Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 09-09-2017, 08:13 AM   #1
Btrbimmer

Drives: 2SS 1LE Silver w/Recaro NPP
Rear Brake cooling ideas?

I have not seen any threads about adding cooling for the rear brakes. As I move to a more aggressive rear pad compound, in an effort to shift more brake bias to the rear, its logical to assume more heat will be generated. My concern is not necessarily brake fade from heat, it is longevity of the rather expensive race pads.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to increase cooling in the rear?

I noticed the "splash shields/backing plates" on the rear are substantial and cover the entire rotor area. I believe the purpose of these plates is to prevent debris and water from hitting the brakes and also minimize the heat exposure to all the rear bushings on the rear spindle, which there are several.

One idea is to open up the plate by adding simple 2" holes for ventilation in areas that are not adjacent to a suspension bushing.

What are the pros and cons?

Here are few pictures to help illustrate the idea.
Attached Images

Btrbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #2
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I'd be careful with trimming any of the rear dust shield. Remember the rear rotor also acts as a drum brake for the parking brake. So any debris that makes its way into the rear drum portion on the back side is likely to cause bigger problems for you.

I think the best first step might be to find a rotor that is better designed to move more air acting like a centrifugal fan wheel to pump more air through the center of it as it rotates.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #3
Btrbimmer

An improved rotor is certainly a great suggestion, and would complement any additional cooling mods. (StopTech AeroRotors - 81.193.9912 about $1200)
I see your point about debris. My car is used almost exclusively for track event and fair weather driving, so I'm not very concerned about debris or water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
I'd be careful with trimming any of the rear dust shield. Remember the rear rotor also acts as a drum brake for the parking brake. So any debris that makes its way into the rear drum portion on the back side is likely to cause bigger problems for you.

I think the best first step might be to find a rotor that is better designed to move more air acting like a centrifugal fan wheel to pump more air through the center of it as it rotates.

Last edited by Btrbimmer; 09-09-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:25 AM   #4
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrbimmer View Post
An improved rotor is certainly a great suggestion, and would complement any additional cooling mods. (StopTech AeroRotors - 81.193.9912 about $1200)
I see your point about debris. My car is used almost exclusively for track event and fair weather driving, so I'm not very concerned about debris or water.
If you only use it for tracking maybe there is a parking brake delete kit you could get which would then open up the rear inside of the rotor for even better rotor designs. And then you would have more freedom to trim the dust shield more.

But just because you use it mostly for track only I would not discount debris as a concern. In fact I would almost say that I get more debris damage on my car (especially the front) from track driving then I do from street driving. Tracks are very dirty compared to the streets.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #5
Btrbimmer

I don't see it as being much different than removing the shields on the front brakes, which is common practice for track cars. The chances of debris working its way into the parking brake drum section of the rear rotor is pretty slim, and if it did happen, it would not impact braking on the track which is my focus. The biggest different between front and rear is the proximity to bushings and pivot joints which may be susceptible to heat, although the rear does not generate nearly as much heat as the front. I was not considering complete removal of the shield because it seems necessary to shield the bushings from heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
If you only use it for tracking maybe there is a parking brake delete kit you could get which would then open up the rear inside of the rotor for even better rotor designs. And then you would have more freedom to trim the dust shield more.

But just because you use it mostly for track only I would not discount debris as a concern. In fact I would almost say that I get more debris damage on my car (especially the front) from track driving then I do from street driving. Tracks are very dirty compared to the streets.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #6
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
First picture bottom two helps a lot as well as third picture above caliper. 6th gen is cut on top by caliper for extra cooling.

You can also cut a flat at bottom of shield to expose more rotor face just dont expose bushings.

Last edited by Mgizzle; 09-09-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #7
Btrbimmer

Would you be able to provide any pictures of the 6th gen brake shield?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
First picture bottom two helps a lot as well as third picture above caliper. 6th gen is cut on top by caliper for extra cooling.

You can also cut a flat at bottom of shield to expose more rotor face just dont expose bushings.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #8
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Best I could find on internet. Ask a few 6th gen guys to take some better pics. But notice right above caliperno shield.
Attached Images