Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
Midnight Maro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS W/ Kenne Bell 2.8LC SC
header leak => "Service StabiliTrak" + Possible missfire = HELP!

Hey all,

I've been reading through the forums and have been getting hints on what may be wrong with the black beauty... Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated.

About 6 months ago I installed some long tube headers. The last 3 months a small header leak started at the block. (yeah I need to replace the gasket, just haven't had the time). Yesterday the "Service StabiliTrak" message came up on the console and about ten minutes later the engine started running really rough. Sputtering at Idle a little. The CES light flashes when the StabiliTrak message pops up... they will go away for 5 minutes still while the engine in running rough and then come back. I'm curious if the header leak is causing the pre-detonation sensor to go off and pull power from the engine or in fact I might have an engine misfire.

From reading through the forums, I gotten mixed information. One thread says to check the spark plugs in case one got cracked during the header install or the wires are loose, but it seems weird to me that this would happen 6 months after install. This would explain the misfire, just not the instant change in the engine performance.

The other thought on header leak causing a "ping" sound and setting off the detonation sensor.. not sure if it would even do this.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I know I've got some work to do on this one, just looking in what direction to start. Thanks a ton!

1/4: 13.330 @ 105.52 MPH - bone stock
Midnight Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Exhaust leaks can cause erratic fuel trims, which in turn can cause poor fueling and misfires. Check the codes, probably a p0300 and either a p0171 or p0174 depending on which side the header leak is on. Lean and misfire codes will cause the stabilitrak to turn on and off and give you error codes, see it all the time at work.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
My suggestion would be to replace the gasket and check the things that were advised...........instead of grasping at straws.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
1985airborne
One Slow Automatic

Drives: 2017 GS 2010 CAMARO SS
I have the same issue my ss is currently at a dealership being checked out. I got a p0300 code at wot then the cel blinks repeatedly along with the tractiin control light going off...i also have clunking sound like metal is dragging.., so wierd ..i jacked the car up to see if something came loose;everything was fine. I changed all the spark plugs aswell...im lost...
Old 05-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
PremoDeluxe

Drives: 2012 Camero SS 45th anniversary
I had the same issue 2 weeks ago .. I installed LT headers and after I finished started the car and my stability track and check engine came on.. Called onstar to do a scan and it was a miss fire . When I took it to Chevy down the street they scanned it and said while installing I must have cracked a spark plug so they fixed the plug and It worked no codes and drives like a charm
PremoDeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote