.
WOW, that's a pretty bold statement given the price/HP is around $25 on the better intakes. In most instances, that's a pretty damn good deal.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:56 AM   #8
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
If you want to keep your warranty, dont modify the car. I know everyone puts a CAI, headers, and exhaust on their car and never tunes for them. In my opinion, thats the biggest waste of money because you are not taking advantage of the parts by not tuning. Any changes made to an intake system should be an automatic tune because the MAF sensor is in a different location than it was stock, so it is not optimized. Ive driven bolt on cars that were not tuned and I thought they drove like shit. They surged and bucked because the mods made the computer run outside of its window to compensate. Obviously do what you want, but Id do like stated above and get used to the car as is on the track. The most I would put on it is a catback. Get that muscle car sound. Wait until youre ok with voiding that warranty before putting aftermarket parts on it. Make the parts run as designed, dont just limp it a long.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bond View Post
Alright so I am a new Camaro guy and my car isnt even in yet, but I want to have mods all ready to install as soon as my car arrives. I want to spend about 1000 dollars in my first stage. What should I get? I want to keep my warranty but also want to gain so RWHP. What CAI is the best HP gain?

Thanks Everyone!!

Brian
1) Apex catch can
2) Skip Shift Eliminator
3) CAI Inc intake
4) VMAX ported throttle body
5) BMR rear cradle bushings
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Bub - cancel your order immediately & get a ZL1!

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
I would get a good cai like ADM Halltech or CAI with scoop and spend the rest on suspension mod cradle inserts or bushings pedders or pfadt swaybars to begin with
Old 10-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
CAI, headers & HF cats, ported throttle body, tune, will give you the most power and torque gains.

CAI, Inc does great in the dyno runs. Some do not like that they have a metal tube for heat soak reasons. So Vararam and ADM are other great options.

Headers, you can pay as much or as little as you want. TSP and Stainless Power are cheap, quality, and give great gains. For an extra few HP/Tq you can get Pfadt, but pay a few hundred extra $$$. I have stainless power headers with their HF cats.

Get LT headers (no shorties), 1 7/8" or bigger.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
CAI, headers & HF cats, ported throttle body, tune, will give you the most power and torque gains.

CAI, Inc does great in the dyno runs. Some do not like that they have a metal tube for heat soak reasons. So Vararam and ADM are other great options.

Headers, you can pay as much or as little as you want. TSP and Stainless Power are cheap, quality, and give great gains. For an extra few HP/Tq you can get Pfadt, but pay a few hundred extra $$$. I have stainless power headers with their HF cats.

Get LT headers (no shorties), 1 7/8" or bigger.

+1, he nailed it!
Old 10-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
If I was going to keep my warranty, I'd look at a high quality CAI like ADM, Roto Fab, Haltech, or Cold Air Inductions. Get high flow cats, then if you plan on racing the car a bit, look into buying a cheap rear wheel Drag Set up like a set of 18" Z06 Vette wheels and MT ET Street DR's. THEN RACE AWAY!
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote