Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
Fentito5thgen
Sombra

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel Gray 2SS
Storing Camaro for two years due to military orders, How to do it properly? Help!

Storing Camaro for two years due to military orders, How to do it properly? Help!

I need to store my Camaro for two years while overseas. How can I accomplish this without harming the vehicle? This is what I know so far:
Car cover
Fresh Oil change (MOBIL 1)
5 pounds over in tires or lift off the floor
Battery tender
Also, here are my options financially wise. (Need Advice)
I owe around $16,500 on it, I can probably sale it for just over that amount now and get a used one when I return. IF I keep it, it will be paid off by the time I come back.
This vehicle is intended as my son’s graduation gift from HS if he completes what is required from him by ME. This will give me an excellent excuse for an upgrade (Used SS or New SS).
I still have time for my decision but I really need your advice on this one.
Just in case you are wondering what I drive, here it is:
2013 AGM 2LT/RS
Auto
Sunroof
Beige leather interior
GM Installed body kit
K&N CAI
LED Sequential tail lights from Phastek
Thank you in advance.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
OK, you live in VA Beach.
This is a very easy fix, drop it off at my house, in Northern Va,
I will take very good care of your baby for you, I won't even charge you for this service.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Park it on carpet, battery tender, dryer sheets in the exhaust and interior. Full tank of E0 fuel and your favorite stabilizer. And leave it alone. Don't start it, just leave it be.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
if it were me,i would have someone you trust, drive it about once a month.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
Fentito5thgen
Sombra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
OK, you live in VA Beach.
This is a very easy fix, drop it off at my house, in Northern Va,
I will take very good care of your baby for you, I won't even charge you for this service.

Nice try.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
Fentito5thgen
Sombra

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
Park it on carpet, battery tender, dryer sheets in the exhaust and interior. Full tank of E0 fuel and your favorite stabilizer. And leave it alone. Don't start it, just leave it be.

Thank you.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #7
Fentito5thgen
Sombra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
if it were me,i would have someone you trust, drive it about once a month.

I'm actually working on this one. I hope my friend says yes.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:21 AM   #8
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentito5thgen View Post
Thank you.

No problem at all make sure you have ethanol free fuel!!!!! Most important part of all that.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentito5thgen View Post
I'm actually working on this one. I hope my friend says yes.

I ALREADY said yes.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #10
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
I would try selling it at price a little above its value if you can get near retail value for I would sell if there is near 0% chance you will have your deployment changed. 2 years is a long time to store a car while you are away and it will loose value every day even just sitting there.

If you cant get very good value selling my second choice would be what ron10 said. If you have anyone you trust to take her out for a spin every 2-6 weeks then put it back in the garage on a battery tender and when it gets under 3/4 of tank to fill it back up and re add stabill thats what I would do.

3rd would be long term storage which I am unfamiliar with looks like you have the right ideas on that other more familiar with it will be more help than I. If you cover it make sure its a breathable cover that wont trap to much moisture. I have seen boats that are covered for a long time with very nice breathable water proof covers and they end up with mold on them sometimes covers can do more harm than good. If you can find any where local (maybe marina) that sells gasoline with out ethanol in it that would be a big help for long term storage (that stuff attracts water and will stratify in the tank). Also can any one answer about starting a car after long term storage some say just fire it up other say go through some huge procedure.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #11
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
My car sat for almost 1.5 years while going through a divorce. She actually did me a favor keeping it in the garage, lol.

The only thing I needed was a fully charged portable battery booster. She started right up and then I brought her up to temperature driving for about 250 miles. The tires were flat spotted and took about anther 250 miles to round out. The battery went dead a week later again and could not be revived, so I got a new one. Other than that all fine. I would probably not recommend a battery tender on it for so long...just remove the battery.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #12
Amanofdragons

Drives: none(yet)
How many miles on it? If you were closer I'd probably buy it for that price. Good luck and thank you for your service.
Amanofdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #13
John Deere Boy
I bleed green

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3
Pull the battery out of the car if it won't be started for 2 years. If VA is as humid as SC, i would ask someone to put a fresh bucket of DampRid in the cabin every couple months in the summer. Never had a car cover, but i would be worried about it blowing in the wind and rubbing off paint.

2011 2SS/RS LS3. Delivered 4/18/11. Solo Axle-back with J-pipes and quads, 35% tint, Yellow trim kit, Showstopper sidemarkers, babied garage queen.
2006 Silverado 3500 6.0, 1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSE
John Deere Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #14
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
If it is going to sit for that long you will need to plan on also bringing it back to life.

Pull the battery and don't bother trying to save it. Maybe donate it to someone.
Topped off with straight gas hopefully run a tank of straight gas through and then top off. You may need to drain the gas when bringing it out of storage.
Try to store it with no weight on the suspension so the springs can stay relaxed.
Use as many techniques as you can to keep rodents out.
Use the moisture buckets mentioned earlier.

This is all assuming it is important to keep THIS car as mentioned. If not that important it will be cheaper in the long run to sell and rebuy later.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote