Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
usranger80

Drives: 2011 1LT "Bumblebee"
DIY for V6 Brake Pad change

I saw the DIY for the SS but nothing for the V6, I imagine they are quite similar except for a few steps though. ALso some conflicting info out there on whether or not to bleed the brakes if you are jsut changing the pads. I have done brake pads before but never on this car and I just want to make sure I get it right without messing something up. Got some Wagner Ceramic TQ's to put on to get rid of the annoying brake dust.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
RedVictory
Luv my LS3

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS M6 LS3
Ill be watching this, ive got new pads and vented rotors to install....sigh...
RedVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
You shouldn't have to bleed the brakes when your finished. However, when you are spreading the calipers, keep an eye on the brake fluid resevoir. If/When it starts to rise because your spreading the calipers and pushing fluid back into the resevior, you don't want it to overflow. Brake fluid can destroy some paint. GO SLOW too! You don't want it to jump out of the resevoir either, lol. A turkey baster or syringe can be used to remove some of the fluid if you need to remove some.

The Brembo DIY will work fine for removing the calipers because they bolt right up to the same holes on the V6.

edit: as long as you don't crack the bleeder screw or your resevoir is bone dry you do not need to bleed the brakes
Old 08-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
FLRS

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
You shouldn't have to bleed the brakes when your finished. However, when you are spreading the calipers, keep an eye on the brake fluid resevoir. If/When it starts to rise because your spreading the calipers and pushing fluid back into the resevior, you don't want it to overflow. Brake fluid can destroy some paint. GO SLOW too! You don't want it to jump out of the resevoir either, lol. A turkey baster or syringe can be used to remove some of the fluid if you need to remove some.

The Brembo DIY will work fine for removing the calipers because they bolt right up to the same holes on the V6.

edit: as long as you don't crack the bleeder screw or your resevoir is bone dry you do not need to bleed the brakes
Excellent advice
Old 08-15-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
step by step pictures?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
RedVictory
Luv my LS3

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS M6 LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
step by step pictures?
yes please

Last edited by RedVictory; 08-19-2011 at 09:38 AM.
RedVictory is offline   Reply With Quote