2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:53 PM   #16
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
I've got the stock SS 1LE brakes broken in and have laid a good transfer layer on the rotors then went for my second blast through the mountains. That being said, GOD BLESS anyone who uses these brakes to their full potential and then feels the need to upgrade. Stock fluid and pads feel amazing I'm sure a pad and fluid upgrade would only make these even better. Keep in mind a lot more than just overall diameter goes into engineering a good balanced brake setup. Remember the ZL1 is more nose heavy so it's brake bias front to rear is probably not optimized for the 1LE.

IMO nothing on this car should be modified until you have been on track and are consistently exceeding its limits. 95% of us will never need more than what this car is off the showroom floor.
If you are adding a supercharger as the OP is considering, it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade the brakes.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:45 AM   #17
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
Outside of engine, transmission, front brakes, spring and sway tuning, I believe they are identical. It's already been written that the 1LE is the better handling of the two. Likely because of its lack of additional weight from the supercharger and its extra coolers. Read Motor Trend's review of the ZL1.
Nothing worse than added nose weight, along with higher CG.
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:46 AM   #18
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Quote:

IMO nothing on this car should be modified until you have been on track and are consistently exceeding its limits. 95% of us will never need more than what this car is off the showroom floor.
I couldn't agree more, except for changing fluids, s/s brake lines, pads, 5-6 pt belts and harness bar for tracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
If you are adding a supercharger as the OP is considering, it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade the brakes.
I am just contemplating what changes would be needed to a stock 1LE for SC vs bumping power on NA basis, but I have no eminent plans to do either. Right now I am just curious how the added weight is distributed on a ZL1 and what did GM do to accommodate that added weight. My guess is the larger brakes have more to do with the added power than a few hundred pounds weight difference.

Last edited by DFW1LE; 12-27-2016 at 08:42 AM.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:04 AM   #19
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Does anybody know for sure what class the SCCA is placing this car is for autocross and such?
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:42 AM   #20
DFW1LE

Perhaps my curiosity in 1LE vs ZLI differences are premature and really should wait until the Z/28 comes out. I for one, am hoping the Z/28 is a lighter weight, NA car, and if that is the case, it might be a better one to compare against the 1LE.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #21
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
I couldn't agree more, except for changing fluids, s/s brake lines, pads, 5-6 pt belts and harness bar for tracking.

I am just contemplating what changes would be needed to a stock 1LE for SC vs bumping power on NA basis, but I have no eminent plans to do either. Right now I am just curious how the added weight is distributed on a ZL1 and what did GM do to accommodate that added weight. My guess is the larger brakes have more to do with the added power than a few hundred pounds weight difference.
The larger rotors and pads are to dissipate heat better. When tracking a heavy car you're generating a lot more heat a lot faster. Nothing to do with power.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #22
DFW1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
The larger rotors and pads are to dissipate heat better. When tracking a heavy car you're generating a lot more heat a lot faster. Nothing to do with power.
When you stop a heavier car that might be going at a faster speed at the end of long straight, you will generate a lot of heat, so a cars weight and HP and speed potential have everything to do about brake size.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:06 PM   #23
Thor142

Quote:
When you stop a heavier car that might be going at a faster speed at the end of long straight, you will generate a lot of heat, so a cars weight and HP and speed potential have everything to do about brake size.
OK. Not trying to start a pissing match here but it's not HP only weight. If you have a 700hp car that weighs 3000lbs you need less brake than a 4000lb car making 650hp.
Which car will be going faster at the end of a long straight?
Which car will be able to scrub off speed faster?
Which car will generate more heat (friction) scrubbing off speed?
Which car needs more braking surface to dissipate the heat?
Old 12-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #24
pullthatwigback

Drives: brz...
Quote:
OK. Not trying to start a pissing match here but it's not HP only weight. If you have a 700hp car that weighs 3000lbs you need less brake than a 4000lb car making 650hp.
But this is because you are comparing things that aren't on the same scale. Brakes counter act a force. That force is affected by weight and speed. Hp relates to speed. They both alter the amount of braking needed.
pullthatwigback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #25
DFW1LE

Quote:
I understand your point and agree with weight being a major factor, but I'm not sure you are appreciating what I am saying. On the track that I have run on in the past, I suspect the terminal velocity of a ZL1 at the end of the straight would be higher than that of the 1LE's. It takes power and quicker acceleration to achieve that higher velocity. For the ZL1 to effectively stop its higher weight and its ability to achieve a higher terminal velocity on many circuits calls for bigger brakes. That is my point, yes its weight, but the ZL1s ability go faster over the same distance is also a factor. Just take two identically weighted vehicles, with one hitting 140 MPH at the end of the straight while the other can only achieve 125, which car do you think would heat the brakes faster and benefit from larger brake surface area?
Old 12-27-2016, 02:18 PM   #26
Thor142

Quote:
I understand your point and agree with weight being a major factor, but I'm not sure you are appreciating what I am saying. On the track that I have run on in the past, I suspect the terminal velocity of a ZL1 at the end of the straight would be higher than that of the 1LE's. It takes power and quicker acceleration to achieve that higher velocity. For the ZL1 to effectively stop its higher weight and its ability to achieve a higher terminal velocity on many circuits calls for bigger brakes. That is my point, yes its weight, but the ZL1s ability go faster over the same distance is also a factor. Just take two identically weighted vehicles, with one hitting 140 MPH at the end of the straight while the other can only achieve 125, which car do you think would heat the brakes faster and benefit from larger brake surface area?
If they are the same weight with the same brakes they will slow down at the exact same rate. Scrubbing off an additional 15mph may take an extra fraction of a second. Marginal. Inconsequential. The heavier the car the harder the calipers have to grab the rotor to scrub off the same amount of speed as a lighter car. The more friction it makes. The more heat it makes. When we're talking track braking we're talking maximum braking force in very short distances. Even if the 2017 ZL1 and the 2017 1LE (just for examples) are going the EXACT same speed at the end of said straight, the ZL1 is going to generate much more heat to scrub off the same speed in the same distance. Weight, not horsepower.
Again not trying to be a keyboard commando. Just having a discussion.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:22 PM   #27
Gen5er
Mack da M1SS1LE

Drives: 2017 Summit White 1SS 1LE
Quote:
I've got the stock SS 1LE brakes broken in and have laid a good transfer layer on the rotors then went for my second blast through the mountains. That being said, GOD BLESS anyone who uses these brakes to their full potential and then feels the need to upgrade. Stock fluid and pads feel amazing I'm sure a pad and fluid upgrade would only make these even better. Keep in mind a lot more than just overall diameter goes into engineering a good balanced brake setup. Remember the ZL1 is more nose heavy so it's brake bias front to rear is probably not optimized for the 1LE.

The inital brake dust layer seems to be extremely thick. Is this normal?
I've got over 500 miles and the brake dust is ridiculous. Can I look forward to this all the time?
Old 12-27-2016, 02:54 PM   #28
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
If they are the same weight with the same brakes they will slow down at the exact same rate. Scrubbing off an additional 15mph may take an extra fraction of a second. Marginal. Inconsequential. The heavier the car the harder the calipers have to grab the rotor to scrub off the same amount of speed as a lighter car. The more friction it makes. The more heat it makes. When we're talking track braking we're talking maximum braking force in very short distances. Even if the 2017 ZL1 and the 2017 1LE (just for examples) are going the EXACT same speed at the end of said straight, the ZL1 is going to generate much more heat to scrub off the same speed in the same distance. Weight, not horsepower.
Again not trying to be a keyboard commando. Just having a discussion.
Sorry, DFW1LE is right.

Kinetic Energy = 1/2 (mass) * (velocity)^2

Mass and velocity play a role for sure, but the energy will rise exponentially with velocity. Your statement above claims the velocity increase to be negligible and this is not true.
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote