Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-19-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Return of the El Camino. Ute Sport Truck G8 GT Pontiac

http://jalopnik.com/cars/industry-ne...gon-324251.php

"
It would seem that although GM product czar "Maximum" Bob Lutz may be the #2 man at GM and the #1 man in our hearts, it appears he may have lost the battle for making a new GM ute a GMC. While we're disappointed we won't be able to continue hearing his excited desire for a "Caballero," we're excited about news this morning from Automotive News that is quite possibly the most important piece of news we'll see on these pages this year. Here's the scoop -- as we've already reported -- we won't be getting a new Chevy El Camino. However, we will be getting a ute stateside based on the Holden and it'll be branded with the badge all about driving excitement. That's right kids, it'll be a Pontiac -- but not just any Pontiac. It'll be a Pontiac G8. But wait, there's more.

We're also told we'll be getting a RWD wagon based on the Commodore -- and it'll also be a Pontiac G8. So basically the G8's going to become a mini-RWD lineup under the Pontiac badge with the sedan, ute and wagon all bearing the alpha-numeric name -- and all based on the Holden versions. So yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus and he's Australian. Who knew?

"

So it looks good that we will get both the Ute and Wagon version of the G8! Awesome! This is a great thing, as it really strengthens the brand, and opens up lots of possibilities!

Personally, I want a G8 Wagon with an LS3 in it! Dragon Wagon Ahoy!

~LSx

EDIT: some more good photos of this wagon here:
http://www.motortrend.com/features/a.../photo_01.html
Old 11-19-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Well the Ute would have made a great GMC, and I'm not sure how it will translate as a G8. I was hoping the Ute would come Stateside though. This seems kind of odd though, since they wanted to limit Buick, Pontiac, and GMC to about 3 or 4 models each. I hope they don't make the Pontiac lineup 3 G8s and the Solstice. Landyacht, Landyacht, Landyacht, and midgetmobile doesn't exactly scream "success" to me.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #3
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
Ute coming as the G8 ST

i was browsen threw utube when i came across the el-camino looken car from holden.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=acNkX1RY8CA

i personaly dont like the look but all the technology behide it is pretty amazing.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
jmsjags

Drives: '02 Mustang GT
That's what the G8 ST is based on.
jmsjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Ute coming as the G8 ST

We knew the Holden Ute was coming but according to this it will be the G8 ST (Sport Truck) and have the L76.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...k-ar51242.html
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Cool!! I really think this will be a hit in the states. People looking for a mild-use, small 'pickup' of sorts, while also have a yearning for performance.
This is one awesome car.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:36 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Not bad. But, I hope production #'s will be low. I don't know about ya'll, but I don't see too many being sold. I just don't see the need for the public. Hey, I could be wrong and I sure do hope the sell.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
I like Pontiac.. but no offense, I don't really like this truck. :\. Hopefully they sell though..

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I like this car or truck, what ever it is. But I see it as much more of a novelty than a practical vehicle. Still cool though
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:29 AM   #10
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Review of Holden VE Utility (G8 ST) from InsideLine

Quote:
So, You Need To Haul? Oh, You Need To Haul Something...

Well, it's practically official. Sometime after the 2008 Pontiac G8 goes on sale next year, a truck-style utility will join the G8 family as kind of a throwback to the Chevy El Camino. Only Pontiac will get this version of the Australian-built Holden Commodore SS, so GMC is out of luck.

We saw an article recently about the latest personal fashion statement — a wristwatch that doesn't actually tell the time. The most Zen-like of the bunch we saw was the one that simply had "NOW" stamped on its face. The idea here is that a thing becomes more exclusive by not doing the job expected of it.

And there, pretty much explained, is the 2007 Holden VE Ute.

It's a pickup truck, only it doesn't have much payload. That's because this pickup is trying to imitate a sport sedan, and a sport sedan that also happens to be fast, sophisticated and highly acclaimed. And to wrap up the wrongness, this pickup is not only cheaper than its sport sedan sibling, it's also faster.

So That's What You Mean by "Out Back"?
The "coupe-utility" passenger car/pickup truck crossover was invented by Ford Australia in 1934, and then Holden followed with the first all-Australian design in 1951. But for the ute's transition to luxury-performance territory, we have to thank the Yanks.

Two examples of the first Ford ute (based on the 1932 Ford coupe) were shipped to Detroit in 1935. Henry Ford personally told his designers to do something similar to these "kangaroo chasers." It took them 20 years to get around to it, but the 1957 Ford Ranchero was far more luxurious and potent than any skinny-assed, six-cylinder Aussie ute of the next decade or two. Successful, too. So much so that Chevy created the El Camino to take it on.

The new Holden VE ute continues the coupelike evolution of the ute into a unified body that really began with Holden's VU-VZ generation, launched in 2001. Ford's rival Falcon utility still separates the cabin from the cargo bed.

Style is important, because many of the people who'll be buying the VE ute are tradesmen made good. With a fleet of Japanese pickups to do his dirty work for the employees, a $42,000 ute full of sport-sedan fixings is the boss' way of saying that he hasn't forgotten his roots.

Weighty Matters, or Are They?
Holden had a hard act to follow in the VU-VZ, which had blossomed into models that ranged from crude 1-ton V6s to four-wheel-drive crew cabs and even included a lowered SS sports powered by a 6.0-liter L76 V8, plus a bunch of iterations in between.

Only one of the four new Holden VE models — the steel-wheeled, 260-horsepower V6 Omega — is an obvious workhorse. The luxed-up SS V with a six-speed automatic as seen here is rated for a payload of 1,120 pounds.

Built on the long-wheelbase architecture of the Holden WM Statesman/Caprice, this ute's cabin is every inch as spacious as the sedan for its two occupants. Special thought has been given to storage space in the doors, behind the seats (a motorcycle helmet fits behind the driver) and even in a pair of telephone book-size compartments in the rear bulkhead.

Underneath, 77 percent of the ute's toughed-up structure is made from high-strength steel, a key to Holden's boast that the ute's torsional strength is within 10 percent of that of the VE Commodore sedan.

Suspension is fundamentally the same as the VE sedan's, with struts and a wishbone up front and a multilink independent rear arrangement. Comparing the SS V ute with the similar sedan, the truck's rear spring rates are 58 percent stiffer and there's a stiffer front antiroll bar.

Making Some Noise
The sedan-sourced interior brings firmly supportive yet adequately spacious seats, a mile of headroom and a widely adjustable driving position, including a height-adjustable seat cushion and a tilt-telescoping adjustable steering wheel.

The SS V's sporting theme goes a tad OTT with our example's bold, baboon's-ass interior, as a bright red color features in the almost illegible instrumentation and cheesy gauges.

Despite first impressions of a lower beltline than the sedan's, visibility is an issue in the ute. The windscreen is framed by thick A-pillars (the side curtain airbags are inside, something Aussies are just getting used to), the small windows behind the B-pillar aren't particularly useful for making safe lane changes and the tall tailgate makes one wish for a proximity sensor to register distances during parking. (You get one up front, when the low-hanging spoiler grinds onto a curb.)

All of which might encourage one to avoid obstacle-strewn construction sites and head for one's favorite roads.

Keep on Truckin'
We head for a lumpy, patched section of asphalt that shimmies through bushland outside Sydney. A well-sorted sedan will soak up the low-amplitude bumps and maintain its composure through the heavier hits; a crude pickup will bounce, shudder and struggle for traction out of the tight corners. The Holden ute is somewhere in between.

At cruise on the highway, the SS V ute is a real license-loser.

Oh, sure, there's performance available from this 362-hp V8. Testing indicates this ute will get to 60 mph in 5.6 seconds and then cross the line in the quarter-mile in 13.8 seconds, making this trick truck a tenth or two faster than an equivalent four-door.

Weight doesn't explain it, since this 3,981-pound ute actually pips the sedan's weight by 2 pounds.

As quick as this ute runs, you're encouraged to leave the six-speed automatic transmission in Sport mode. While the drivetrain feels lazy and indecisive in Normal, the Sport gets this pickup on the ball, and you hold gears almost to the V8's 6,000-rpm redline and then get throttle blips on downshifts. The overall gearing is generally tall, with the engine turning just 1,500 rpm at 62 mph.

The (Speed) Building Industry
What'll lose your license, however, is that this ute builds inertia with deceptive quietness and comfort. Aside from the rather noisy but supremely grippy 19-inch Bridgestone RE050 tires, there's disappointingly little aural input from the V8 up front or the quad exhaust pipes out back.

And this is also just a damn fast and fine-handling car. Next to the VE Commodore, the ute shows an amazingly similar ability to soak up smaller bumps within its otherwise firm ride. Only in faster going do the firm steering and suspension lack the subtlety of balance and feedback that makes the sedan such a standout.

There's less roll during cornering than in the sedan, but you feel the consequences because the suspension is more easily flustered by heavy hits to the wheels. With a surprising amount of initial suspension compliance and tire grip from the rear — even in damp corners, where the stability control only rarely cuts in — the ute feels more like an especially heavy sedan than a flighty buckboard-style truck.

Time Traveller
Critics can point to the new VE ute's slight compromise in practicality with its unimpressive payload rating, but they'll generally be the same sort of folks who still think it's remarkable to see a stockbroker astride a Harley-Davidson.

Fact is, most Aussies believe the ute has been transformed in recent years into a two-door sport coupe with a unique ability to swallow several other lifestyles. And in filling this role, the 2007 Holden VE Ute is very NOW — totally functional in a fashion sort of way.
I like it a lot! But i just cant see that many people buying one.
Attached Images

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:17 PM   #11
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I'm sure it will be low volume, but Pontiac will be a niche brand anyway, so it fits. This will be a great competitor to the Tacoma X-Runner. So its looking like GMC will be showing a 4 door concept of this soon. I think a 4 door sport truck and the wagon would have been great for GMC, but the wagon is now apparently not coming stateside. They would have been good companion vehicles to the Acadia though.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:34 PM   #12
wohho

Drives: 99 Audi A4; 64 Lincoln Conti
Wow! New Pontiac G8 El Camino just came out!

I just saw this come out - first pictures I've seen of the new Pontiac G8 ute, and GM wants everybody to help name it!

There's a ton of pictures and video at http://jalopnik.com/366699/2010-pont...camino-is-back
wohho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:31 AM   #13
unkbd

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Looks more like a cross between a grand am and that little truck that subaru used to make. At least I think it was subaru.
unkbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:38 AM   #14
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1, 2017 Colorado Z71
The First Ever G8 Brat?